• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What new comic would you recommend a subscription to?

31 posts in this topic

I also used to read Y The Last Man, but stopped recently due to just getting a bit tired of the idea. tongue.gif

Brian

Got any back issues for sale??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ultimate Spider-Man and Bendis Daredevil.

I wish I read more "alternative" comics, but so often the art is poor, paper is poor, or I don't find out they're good until they're at issue 47 (100 Bullets).

Can someone fill me in on what makes Flash good right now? I've never read it, since I'm not compelled by the idea of a hero whose ability is that he runs real fast. I'm not being sarcastic, though--fill me in, and I'm not wasting your time.

Is no one going to suggest POWERS? It's another well written Bendis book that's part superhero/part crime-noir.

FLASH is a product of Geoff Johns, and like JSA, is well written.

What flavor of book would you prefer? There are so many good titles right now, it would probably be best to customize a choice to your tastes.

It really depends on what kind of book you favor, my three recommendations for different genres are:

Amazing Spider-Man (super-hero)

The Ultimates (super-hero team)

Alias (detective/mystery)

Since you're only getting one book, then I would suggest staying away from any of the big name titles out there. For example, It's hard to buy just Avengers, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, etc.. While I'm not quite the DC-phile that some others here are, I would wager the same can be said for JLA, JSA, Flash, Green Lantern, etc.

And it is IMPOSSIBLE to get just Batman; there are way too many crossovers (big and small) into the 7 other titles that form the tapestry of the Dark Knight's world. Detective Comics, Batman Gotham Knights, Batgirl, Birds of Prey, Harlequin, Nightwing, and Robin can all tie into any story going on in Batman and quite often do (Bruce Wayne: Murdere/Fugitive anyone?). And that doesn't even call into question all the mini-series, one-shots, specials, the kiddie "Batman Adventures book, and the anthology title, Batman Legends of the Dark Knight.

To a lesser extent, the same scenario goes for Superman. There are currently 3 in-continuity titles for the Man of Steel. Finally, the same is true for the mainstream Spider-man though there are only two titles in the current continuity and JM Straczynski's ASM run has been fantastic to date. However, like the above, there's no guarantee Marvel won't drop the webslinger into a large crossover in their primary continuity at a moment's notice.

With all that being said, there is one writer that everyone seems to agree is worth the read and who's offerings can all virtually stand on their own. When it comes down to it, you can't go wrong with anything Bendis. Alias is a terrific book that mixes some of the superhero with a terrific, adult, private atmosphere and it stands alone; no worries about having to buy other titles here. Daredevil has not had any crossing over into other titles in quite a long time and has been excellently written for two years now by BMB. And, though you said mainstream Marvel and/or DC only, Powers from Image is worth a look; it's a fun read every month and intelligently written as are all of BMB's books. Finally, Ultimate Spider-man is another great choice though here you begin to run into the problem where cross-overs (as one that is going on right now between USM and Ultimate X-men) can detract from your experience because you're buying just one book a month. If you can opt for 3 monthly titles (two and a third considering the release rate of "The Ultimates"), then getting the entire "Ultimate Marvel Universe" imprint is well worth the $6.75 it will cost you monthly (discounted for subscription rates if that's what you opt to do).

Finally, if you're into the odd, obscure, or occult, DC's Vertigo imprint offers a tremendous amount of choices. I can't comment on 100 Bullets because I haven't read any yet but everyone seems to love them. "Y Last Man" is phenomenal (or at least it has been; I'm about 3 months behind on my reading these so I'm not quite up to speed. "Fables" is similarly terrific; and whoever said Goldilocks is one mean B-I-T-C-H is absolutely right. She makes a nasty communist and would give Stalin a run for his money when it comes to ruthlessness. Finally, "American Century" by Howard Chaykin and David Tischman is a fantastic book. It's about as far removed from "comics" as comics get but delivers a great pulp story every single issue.

Now that you're thouroughly confused by the weatlh of options available to you, I suggest you increase your overall comic-book spending budget and buy at least 10 titles a month....

PUNISHER - best one to subscribe to now. Why? Garth Ennis, gratuitous violence, hot movie coming up, series that will appreciate in back issue value with movie hype the most (look at ASM 129) market series right and all Punisher with Garth Ennis will go up since the movie storyline will come from these books.... wink.gif

series that will appreciate in back issue value with movie hype the most (look at ASM 129) market series right and all Punisher with Garth Ennis will go up since the movie storyline will come from these books....

Dream on Darth... 27_laughing.gif

series that will appreciate in back issue value with movie hype the most (look at ASM 129) market series right and all Punisher with Garth Ennis will go up since the movie storyline will come from these books....

Dream on Darth... 27_laughing.gif

grin.giftongue.gif Chrisco fell for that one...

Finally, "American Century" by Howard Chaykin and David Tischman is a fantastic book. It's about as far removed from "comics" as comics get but delivers a great pulp story every single issue.

Another non-mainstream favorite. Sadly, 27 is the final issue. mad.gif