• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs PGX grading

106 posts in this topic

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, don't know "what" it was about my post that necessitated removing it??? I felt I was simply making an honest, fair, and factual statement of events 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Bizarre, the CGC moderators must be a tad tempermental to censor that post confused-smiley-013.gif

maybe they deleted it because it was inflammatory, near-libelous and - now, this is coming from someone who's slabbed a total of 3 books in his life and owns an additional six beyond that - a giant, steaming pile of horse manure.

truthfully, i'm surprised you didn't get a strike. it was a b.s. thing to say, and to categorise it as "honest" or "factual" is a joke

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, a STRIKE???? for what exactly?...that's comical, truly.

and please, i'd LOVE to learn about what I wrote that wasn't true???? pray tell? i'm all eyes?

prevarication, isn't my style dude

sleeping.gif

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, don't know "what" it was about my post that necessitated removing it??? I felt I was simply making an honest, fair, and factual statement of events 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Bizarre, the CGC moderators must be a tad tempermental to censor that post confused-smiley-013.gif

maybe they deleted it because it was inflammatory, near-libelous and - now, this is coming from someone who's slabbed a total of 3 books in his life and owns an additional six beyond that - a giant, steaming pile of horse manure.

truthfully, i'm surprised you didn't get a strike. it was a b.s. thing to say, and to categorise it as "honest" or "factual" is a joke

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, a STRIKE???? for what exactly?...that's comical, truly.

and please, i'd LOVE to learn about what I wrote that wasn't true???? pray tell? i'm all eyes?

prevarication, isn't my style dude

sleeping.gif

i dunno, maybe the part that got the post pulled was something we shouldn't really be discussing. all i know is that nearmint immediately said you were wrong, and i was in the process of following his post up when it was pulled by a moderator. it might have been up for all of two minutes.

having something to do with criminal activity within the hobby and a comparison of thru which grading service had the majority of incidents come from would be the gist of it without getting into specifics i believe. it was a highly charged accusation, the type of which will never get a free pass around here.

if anyone wants further info, i suggest they ask a mod why it was enough to warrant being pulled.

and i stand by my earlier comments

Thank you all for your comments.

I stand by the following statements.

One of many existing discussions...

PGX vs CGC

There are a TON of OPINIONS on the subject,

so here's a quick statement of FACTS, before I give my opinion.

CGC is the standard for professionally graded books, by a huge margin,

in terms of total books graded, acceptance by major national dealers and auction houses,

and in major industry publications.

Given these facts, here's my opinion:

If someone uses PGX instead of CGC, despite the facts above, they are either:

A) Cheap (since PGX is cheaper than CGC)

B) Sneaky (since CGC might catch whatever they're trying to hide)

C) Anti-CGC (just giving money to the competition out of spite)

D) near Eugene, Oregon (since PGX would be the local grading company)

E) Ignorant (not recognizing the industry signs, or not doing any research)

F) Other

As a regular buyer of comic books on Ebay, I am generally not interested

in dealing with comic book sellers who are Cheap, Sneaky, or Ignorant.

Sellers who are Anti-CGC might be ok if they actually know how to grade,

but I can't find that out until after I've paid. So that's risky.

Sellers who live near Eugene, Oregon, can't be a huge number of people,

so even if they're great, I won't encounter them often.

If there is some other reason to use PGX (such as a love for the plastic holder),

then I wonder why they didn't buy just archival boards and nice mylar holders?

My conclusion: People who use PGX may be good people, but the "signs" point

to them also being someone who I would not want to deal with as a buyer of their books.

(Not every single person, of course, but the overall risks seem too much for me to "hope" for rewards.)

Your own mileage may vary.

If you are SELLING a PGX book, I won't be buying.

If I ever buy a PGX book, I'll assume the grade is lower than the label, and bid accordingly.

We'll get to why at the end of this post.

If you aren't SELLING a PGX book, then who cares what the "non-existent buyer" thinks?

I didn't say EVERYONE who uses PGX is a CROOK.

If you're the greatest guy on earth, which most of you OBVIOUSLY are...

then you fit "F) Other" in my list of people who use PGX. Congrats.

Congrats on this great honor you've bestowed upon yourself. stooges.gif

People still buy from Hammer every day. They're great people too. I'm sure.

They don't care what anyone thinks... they know what's right for them.

Fantastic.

This is all my OPINION, and it is an INFORMED OPINION.

PGX just isn't an option for me AS A BUYER.

There's CGC, and there's backer boards with mylars.

These are ACCEPTIBLE to me as a buyer of comic books.

Unless you're trying to SELL ME a comic, then who cares what I say?

However, there may be others who agree, so you may (not) be selling to them either.

Don't I do the CGC Analysis? Yes. For free. For fun.

I can do PGX Analysis, too... want to see it?

Let's take a book that I know... Shadowman #0.

