• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

don rosa perplexity

33 posts in this topic

Tell me this one ain't pressed. No way could this be a 9.8 any other way. This is one of the hardest spidy to git in anything over 9.4.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-1...1QQcmdZViewItem

It's a black cover. Pressing won't solve most of the usual defects that make it so difficult for a book with a black cover to get an uber-high grade. confused-smiley-013.gif

Considering how hard I've been looking for anice copy of this book, its irritating that I'll probably end up with some pressed copy and not know it. Jerks.

Tell me this one ain't pressed. No way could this be a 9.8 any other way. This is one of the hardest spidy to git in anything over 9.4.

It's a black cover. Pressing won't solve most of the usual defects that make it so difficult for a book with a black cover to get an uber-high grade. confused-smiley-013.gif

What the heck is up with the back cover on this book? confused-smiley-013.gif

Pretty Fugly

Joker--

Considering how hard I've been looking for anice copy of this book, its irritating that I'll probably end up with some pressed copy and not know it. Jerks.

It's not hard to tell. Focus on the spine. If it's been pressed the spine is razor sharp. Also hold the comic up vertically so you can see directly into its pages. I pressed comic looks very thin then a normal one. gossip.gif After a few comparisons you'll spot them quicker than you can say magnanimous swinging melons.

why is Matt N. involved?

Maybe someone can persuade Matt not to meddle with the grades of the pedigree books and let people revel in the historical fact they survived decades in a high-grade condition with no external assistance from humans.

You still believe in Santa Claus, don't you, Mark? crazy.gif

Matt 'leaving money on the table' is a concept waaaaaaaaaay off his moral radar.

I have seen a similar announcement with respect to the Central Valley books and I still do not understand exactly what Matt Nelson's involvement is with these and now the Don Rosa books. All I can say is that once a restorer becomes actively involved with the selling side of the market, potential buyers should proceed very very carefully. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A very similar situation happened with Mark Wilson and his World's Finest back in the early 90's. Virtually impossible for a restorer to refrain from "improving" a book, as he will always be able to rationalize it as not having been worked on. We all know what happened to Mark's books when CGC came along, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the same thing happen to Matt's books several years down the line. Realize that market sentiment usually changes as detection capability changes.

I've always followed the old adage: If something's too good to be true, then it probably is. We only have to go as far back as Jason Ewert's books to see this scenario in full play. tonofbricks.gif

From memory, this is a book that has remarkable similarities with one purchased recently by eBay buyer 'arseman' from Bedrock City.

Oh, apart from the fact that that one was a lower grade.

So obviously not related.... yeahok.gif

From memory, this is a book that has remarkable similarities with one purchased recently by eBay buyer 'arseman' from Bedrock City.

Got a scan?

Got a scan?

No, sorry. The eBay auction is now unavailable, but I know that this book was discussed (I think by EvilSly?) in the original 'arseman' thread.

Anyway, there can't be a connection, because Matt has told Shad that he isn't arseman...and that he posted exactly that on the boards.

Even though that post can't be found...and doesn't appear in any Search you run.

You know what, I'm having these really, really weird deja vu feelings and keep on thinking we may have been here before, what with all these 'unbelievable' books, and the denials, and the conflict, and the....

Naw, must just be me. yeahok.gif

[quote

No, sorry. The eBay auction is now unavailable, but I know that this book was discussed (I think by EvilSly?) in the original 'arseman' thread.

Anyway, there can't be a connection, because Matt has told Shad that he isn't arseman...and that he posted exactly that on the boards.

Even though that post can't be found...and doesn't appear in any Search you run.

You know what, I'm having these really, really weird deja vu feelings and keep on thinking we may have been here before, what with all these 'unbelievable' books, and the denials, and the conflict, and the....

Nick, sign-funnypost.gif

But I'm crying as I'm laughing, as it's all too [embarrassing lack of self control] true, and us, and everyone else who buys off spectre52 let the guy get away with first degree comic crimes right in front of our very noses!

Why didn't Zaid break his pressing hand at Geppi's....that would of been something Scoop to cover!

[quote

Nick, sign-funnypost.gif

But I'm crying as I'm laughing, as it's all too [embarrassing lack of self control] true, and us, and everyone else who buys off spectre52 let the guy get away with first degree comic crimes right in front of our very noses!

Why didn't Zaid break his pressing hand at Geppi's....that would of been something Scoop to cover!

I'm a peace loving guy. flowerred.gif

Anyway, Matt would just train someone else to do the work. gossip.gifpoke2.gif

[quote

Nick, sign-funnypost.gif

I'm a peace loving guy. flowerred.gif

Anyway, Matt would just train someone else to do the work. gossip.gifpoke2.gif

I believe Jason Ewert isn't doing anything currently? confused-smiley-013.gif

Or maybe Jason already went through the programme? tongue.gif