• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What new comic would you recommend a subscription to?

31 posts in this topic

I'm strictly a back issue guy (silver and bronze), but I'm seriously giving thought to subscribing to a single title from either Marvel or DC. (Only one because I don't want it to cut into my back issue budget.)

I used to subscribe and loved the idea of getting a monthly title through the mail. (Still do. Except now they're old and come in bunches, boxes and plastic bags, and are pressed between sheets of cardboard, etc. grin.gif)

But I haven't been a real consistent comic reader since the late 80s. What one title would you recommend? Strictly mainstream Marvel or DC please...

Thanks!

I like Ultimate Spider-man as it has great writing with good artwork and the creative team have been there from the beginning (and it comes out regularly!). Nothing like good consistency!

Batman has superb artwork - and I understand Lee/Loeb has signed on for another 6 issues after their initial run, but who knows what's going to happen after that?

If by mainstream, you mean super-heroes, then the best one currently out there is The Ultimates. Only problem is it does not come out monthly!

Looking beyond super-heroes, consider 100 Bullets or Y the Last Man.

ALIAS

It is the BEST comic out there right now.

What he said. If I could only get one title it would be this one. If I could only get two I'd get Alias and 100 Bullets. You also shouldn't have to worry about any crossover stories with this title.

What do you mean by "subscription"? Are you talking about by mail? I never had any good experence with books sent by mail. They always seem to get damaged in some way.

If your talking about a subscription through a book store or comic shop, which I perfer, I'd sugest Batman, Detective Comics, Fantastic Four, HERO, League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and some of the new Marvels that weill be starting over again with the old number system.

Looking beyond super-heroes, consider 100 Bullets or Y the Last Man.

What Zonker said. Bullets is easily the best book out there. Only problem w/ getting a subscription would be you'd have to buy the trades to catch up (way worth it!). Trying to jump in, you'll be lost. Y is really good as well, and not so far into the series.

Also, for something different, try Fables. Very good, and all you need to know is that Fairy Tale characters are amongst us. That, and Goldielocks is one evil Beeyotch!

Also, as Donut said, Alias is very good, but the last arc (IMO) was really bad. By the time I finished it, I was pissed. It was too long for the easy-out resolution.

Daredevil has been really good as well. Just read the new issue yesterday. Can't wait for next one!!!

Chris

If by mainstream, you mean super-heroes, then the best one currently out there is The Ultimates. Only problem is it does not come out monthly!

I never liked the Avengers much...but I agree, the Ultimates has been superb. Plus it barely cuts into the back issue budget since it only comes out every two or three months.

Ultimate Spider-Man or Daredevil are definitely quality choices...I can't remember ever reading a Bendis story that wasn't extremely compelling!!!

, League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Awesome series, but only 1 issue to go. Don't bother w/ a subscription. BTW - anyone know when #6 is scheduled to come out?

Chris

If you're looking for something truly NEW.. I'd suggest Goon. It's a "horror"/comedy book. Has been pretty good so far IMO. I've also been enjoying Hulk and Ultimate Spider-man.

Brian

If you're looking for something truly NEW.. I'd suggest Goon. It's a "horror"/comedy book. Has been pretty good so far IMO. I've also been enjoying Hulk and Ultimate Spider-man.

Brian

That ranks among the top 5 most surprising replies I have ever read on this forum...

Goon is a great book, but I never would have guessed you were reading it...

That said, I find it interesting just how few of the titles listed above are "mainstream Marvel and DC"... Alias, 100 Bullets, Y: The Last Man, Goon, Fables... none of these really qualify...

If you wanna talk mainstream titles featuring characters who have been around for a couple decades, I'd say your best bet for a title you would still like a year from now is Batman, followed by Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate X-Men. I would have said Daredevil, but with Bendis leaving again (while he does Ultimate X-Men) I am not so sure you'll be happy with the change to David Mack. The three titles I suggested will all have top-notch creative teams a year from now, so you're unlikely to get a rude suprise when the names on the credits change.

There are lots of titles that are currently good, even among the mainstream titles. But many of those weren't good a year ago, so picking out one to commit to is a little tricky. I would strongly suggest against the Ultimates. This book will be cancelled within a year, and will likely only release 3-4 more issues in that time. There is no sense wasting your time and money on a book whose creators don't care enough to do their job.