• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Safe to use Heritage/Lewis Wayne for Original MAD art?

4 posts in this topic

I am interested in several low and high-end pieces of MAD original art. I have used Heritage once. But now I am confused about seeing pieces that float between Heritage, Lewis Wayne, as well as Halperin's own sales, even after it appears that the item was sold. Is there something I should watch out for? My primary concern is the authenticity of the piece. Lewis Wayne does not answer questions about the source of individual pieces. Any info appreciated; if this has been discussed in a previous thread, please point me to it.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifmm...

I probably would have bid on this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NICK-CARDY-WITCHING-HOUR-37-COVER-ORIG-ART-1973_

W0QQitemZ320027368369QQihZ011QQcategoryZ972QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQ

cmdZViewItem

If I hadn't seen the same cover sell in a Heritage auction:

Click for larger image 6051 Original Comic Art : Covers

Nick Cardy - Original Cover Art for The Witching Hour #37 (DC, ... [Open item in a new window.] Signature July 7, 2002 $1,437.50

And, I am pretty certain I also saw this in a Heritage auction within the last year. I can't find the more recent listing though. Maybe the date is wrong, I remember the auction and the art quite well.

How come items that sold in Heritage auctions (maybe more than once!) find their way to more auctions? Anyway, when I see an item auctioned 2-3 times within a year or so, it is easy to lose interest/not bid. For me, anyway...It bothers me, something about it doesn't feel right...

I don't like it either but it is possible that someone bids on the Heritage auction and then backs out after the auction. Heritage then sells through Lewis Wayne. No the worst thing but what I still don't like is that they let their employees bid on their auctions.