• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One Well Traveled Gorilla!

153 posts in this topic

No kidding! I'll try and post a panel of what Dicky can do with his magic lasso tomorrow.

Here's how Dicky uses his whip!

In Zip 17 -

1398159-DickyWhip-Zip17.jpg

In Zip 19 -

1398159-DickyWhip-Zip19.jpg

Our friend the gorilla comes back in Zip 21 -

1398159-DickyGorilla-Zip21.jpg

And here's a splash from Zip 28 for the Black Witch tale -

1398159-Zip28-BlackWitchSplash.jpg

1398159-Zip28-BlackWitchSplash.jpg.8a8b4b512d6378ab38e3cdf2085759c5.jpg

Does anyone get a weird feeling seeing the name Grayson and Dickie in the same story? Perhaps some Deja Vu?

Tim,

if I was making some déjà-vu association, I would more than likely catch on the Philip Wylie reference in the bottom panel caption in the Black Witch splash. hi.gif

I can't take credit for that. I read it somewhere before. That's the reason it caught my eye. If you could post that scan that'd be great.

I need to take up AdamS's challenge and find the source ape (or is it uber-ape?)

I like "Ur-ape"

in probably Foster's Tarzan run? That would be my guess. Unfortunately while I have a complete Foster's PV run I don't have his complete Tarzan.

*google*

1398289-Tarzana.gif

The right ape-shape but way too small to see.

JPS

You have a good eye. He's the spitting image of the giant gorilla that The Monk set loose on Bat-Man in Tec 32!

I can't take credit for that. I read it somewhere before. That's the reason it caught my eye. If you could post that scan that'd be great.

I need to take up AdamS's challenge and find the source ape (or is it uber-ape?) in probably Foster's Tarzan run? That would be my guess. Unfortunately while I have a complete Foster's PV run I don't have his complete Tarzan.

Foster drew a number of apes and chimps, but I wasn't touting him as the source for this ape, just that lots and lots of his drawings were swiped over the years.

You have a good eye. He's the spitting image of the giant gorilla that The Monk set loose on Bat-Man in Tec 32!

I need to take up AdamS's challenge and find the source ape (or is it uber-ape?) in probably Foster's Tarzan run? That would be my guess. Unfortunately while I have a complete Foster's PV run I don't have his complete Tarzan.

Foster drew a number of apes and chimps, but I wasn't touting him as the source for this ape, just that lots and lots of his drawings were swiped over the years.

I knew what you meant. I just took it upon myself to find that particular ape. I'm guessing its source is Foster. Plus, I only need so much enticement to have to go through pages and pages of Foster artwork. cloud9.gif

The right ape-shape but way too small to see.

Jack, here are a couple of larger shots -

Ur-Ape entry # 1 - the strongest case -

1398969-Foster-Tarzan-Ur-Ape1.jpg

Ur-Ape entry # 2 - definitely not the one but I like that scene -

1398969-Foster-Tarzan-Ur-Ape2.jpg

AS, you're right, Foster drew a ton and a ½ of apes!!

1398969-Foster-Tarzan-Ur-Ape2.jpg.f192bd1f9f2773a91f3e550dfbd2a684.jpg

re: ZIP 28

"Scrooge, you magnificent [embarrassing lack of self control]....I read your book!" (with apologies to George C. Scott as Patton)

Scrooge, you're a man after my own heart....ZIP 28 is one of the best MLJ comics of the era.

From the superb Bob Montana (not credited in the Guide, btw) war cover, to the terrific Steel Sterling vs. Baron Gestapo lead story, to the origin of the Web, to the Black Witch (detached paw story), to ...well, you get the picture.

Did I mention what a great book ZIP 28 is? (I'm fortunate to own the PA copy, fyi).

STEVE

Here's one for 143.

Somehow I'm guessing you love the Archie story in Jackpot 4 with this scene -

1399319-JP4-ArchieMayhem.jpg

and this morning I can't help flashing forward to this Graham Hunter cover (one of several with the same theme) -

1399319-TreasureChest7-15s.jpg

I know there is also an Ur-Mayhem-in-the-street source but my memory can't place it. What strip would have such a scene? Anyone?

1399319-TreasureChest7-15s.jpg.b31714c20234b36c368e71049e69c2c9.jpg

I know there is also an Ur-Mayhem-in-the-street source but my memory can't place it. What strip would have such a scene? Anyone?

Hieronymous Bosch?

Hieronymous Bosch?

If you insist on going that far back, it reminds me more of Bruegel than Bosch, especially the first one. My question was specifically directed at a strip -

proverbs.jpg

mad_meg.jpg

I was thinking about the Wonder # 2 gorilla that was also reused in an early Batman story -

1397135-WonderComics2.jpg

I'll try and post an scan of the page this weekend.

As promised.

1401121-31_gorilla.jpg

1401121-31_gorilla.jpg.c68dab2a06952dd820c768f0aeb4d2e0.jpg

I was thinking about the Wonder # 2 gorilla that was also reused in an early Batman story -

1397135-WonderComics2.jpg

I'll try and post an scan of the page this weekend.

As promised.

1401121-31_gorilla.jpg

The Detective 32 gorilla is clearly a direct steal from the Wonder 2 cover. All the way down to the exact same position of the feet. Great catch Norrin. This should go in that thread regarding other drawings from which Bob Kane lifted his artwork.

The Detective 32 gorilla is clearly a direct steal from the Wonder 2 cover. All the way down to the exact same position of the feet. Great catch Norrin. This should go in that thread regarding other drawings from which Bob Kane lifted his artwork.

It's actually the next to last page of Detective 31.