• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Would Bring in More Cash?

36 posts in this topic

Just something I’ve been pondering.

If I went out this weekend and purchased 100 books of say silver and bronze. All books graded by cgc. 9.0 to 9.6’s averaging out around say 9.4’s.

I then purchased the exact same books in similar grades but all raw.

I sit on books for 10 years.

I then sell the 2 separate collections.

Witch group would make more cash?

And this isn’t something I plan on doing or anything. Just wondering what you all think?

That depends on what you bought them for. Obviously, the CGC copies are going to cost more, but how much, and how would that eat into potential profits?

Personally speaking, I wouldn't be too confident of SA or BA prices in a decade's time.

That depends on what you bought them for. Obviously, the CGC copies are going to cost more, but how much, and how would that eat into potential profits?

Personally speaking, I wouldn't be too confident of SA or BA prices in a decade's time.

well yea they cost more, but they sell for more.

i'm just tossing numbers out there, but if i picked up the cgc books for say 5 grand and the raw books, same issues, same grades get 2 grand. in 10 years will the cgc books fetch 10 grand but the raw books only get 3 grand. or would it even it self out?

the world will end in "nucular" holocaust long before 10 years, so do yourself a favour and get a dog instead

yeahok.gif

dude i just saved you five grand, though.

seriously, the initial post is really, really difficult to answer. too many variables to account for imho

If I went out this weekend and purchased 100 books of say silver and bronze. All books graded by cgc. 9.0 to 9.6’s averaging out around say 9.4’s.

And this isn’t something I plan on doing or anything. Just wondering what you all think?

In ten years they will likely be worth exactly what you paid for them today.

Maybe less.

Now in 50 years u might get some sort of appreciation. Or by then the hobby might be dead and they'll have no value.

In ten years they will likely be worth exactly what you paid for them today.

Maybe less.

Now in 50 years u might get some sort of appreciation. Or by then the hobby might be dead and they'll have no value.

well first that doesn't really awnser my question. second why would you say they won't go up in value in ten years. they go up in value in every new release of the ospg.

i guess the awnser is there would be no differance. the only real way to make money off cgc is if you buy raw and submit. then hope for a good grade.

the world will end in "nucular" holocaust long before 10 years, so do yourself a favour and get a dog instead

nuclear there NC boy foreheadslap.gif

unfamiliar with the common writing practice of putting intentionally misspelled words in quotes, i see. nice EZU education 27_laughing.gif

poke2.gif

JC really nailed it earlier. How much more are you paying for the slabbed books over the raw books? How much more will it cost to slab books 10 years from now? Unless vintage slabs carry a ton of weight in the market 10 years from now (which I highly doubt), there's really no reason you'd see much of a difference in profit.

As for your hypothetical situation of 5k for slabbed and 2k for unslabbed... if you can verify the conditions of all the books for yourself, you'd have to be an insufficiently_thoughtful_person to spend 2.5x the price for the same books only slabbed. It seems like the slabbed market has leveled off so you should only pay a "slabbed premium" equal to the cost of the slabbing process.

-Bob

Okay, learn this equation.

Comics Collecting<>Investing.

Simple as that.

look, like i said above. this isn't something i'm interested in doing.

i'm begining to think in the future the raw books might actually do better.

one reason is there seems to be so many holes in the way cgc does there buisness.

(books being resubmitted and recieving higher grades etc.)

JC really nailed it earlier. How much more are you paying for the slabbed books over the raw books? How much more will it cost to slab books 10 years from now? Unless vintage slabs carry a ton of weight in the market 10 years from now (which I highly doubt), there's really no reason you'd see much of a difference in profit.

doesn't matter what i pay today. i'm paying the going rate. lets just say i paid exactly guide for both raw and cgc.

doesn't matter what i pay today. i'm paying the going rate. lets just say i paid exactly guide for both raw and cgc.

Maybe I don't understand your initial question. Are you asking: "Will a the same book be worth more slabbed or raw in 10 years?"

OR

"Would I be better served investing in a raw or slabbed book today? Which book would get me the most PROFIT in 10 years?"

OR

"If I advertise my books have been 'preserved in a CGC holder for the last 10 years!' will I get more money?"

Q1: I don't know and don't care because you can just get the raw book slabbed in 10 years if proves to be worth more then.

Q2: Profit has everything to do with how much you pay. The best course of action is determined on the difference in present FMV of slabbed vs. unslabbed. I'd say pay no more than the grading fee as a premium over the unslabbed value because if it is the same book... get it CGC'd yourself - don't pay some shlub to send it in for you.

Q3: No.

Now how to preserve over the next 10 years is a much more interested and valid question. Who knows, maybe all CGC holders are set to self destruct in T-Minus 9.9 years...

-Bob