• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 1

59 posts in this topic

Our policies regarding restoration is fully described on our website. The bottom line is the Batman #1 in question is completely unrestored. Not nearly unrestored. Not almost unrestored. Completely unrestored.

Steve

Steve, why not get it graded? Not worth it for the lower grade keys or what?

We bought it from a person who bought it CGC graded and cracked it out. He thought and we thought it was nicer. The book was graded at VG unrestored and we still have the original label. Didn't feel it was worth $400-$500 to put it back in a holder.

S

but is it TOTALLY unrestored?? or Unequivocably unrestored? or posifukkintively unrestored?? huh? huh????

WOW. I did not contemplate TOTALLY unrestored. What the hell! TOTALLY UNRESTORED.

S

Thats Right...Totally Unrestored !

That needs to be said because ALOT of people think that just because its in a blue label holder, that it is unrestored. that is not necessarily true.

Im gettin off the point a little, sorry

I had a rep from Metropolis tell me at Comicon this year that buying raw from them was just as good as buying a CGC graded comic, as thier guy came up with the 10-point grading system anyway. confused-smiley-013.gif

Rob;

This part is true as Fishler is the guy who came up with the 10-point grading system before CGC came into place. gossip.gif

Oh, I don't doubt he was telling the truth. But I don't see how that negates the need for 3rd party grading, resto check, and encapsulation. What is his 10-point system based on? If they want to peddle that as justification to buy raw from them, then they should show their confidence in it and offer a money back guarantee if CGC grades it lower.

We bought it from a person who bought it CGC graded and cracked it out. He thought and we thought it was nicer. The book was graded at VG unrestored and we still have the original label. Didn't feel it was worth $400-$500 to put it back in a holder.

S

From the front cover scan, I would say 4.5 is a fair grade. (assuming its unrestored stooges.gif) By the way Steve the updated website and oversized scans look great.

Oh, I don't doubt he was telling the truth. But I don't see how that negates the need for 3rd party grading, resto check, and encapsulation. What is his 10-point system based on? If they want to peddle that as justification to buy raw from them, then they should show their confidence in it and offer a money back guarantee if CGC grades it lower

It's up to the principals of Metro to decide whether their books should be graded or not. If they have a clientele who is happy and confident with their grading then why waste the money to grade the book? In this case Metro believes that CGC is undergrading the book and Steve is honest enough to relate the entire story. Kudos to him for his honesty. MOst dealers try to pull the end around when answering questions on this site and then when confronted claim that they can understand why dealers refuse to post. At least Metro willing to answer the tough questions.

I buy and sell in a CGC world so it is difficult for me to buy raw books. I don't have the level of expertise and confidence to purchase high grade books without a second opinion. Metros grading might or might not be superior to CGC but most buyers of my books will pay me more for a CGC label then a Metropolis certification. Therefore, I choose to play in the arena that works best for me.

Our policies regarding restoration is fully described on our website. The bottom line is the Batman #1 in question is completely unrestored. Not nearly unrestored. Not almost unrestored. Completely unrestored.

Steve

Steve, why not get it graded? Not worth it for the lower grade keys or what?

S

Hi Steve, Sent you a PM regarding the book. Thanks.

if you are really concerned what cgc says about the book, you can overnite it to them and have it back in less than a week. if it doesn't meet up with your grade, crack it out and Metro would probably take it back . I'm sure they give you a week or so to "inspect it" This would cost some moolah though.

Well, I was about to order it. I placed an order for a key comic (FF1) at Metro and told Frank not to ship the comic yet since I am just waiting for S. Fishler reply on my question regarding PQ of the Batman 1 book. My big mistake was posting it in this forum. foreheadslap.gif Apparently after S. Fishler said the book was graded before as CGC 4.5 then cracked. Someone then decided to pay Metro a visit and look at the book personally. That frustrated.gifsomeone deposited $2,500 to Metro and S. Fishler said he was first to get the book. He did mention that frustrated.gifcollector saw it in this forum. Now I PM Metro and emailed them that I would like the book and will pay in full. Anyway I was frustrated since Metro and the frustrated.gifcollector knew I am interested in the book. I was expecting Metro would email me first to ask if I didnt want the book as someone is interested. I now see myself as fool for thinking of that. Lesson learned. Had I not posted this thread I could have ended up buying the book Christo_pull_hair.gif

Oh and that FF1...after getting the invoice and confirmation...someone emailed me back and told me the book is "temporarily unavailable." I hope Metro clears it out also or I am just expecting too much from Metro...sorry for the sign-rantpost.gifforeheadslap.gif

Well, I was about to order it. I placed an order for a key comic (FF1) at Metro and told Frank not to ship the comic yet since I am just waiting for S. Fishler reply on my question regarding PQ of the Batman 1 book. My big mistake was posting it in this forum. foreheadslap.gif Apparently after S. Fishler said the book was graded before as CGC 4.5 then cracked. Someone then decided to pay Metro a visit and look at the book personally. That frustrated.gifsomeone deposited $2,500 to Metro and S. Fishler said he was first to get the book. He did mention that frustrated.gifcollector saw it in this forum. Now I PM Metro and emailed them that I would like the book and will pay in full. Anyway I was frustrated since Metro and the frustrated.gifcollector knew I am interested in the book. I was expecting Metro would email me first to ask if I didnt want the book as someone is interested. I now see myself as fool for thinking of that. Lesson learned. Had I not posted this thread I could have ended up buying the book Christo_pull_hair.gif

That sucks, Benz. Just remember that hardcore collectors will climb over their own mothers to get a book that they want (and dealers will stomp on their mothers with big spiked boots to make a sale). So the first rule of collecting is you never talk publicly about a book you're after until it's safely in your hands.

