• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moral Dilemma - Comic Related!!

13 posts in this topic

Quick question.

Would anyone have a problem re-selling comics purchased from a comic dealer that were graded extremely conservative? I picked up a couple X-men books for Good prices (-20% bulk purchase) and think the books grade at Fine/Fine + judging by Overstreet grading. I will post a couple scans of these books in the grading section over the next couple days but I was wondering what others thought of this. I am not the type of person who passes off a poor grade book at a gem but these just look great and I can't see where he is coming from. Thanks for any input.

Quick question.

Would anyone have a problem re-selling comics purchased from a comic dealer that were graded extremely conservative? I picked up a couple X-men books for Good prices (-20% bulk purchase) and think the books grade at Fine/Fine + judging by Overstreet grading. I will post a couple scans of these books in the grading section over the next couple days but I was wondering what others thought of this. I am not the type of person who passes off a poor grade book at a gem but these just look great and I can't see where he is coming from. Thanks for any input.

Of course not. That's half the fun of scouring comic book stores is to find something you can easily flip for a profit. headbang.gif

As long as you include scans that are big enough to evaluate the books, you can let people make up their own minds as to the condition and what they're willing to pay for them. People will pay more attention to the scans and prices than any claims.

Definitely go for it! Comic stores know what they are doing but occasionally will miss-grade or take awhile to adjust pricing on newly hot books. Shops are always more expensive on back issues than online prices so I never feel guilty when I find a good deal.

On a related note, I would feel bad buying a book from the forum marketplace section and flipping it for profit. I've found some great deals from reliable sellers here and feel like since this is a community, these books should be valued for what they are.

-Bob

But if you upgrade....don't you want to sell "flip" your undercopy? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, you make a point there. I'm still pretty new coming back to comicdom so the situation hasn't arisen yet smile.gif What I wouldn't do is buy a book here and then put it up on eBay the next day. If I upgraded a book, I'd list the old book on the forums first, priced at the percentage of the current FMV equal to the percentage of then FMV when I originally purchased the book. Hope that makes sense tongue.gif

My collecting is greatly enhanced by the forum so might as well try to help a bit in return. I don't deal in high end enough books so I doubt I'd really make much of a profit anyway

-Bob

I bought a Strange Tales 101 on the boards the other day for around $75....another board member posted the frustrated.gif So I sold him my under copy for $40 shipped. It's all just part of the circle of collecting. cloud9.gif

What I don't like seeing is when a board member puts up an awsome deal and someone snags it for a fraction of the actual value and then puts it back on the boards the very same day for 2x the amount...... sumo.gif

Actually, I've never seen it happen 893whatthe.gif.....but it could confused-smiley-013.gif

Quick question.

scan it, and post in in the "Can you spare a grade" forum, and see what kind of grade the forum gives it.

then sell it for 50% of Overstreet for the given grade in the marketplace. if someone asks for free shipping, you should probably give it to them, but make them beg for it

There are many other factors involved other than grading the covers,so scans are only so-so when grading a book.Are there interior page tears,writing,missing pages(you'd be amazed how many comics are missing a pin-up.Thats why CGC counts every page ofg every comic)ect,ect.

If an established dealer is calling a book a Good,he has a reason for it. If he's simply selling them at Good prices,thats another ball of wax.

Thanks for all the great responces. I spoke with the owner yesterday (and picked up a great looking Daredevil 58 for $6:) and he said he tends to grade by the heart and not Overstreet. He was a cool guy and has a large stock of older comics (been in business for 25 years) and tends to undergrade to get them out the door. I will post some scans once I win a scanner on e-bay. Thanks again!!