Here's the PGX census for Shadowman #0:

1. SHADOWMAN #0 (Gold Variant) Mint (9.9)

2. SHADOWMAN #0 Mint (9.9)

3. SHADOWMAN #0 Mint (9.9)

4. SHADOWMAN #0 Mint (9.9)

5. SHADOWMAN #0 Mint (9.9)

6. SHADOWMAN #0 (Gold Variant) Mint (9.9)

7. SHADOWMAN #0 (Gold Variant) Near Mint / Mint (9.8)

8. SHADOWMAN #0 Near Mint / Mint (9.8)

9. SHADOWMAN #0 (Gold Variant) Near Mint / Mint (9.8)

10. SHADOWMAN #0 Near Mint (9.4)

6 books in PGX 9.9, three in PGX 9.8, and a PGX 9.4

60% "MINT" 9.9 ... 60%. Scam.

Thank you, and good night.

ROFL. 27_laughing.gif

I agree with all of the above. It's sad because it's true.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if PGX actually switched to a safe inner holder? Their website does not describe the material used in the inner holder,

and it was last known that they were using PVC and planning to switch to Barex.

I think it was about a year and a half ago Daniel Patterson claimed that they switched to Barex.

That sounds about right. thumbsup2.gif

So can we get a definitive answer on the question of whether the inner sleeve is made with something paper safe?

I have a few PGX books that I've been able to acquire for a good price. I want to know if I need to crack them out to protect them from a harmfull sleeve.

I emailed them to specifically ask what the material of the inner well was made of, and if they used micro chamber paper as well.

I will post the response when I get it.

I have used PGX in the past as I won an auction for 10 free gradings. I submitted the 10 books and they caught restoration on one of the books, I had not seen it, but I really do not inspect well enough to find it. On the other books they were higher/lower and the same as my grades but overall about .5 lower on average

Even though I have more confidence in CGC I greatly believe in the free enterprise system and competition, so I for one hope that PGX continues and gets better. There needs to be a viable competitor to CGC and so far PGX is it. I do not plan on selling more than 1 or 2 of the books that I have had slabbed for quite a while

Also I do like the PGX holder way more than the CGC holder. I feel that it protects the book much better and stacks much neater.

I do like the much quicker turn around and the price is much better. I am glad that theyfinally have a Census up and running and that it now has my 10 books on. They were graded last fall and the last time I checked( prior to yesterday) none were included.

This book got a 5.0 with off white pages

1394284-detec225.jpg

1394284-detec225.jpg.9924c1402e27886b24948dc6450efddb.jpg

I live in Oregon, about 30 minutes from Eugene, have met and know Daniel. He is a hard working guy and works to get his business going. That said, I have 2 comics graded by him and I am sending one of them to CGC to get re-graded as it was mis-labeled.

One of my friends who owns a comic store in town loves PGX however, and I would not call him sneaky, cheap, anti-cgc, or ignorant. Most of the time he just sends in $75-100 books.

I do agree with him that the PGX cases are better, in that the books do not slide in the case.

One of my friends who owns a comic store in town loves PGX however, and I would not call him sneaky, cheap, anti-cgc, or ignorant.

Maybe there should have been a category for people near Eugene, Oregon then. gossip.gif

A) Cheap (since PGX is cheaper than CGC)

B) Sneaky (since CGC might catch whatever they're trying to hide)

C) Anti-CGC (just giving money to the competition out of spite)

D) near Eugene, Oregon (since PGX would be the local grading company)

E) Ignorant (not recognizing the industry signs, or not doing any research)

F) Other

Just in case anyone's arriving late to this conversation...

2 of the 6 categories are "bad"... Cheap & Sneaky

1 of the 6 categories is "default"... Ignorant (we all start that way)

1 of the 6 categories is "political"... Anti-CGC

1 of the 6 categories is "geographic"... near Eugene, Oregon

and

1 of the 6 categories is potentially "good"... Other (fill in the "goodness" blank)

Everyone should spend their own dollars where they feel comfortable.

My goal was to caution anyone who might not be aware of A) and B),

though no one on this website fits that description... cloud9.gif

(The entire universe of PGX sellers in the world, however, will fit a variety of these descriptions.) hi.gif

I got the reply that they are indeed using Barex and they use Micro Chamber paper as well.

This one got a 7.0 with white pages which I was happy with. but unfortunately they do not clearly differentiate Gold Versus Silver age book so it is mixed in with all the rest of the Green Lanterns on the Census

1398878-gl14f.jpg

1398878-gl14f.jpg.7f66e24e1633b87ea2ceae8de2b9fafc.jpg

I got the reply that they are indeed using Barex and they use Micro Chamber paper as well.

This one got a 7.0 with white pages which I was happy with. but unfortunately they do not clearly differentiate Gold Versus Silver age book so it is mixed in with all the rest of the Green Lanterns on the Census

1398878-gl14f.jpg

Wowser!!!! That is one beautiful cover! hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Also I do like the PGX holder way more than the CGC holder. I feel that it protects the book much better and stacks much neater.

I do like the much quicker turn around and the price is much better

Based on my personal experience, PGX holders are superior to CGC holders. The Leder connection is my major concern with PGX.