Had you clearly signalled to Fishler that you were interested in the book? If not, then I don't think they had any obligation to give you first dibs, as they probably get random questions about various books all day. If you had, however, then he has seriously done you wrong.

Oh and that FF1...after getting the invoice and confirmation...someone emailed me back and told me the book is "temporarily unavailable." I hope Metro clears it out also or I am just expecting too much from Metro...sorry for the sign-rantpost.gifforeheadslap.gif

Now THAT is really unforgiveable.

I also cant really blame Metro for selling the Bat #1 unless you specifically asked them to put the book on hold for you which I know they do for a day or 2 while you can think it over. I cant even imagine the number of calls and emails they get on books with customers acting interested on books that never come through, Im sure many people have experienced the same thing just selling through the forum boards here.

Onto the second part, situations where books may be listed but not available occur on every website but for them to send you an invoice and confirmation seems a bit out of character. However my question is what does " temporarily unavailable " mean ? You'd figure either the book is for sale or its not, unless it was some situation such as it was a consigned book that got lost in shipment on the way to Metropolis.

re: batman 1

Yep. my mistake. biggest mistake though was posting since the person who bought saw it here.

re: FF1

your guess is as good as mine. let's hope everything works out for the FF1. I was just frustrated with what happened for both books. I hope it would be available tomorrow. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I also cant really blame Metro for selling the Bat #1 unless you specifically asked them to put the book on hold for you which I know they do for a day or 2 while you can think it over. I cant even imagine the number of calls and emails they get on books with customers acting interested on books that never come through, Im sure many people have experienced the same thing just selling through the forum boards here.

Onto the second part, situations where books may be listed but not available occur on every website but for them to send you an invoice and confirmation seems a bit out of character. However my question is what does " temporarily unavailable " mean ? You'd figure either the book is for sale or its not, unless it was some situation such as it was a consigned book that got lost in shipment on the way to Metropolis.

The FF#1 was a consigned book. We emailed the owner who informed that he sold it a week ago. Benson was informed that the book was not available immediately.

As for the Batman #1, I will say here what I emailed Benson, if you want to buy a book, do not broadcast your interest all over the CGC chat room. It will attract interest from others.

Had Benson actually ordered the Batman #1, this situation could have been avoided. However, there is no way for me, going forward, to halt a given sale of a book, in order to contact each and every person who had expressed interest in said book. That would simply be crazy.

Steve

You'd figure either the book is for sale or its not, unless it was some situation such as it was a consigned book that got lost in shipment on the way to Metropolis.

A similar situation happened just recently when I ordered a Flash 14 from the Metro website. Stephen kindly emailed the circumstances regarding the book (it likewise was a consignment) and explained it's unavailability. While I was disappointed not to get it (just love that Moldoff cover), I very much appreciate his taking the time to be upfront with me.

I was just perusing another dealer's website, and noticed a book listed that was no longer available - I know because I had already purchased it from the other party. He explained that the consignor hadn' t informed him of the sale, so that's why it was still listed.

I imagine this happens on occasion, and is just the nature of the beast.

Benz, sorry you got sniped on the book - especially by someone on this forum. I found this thread interesting (glad you started it), but you paid the price. As Tim astutely points out, some of us can be quite mercenary at times.

STEVE

Got Larson?

I was just perusing another dealer's website, and noticed a book listed that was no longer available - I know because I had already purchased it from the other party. He explained that the consignor hadn' t informed him of the sale, so that's why it was still listed.

Happens all the time. Just had it happen to me yesterday for two books on my site which someone asked about. Owner had sold them and had not notified me.

The FF#1 was a consigned book. We emailed the owner who informed that he sold it a week ago. Benson was informed that the book was not available immediately.

As for the Batman #1, I will say here what I emailed Benson, if you want to buy a book, do not broadcast your interest all over the CGC chat room. It will attract interest from others.

Had Benson actually ordered the Batman #1, this situation could have been avoided. However, there is no way for me, going forward, to halt a given sale of a book, in order to contact each and every person who had expressed interest in said book. That would simply be crazy.

Steve

Yep, I learned a lesson there and likewise I know now how I still have to learn from this hobby...or life for that matter. can i get the name of that person devil.gif

You'd figure either the book is for sale or its not, unless it was some situation such as it was a consigned book that got lost in shipment on the way to Metropolis.

A similar situation happened just recently when I ordered a Flash 14 from the Metro website. Stephen kindly emailed the circumstances regarding the book (it likewise was a consignment) and explained it's unavailability. While I was disappointed not to get it (just love that Moldoff cover), I very much appreciate his taking the time to be upfront with me.

Benz, sorry you got sniped on the book - especially by someone on this forum. I found this thread interesting (glad you started it), but you paid the price. As Tim astutely points out, some of us can be quite mercenary at times.

STEVE

Got Larson?

Steve Larson grin.gifstooges.gif

yep...I laughed when I saw Tim's post. still i feel Christo_pull_hair.gif that its someone from this forum...whoever he is when he reads this i hope his happy he made my day frustrated.gifyesterday...now I am ok...i think 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Happens all the time. Just had it happen to me yesterday for two books on my site which someone asked about. Owner had sold them and had not notified me.

sigh...but it was a FF1 foreheadslap.gif anyway thanks for the input Mark. at least I am more informed now about these things. never let anyone know what you're buying unless you have the book in your hand...and dont count a book as yours unless you have it in your hand. thumbsup2.gif