• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One Well Traveled Gorilla!

153 posts in this topic

The Detective 32 gorilla is clearly a direct steal from the Wonder 2 cover. All the way down to the exact same position of the feet. Great catch Norrin. This should go in that thread regarding other drawings from which Bob Kane lifted his artwork.

Do you seriously think that Kane had his own hand in the artwork for Detective 32?

MAYBE he handed the assignment with a rough layout to one of his ghosts, with an instruction to use the Wonder 2 gorilla. On the other hand, maybe they both used the same original non-comic book source. Maybe a King Kong poster or publicity still?

Jack

Although a lot of these are "familiar" I'm not entirely convinced yet.

Are we expecting Giant and regular sized gorillas to look unique and different all the time?

To me Gorillas all look the same unless one is albino.

There's a difference when viewing my picture next to Michael Jordans....with a few minutes to kill, someones bound to notice

the 467 differences between the two of us. poke2.gif

I wouldn't be surprised that in 1940 many of these artists could be looking at the same picture of a gorilla

in an encyclopedia or the same Geographic or some form of generic clip art. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Granted the last two examples are a swipe, but at least the left arm is in a totally unique position. wink.gif

But please show me more.... I really WANT to see "lifts" and "swipes". popcorn.gif

But so far the first image in this thread hasn't reminded me of any other generic gorilla comic drawing.

(unless I was looking right at it and didn't register) confused-smiley-013.gif

Although a lot of these are "familiar" I'm not entirely convinced yet.

Are we expecting Giant and regular sized gorillas to look unique and different all the time? To me Gorillas all look the same unless one is albino.

I wouldn't be surprised that in 1940 many of these artists could be looking at the same picture of a gorilla in an encyclopedia or the same Geographic or some form of generic clip art. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Granted the last two examples are a swipe, but at least the left arm is in a totally unique position. wink.gif But so far the first image in this thread hasn't reminded me of any other generic gorilla comic drawing. (unless I was looking right at it and didn't register) confused-smiley-013.gif

Oh, but this thread was originally designed only as a repository of my musings as all my threads are (and a personal diversion from the OO vs. Supes thread). I like to throw up interior images since we've seen most covers by now. That ape struck me funny - well, the whole Dicky in the Magic Forest did first! - and I posted it hoping others would latch on to the well-known "Batman ape is the Wonder # 2 ape" tidbit. It was a bait and people knew what I was discussing. thumbsup2.gif As long as I find cool visuals, I'll throw them up here.

But please show me more.... I really WANT to see "lifts" and "swipes". popcorn.gif

Beyond the famous Ape, I guess there are a few more well-known ones. I don't have my references here but let me put another one you'll consider close but no cigar -

Action 6 Ape as shown by Jack -

1401580-Action6Gorilla.jpg

Another scene with King Kong - Darn apes, always looking the same! -

1401580-KingKongGorilla-Action6.jpg

1401580-KingKongGorilla-Action6.jpg.1c19c740e4e1be98e329bc7ec097c676.jpg

Beyond the famous Ape, I guess there are a few more well-known ones. I don't have my references here but let me put another one you'll consider close but no cigar -

Action 6 Ape as shown by Jack -

1401580-Action6Gorilla.jpg

One of my favorite details of that Action cover is the Elmer Fudd-like, "Shhhh! I'm hunting da giant ape! (Bwah ha ha ha!)" The great hunter in the foreground has on his deadpan expression, totally unaware that the ape has silently [!!] come sneaking up behind him.

Jack

[Kill da WAAA-bit]

You know, until now I had never associated or seen Fujitani as being able to do GGA. This isn't proof he could do a whole book of it but someone should have given him the chance! Or did he draw some and I am not aware of it?

This from Speed 38 -

1406234-Fuje-ShockGibson-Speed38.jpg

1406234-Fuje-ShockGibson-Speed38.jpg.5728e836f485cd79448fe5db57bda393.jpg

That's a great page, Scrooge (I guess all those grunts qualify as "well traveled gorillas"...haha).

I had a chance to meet Fujitani last year (at the San Diego Comic Con), and enjoyed our conversations immensely. He was somewhat incredulous that he was held in such high regard, let alone even remembered for his comic book work.

I ended up purchasing several decades old pieces of strip art that he had brought for sale, and I'm not even an original art collector - but I enjoyed his work that much.

STEVE

Got Larson?

Sounds you had a good time meeting Fujitani. His stuff at MLJ crackles with energy. His work clearly stands out among the other strips.

Here's from Black Hood # 10 Rusty drawn by Bill Vigoda who crosses the 4th dimension -

1408048-BlackHood10Dusty4thDimension.jpg

1408048-BlackHood10Dusty4thDimension.jpg.9b82531292578137e49ade504eeb070d.jpg

Funny Pages 3/9 has a nice Tarpe Mills rampaging (lifting a hottie over his head) gorilla cover...though it's just a guy in a monkey suit!

That would be this one:

funnypagesvol39.jpg

Or this one...

FP39Crop.jpg

STEVE

Got Larson? (why yes, I do...)

re: ZIP 28

"Scrooge, you magnificent [embarrassing lack of self control]....I read your book!" (with apologies to George C. Scott as Patton)

Scrooge, you're a man after my own heart....ZIP 28 is one of the best MLJ comics of the era.

From the superb Bob Montana (not credited in the Guide, btw) war cover, to the terrific Steel Sterling vs. Baron Gestapo lead story, to the origin of the Web, to the Black Witch (detached paw story), to ...well, you get the picture.

Did I mention what a great book ZIP 28 is? (I'm fortunate to own the PA copy, fyi).

STEVE

Here's that ZIP 28 I was talking about (no gorillas but it sure is waaay cool)...

100_0828.jpg

STEVE

Got Larson?

Here's that ZIP 28 I was talking about (no gorillas but it sure is waaay cool)...

A Quintessential GA book for sure. Who wouldn't love Baron Gestapo along with the stuck in time touch of the "speaker phone" of the lady in distress. Cool cover + great interior = a true comic collectible. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Wonderful work. Simply wonderful...

STEVE Got Larson

Ditto.

Thanks for posting Scrooge! thumbsup2.gif

I learn something every day. I was looking over Pep 39 and the splash page for Bentley of Scotland Yard stopped me in my tracks as it obviously was also the same image as the cover to Liberty 12. I never knew that. Here they are side-by-side -

1423630-Liberty-Pep-Combo.jpg

1423630-Liberty-Pep-Combo.jpg.daaffbf15b99db16a43861966dff4c75.jpg

I learn something every day. I was looking over Pep 39 and the splash page for Bentley of Scotland Yard stopped me in my tracks as it obviously was also the same image as the cover to Liberty 12. I never knew that. Here they are side-by-side -

Where's the gorilla? stooges.gif

Good catch! thumbsup2.gif

Where's the gorilla? stooges.gif

Good catch! thumbsup2.gif

Cool catch

...what's the difference in distribution dates?