• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction Baltimore....1st session..Friday Sept 8

173 posts in this topic

Ive done it too. When you dont plan ahead for phone bidding, and the piece isnt too expensive, the 5% to be able to bid at all is easier to swallow. But If Im going after a BIG item I sure would plan ahead and do it right. My guess is Mimsy just rationalized it as the only way to go.

Does anyone know who this is? I checked his/her ebay feedback and don't recognize any of the sellers he/she dealt with previously.

I have to say I am dumbfounded by this bid. Totally appears out of character for this bidder. Most of his/her prior ebay purchases are very low dollar items. Plus I cannot for the life of me understand why ANYONE would place such a high bid through ebay of all things. That alone would have added 5% to the final price for the buyer.

I am not implying anything by the above, but I just find it screwy.gif

Mimsy111 has bid on a number of my eBay auctions in the past. I don't know who he or she is, because they have never ended up winning any of my auctions. I believe it probably was a real bid though.

I'm just speculating, but maybe the bid was placed through eBay because this particular individual is unfamiliar with Heritage's website?

I agree. Before I joined these boards I won a couple of Heritage books off Ebay. I had no clue about the additional 5% at the time.

Wanted the Fight 31 CGC 7.5 (graphically violent war cover) despite the diagonal tear at the bottom of the cover, and the Beware 11 (man trapped with rats cover) which I thought was a tad overgraded. Both books ended up at 4X Overstreet, despite being moderately priced when the internet bidding ended. frown.gif

I wanted the Fight #31 as well (a serious upgrade from my POS copy), but my 3X guide bid (inc. premium) was topped before internet bidding ended.

frown.gif I wasn't too surprised as I suspected it would probably sell for around $1000. The guide continues to seriously undervalue this book.

And I too wanted this book, and was actually high bidder after the internet bidding ended. Too bad the price doubled after that. frown.giftonofbricks.gif

Not that it really matters, but are you sure you were the high internet bidder. My online max was $724 with BP, and I was outbid before floor bidding even opened. The book sold for $956 with BP - or only about 33% over my max internet bid.

I believe the Reign of the Superman fanzine from 1991 Sotherbys Auction had a pre auction estimate of 30k if you look at the catolog[thats 17 yeras ago pre auction estimate of 30k. So I dont think I did that bad with this piece considering that.

Also it did not sell at the Sotherbys Auction for 3k. It had a pre auction estimate of 25 to 30 k so I dought the seller let it go for 3k.

Steve I believe owned it before the Sotherbys Auction if Im reading his post correctly.

I bought it at the Ackerman auction for 3k. Sold it to Mark Wilson a year later. I believe he put it in the Sothebys auction.

Steve

Mastronet sold another(?) copy of Reign of the Superman a couple of years ago. Don't understand how the one at Heritage could be so much more valuable - am I missing something?

I believe the Reign of the Superman fanzine from 1991 Sotherbys Auction had a pre auction estimate of 30k if you look at the catolog[thats 17 yeras ago pre auction estimate of 30k. So I dont think I did that bad with this piece considering that.

Also it did not sell at the Sotherbys Auction for 3k. It had a pre auction estimate of 25 to 30 k so I dought the seller let it go for 3k.

Steve I believe owned it before the Sotherbys Auction if Im reading his post correctly.

I bought it at the Ackerman auction for 3k. Sold it to Mark Wilson a year later. I believe he put it in the Sothebys auction.

Steve

Mastronet sold another(?) copy of Reign of the Superman a couple of years ago. Don't understand how the one at Heritage could be so much more valuable - am I missing something?

The one in the 1991 Sotheby's auction was part of a (moderately restored) set of Science Fiction Nos. 1-5 (not just #3) and the entire set had a preauction estimate of $25,000 to $35,000. I don't have my auction results sheet handy though, so I don't know what the set sold for.

Why the 1st concieved appearence of the name Superman should only go for 4,700.00 at that time is beyond me.I certainly realize the extrordinary importance of the very beginning of the Superman concept in this book.Certainly one of the most and maybe the MOST important piece in comic book history coupled with extrodinary rarity[4 copies]....I think you will agree that someone got an a SUPER BARGAIN at that price. I think this book comming from the Mcqualthlin collection [the 47k one] helped put an exclamation point on how important this book is.

To me ,I didnt blink. Its worth the money no question.

That 4,700 copy looks very lose and fragile.Are there possibly pages missing to explain the low price?