• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 1

59 posts in this topic

Hi all hi.gif I just sold a major golden age book and am thinking of acquiring my grail book which is Batman 1. I am looking for an unrestored copy with nice eye appeal. I saw Metro is selling one for 4.5 raw.

http://metropoliscomics.com/data/Image/gallery/bat1.6159_thumb.jpg

do you think its a 4.5? I think it fits the grade...i am worried if i send it to CGC and it comes back a 3.0-3.5 then I think the price is too high...will metro reimburse? any recommendations? appreciate it guys. Thanks!

Call Metropolis and see if you can work it all out beforehand. Some dealers will offer a "buy-back" if the book comes in MORE than a half a grade off. That way, they still have a 1/2 grade cushion....not too unreasonable as grading can be a bit subjective sometimes. But I'd get it all settled with them first; don't just assume they'll refund your money if it comes back a full grade less than what they are grading it. Just my 2 cents.....

Phil

Hi Benz,

I have trouble deciding how to grade it (I have looked at it several times myself via the scans). Here is my breakdown

Positives

1. pages and cover seem pretty bright. I would ask page and interior cover brightness (i.e. W, OW/W, OW, etc).

2. Perfect registration of the colors (my #1 doesn't have near as nice registration).

3. Clean staples with no rust (based on the scan).

Negatives

1. Spine roll (although slight).

2. No back cover scan.

How would CGC grade it? Anyones guess. If I bought it, I think I would be pretty happy even at $17k. I say check the page quality and get a scan of the back cover. If it checks out, pull the trigger.

Two identical looking books are for sale:

1)One is raw graded by Metropolis as a VG+

2)The second is graded by CGC as a VG+

Questions:

1)Would you pay the same price for both books?

2)Accepting that grading is subjective- will other buyers pay you an equal price for a raw Metropolis Batman 1 in VG+ as a CGC VG+?

Consider whether Is $17,000 a decent price for a CGC VG or VG- (worst case assumption) Batman 1 and you'll have your answer?

I say, buy the book not the label. If you think it is the grade you want, why should it matter what it comes back as? If it looks the way you want it to when you bought it, then it is the grade you were looking for. Go for it. Personally, I'd probably not submit the book. Why not just stick it in a toploader?

I had a rep from Metropolis tell me at Comicon this year that buying raw from them was just as good as buying a CGC graded comic, as thier guy came up with the 10-point grading system anyway. confused-smiley-013.gif

Rob;

This part is true as Fishler is the guy who came up with the 10-point grading system before CGC came into place. gossip.gif

I had a rep from Metropolis tell me at Comicon this year that buying raw from them was just as good as buying a CGC graded comic, as thier guy came up with the 10-point grading system anyway. confused-smiley-013.gif

Rob;

This part is true as Fishler is the guy who came up with the 10-point grading system before CGC came into place. gossip.gif

There is a difference between using the same grading system and grading the same. gossip.gif

Hi Benz,

I have trouble deciding how to grade it (I have looked at it several times myself via the scans). Here is my breakdown

Positives

1. pages and cover seem pretty bright. I would ask page and interior cover brightness (i.e. W, OW/W, OW, etc).

2. Perfect registration of the colors (my #1 doesn't have near as nice registration).

3. Clean staples with no rust (based on the scan).

Negatives

1. Spine roll (although slight).

2. No back cover scan.

How would CGC grade it? Anyones guess. If I bought it, I think I would be pretty happy even at $17k. I say check the page quality and get a scan of the back cover. If it checks out, pull the trigger.

thanks batmanfan! thumbsup2.gif I will do exactly as you say.

Rob;

There is a difference between using the same grading system and grading the same. gossip.gif

Hi Tim, yes this is true. I almost bought a book from Metro graded 6.5 raw. it came back from CGC as a 5.0. why the big disparity I dont know 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I say, buy the book not the label. If you think it is the grade you want, why should it matter what it comes back as? If it looks the way you want it to when you bought it, then it is the grade you were looking for. Go for it. Personally, I'd probably not submit the book. Why not just stick it in a toploader?

well what i appreciate most is CGC to detect restoration. that's my first reason for having it graded...specially for a big book like this. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree, big keys really need that resto check. This book gets resto'd a lot. 51 copies out of 93 have been restored according to CGC census. I don't think that Metropolis would let a restored slide as unrestored. I could be wrong, though.

Our policies regarding restoration is fully described on our website. The bottom line is the Batman #1 in question is completely unrestored. Not nearly unrestored. Not almost unrestored. Completely unrestored.

Steve

Steve, why not get it graded? Not worth it for the lower grade keys or what?

Our policies regarding restoration is fully described on our website. The bottom line is the Batman #1 in question is completely unrestored. Not nearly unrestored. Not almost unrestored. Completely unrestored.

Steve

But, is it CONSERVED? See this auction for an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...US%3A1&rd=1

"CONSERVATION: Sealed tear at staples. REPAIR: None. RESTORATION: None." yeahok.gif