• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Books stolen at Big Apple Show

35 posts in this topic

Am I wrong or is this becomming a trend?

Every show there seems to be a report of valuable books being stolen.

Seems safer just to sell on the internet or your just going to have to get CGC to partner with LOJACK and put a tracking device in every plastic comicbook holder.

The books were on top of a magazine box under Ted's table. They were not on a wall display. Somebody obviously was underneath the table, took them, got up and walked away.

There are dealers with camera's at the show and they have had books stolen.

It happens at shows across the country.

I'm hoping the 'Comic Cubicles' & 'Sleeve Frames' I'm currently designing & building will prevent this from happening in the future. I plan on having one ready to go for the next 1-day Paradise show here in Toronto, and if there's interest....I'll start taking custom orders & go into full production. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Sad to say but another dealer I remember that had books taken from him earlier this year was Harley Yee. Both Harley and Ted are great guys and maybe too nice with all the thieves out there. I know whenever I am at their tables they dont bat an eye with people coming behind to take a look at books on their boards or behind the counter. Theyre not watching with eagle eyes when you take a peek at a book and are always open to conversation etc. Sadly maybe this has to change to a certain degree because the amount of books being taken at shows is unfair and just wrong.

Yeah, this is starting to become more and more of a problem at shows. I haven't done a show in years, but when we did, we always just had 1 little table and even then I had trouble keeping an eye on everything when we got busy. I can't imagine trying to watch over a huge booth?!

To add to the "dealers who got robbed this year" list....a dealer got zinged at Chicago also...can't remember the name but they had all those gorgeous early single-digit Detectives a couple of years ago....

From time to time I toy with the idea of renting a dealers table at a one day NY show. I have a couple boxes of miscellaneous SA/Ba books (nothing particularly valuable just fill ins) to move very cheaply. The room is more valuable in the apt than the books. I harken back to 1999 when I last appearaed as a dealer at a NY show. Metropolis was my chief competition ( grin.gif) I would pack up the car early in the morning (around 8:10) take the long drive to the show on 60th st (?) and arrive at the location around 8:15. Clearly the 5 minute commute was not monumental. I have a very small staff (My Wife). She would watch the inventory as I milled around looking for new items to purchase. She would become a liitle annoyed as I often spent more than she was taking in.

IMany time she would say, "I thought our purpose was to get rid of the books? Now we have more than we started." IN those days I had some books I grew up with and as I said nothing particularly valuable. If you asked my wife she might have said that if all the books were stolen she would be ahead (no more conventions). Anyway, most of the books I had are gone with only the two boxes remaining. However, I pcked up a few GA books along the way and along with them a dilemma. It's really not worth solely bringing the miscellaneous books to a show without the GA material. However, theft is now an issue. The paper value of the GA books is substabtially greater than the 10 boxes of SA books I originally started with.

The story is a bit long but this thread leaves me to ponder the problem. Do I wish to play the role of a dealer taking the risk of theft while I'm quite content to offer the books on E-Bay? Besides I'm not sure how skillful my wife would be attempting to hold onto my books? She probably wouldn't let me leave the booth believing I should watch my own merchandise. She doesn't realize that a mans job is to hunt

Jeff Weaver had some Cap's #2, 3 and #4 lifted at the Chicago show. The #3 and #4 were recovered when they walked up to my table in another dealers arms. I'm not sure the #2 was ever recovered. The person who sold the #3/4 was arrested.

The next day another thief decided to steal the whole box of timely's from Jeff's booth. Jeff chased him down the aisle and Al Stolz grabbed him (Broken arm and all I might add for visual effect).

Jeff Weaver had some Cap's #2, 3 and #4 lifted at the Chicago show. The #3 and #4 were recovered when they walked up to my table in another dealers arms. I'm not sure the #2 was ever recovered. The person who sold the #3/4 was arrested.

The next day another thief decided to steal the whole box of timely's from Jeff's booth. Jeff chased him down the aisle and Al Stolz grabbed him (Broken arm and all I might add for visual effect).

Is Jeff Weaver still in business? Or did he get out? Didn't see him in B-More and that's unusual...

I think the thief is lucky Al had a broken arm, otherwise it may have ended even worse for him.

From time to time I toy with the idea of renting a dealers table at a one day NY show. I have a couple boxes of miscellaneous SA/Ba books (nothing particularly valuable just fill ins) to move very cheaply. The room is more valuable in the apt than the books. I harken back to 1999 when I last appearaed as a dealer at a NY show. Metropolis was my chief competition ( grin.gif) I would pack up the car early in the morning (around 8:10) take the long drive to the show on 60th st (?) and arrive at the location around 8:15. Clearly the 5 minute commute was not monumental. I have a very small staff (My Wife). She would watch the inventory as I milled around looking for new items to purchase. She would become a liitle annoyed as I often spent more than she was taking in.

IMany time she would say, "I thought our purpose was to get rid of the books? Now we have more than we started." IN those days I had some books I grew up with and as I said nothing particularly valuable. If you asked my wife she might have said that if all the books were stolen she would be ahead (no more conventions). Anyway, most of the books I had are gone with only the two boxes remaining. However, I pcked up a few GA books along the way and along with them a dilemma. It's really not worth solely bringing the miscellaneous books to a show without the GA material. However, theft is now an issue. The paper value of the GA books is substabtially greater than the 10 boxes of SA books I originally started with.

The story is a bit long but this thread leaves me to ponder the problem. Do I wish to play the role of a dealer taking the risk of theft while I'm quite content to offer the books on E-Bay? Besides I'm not sure how skillful my wife would be attempting to hold onto my books? She probably wouldn't let me leave the booth believing I should watch my own merchandise. She doesn't realize that a mans job is to hunt

Why not offer them here...???grin.gif

Any word on this? confused-smiley-013.gif

I will have my eyes open at Primate's New York City show this weekend. You never know. Thieves aren't always the brightest bulbs. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Want to know the best part of this story - I just talked to someone who was at the show - Told me that Teddy was all **smiles** on Sunday despite what had happened on Saturday. Teddy does not deserve this one iota.

Those books shoud stick out like a sore thumb...If they ever come to open market we will be ready.

I think that there is at least a 50-50 chance that Ted will get his books back and he has now gotten a lot of publicity on the boards. Something good will happen to him either way. Ted has some Karma going for him.

Except for that table thing in Baltimore. I thought Marc Nathan's head was going to pop off. What were you thinking Ted? confused-smiley-013.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Why not offer them here...???grin.gif

Why not set up at the one day Primate Promotions show October 8th?