• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storing CGC books

30 posts in this topic

Me again, probably yet another stupid question (is to me anyways, but I have to ask it). I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

Right now i've got my CGC books stealing one of my drawers in my dresser until I move into a new apartment probably 6 months down the road. Is this an okay place to put them in? Should they be standing up or is it okay to let them down and stack on top of each other, or should I be putting them in a box.

Again...probably a very dumb question but I need to know, so please hold my wallet while I tie my shoes..

I believe that you are better off storing your book laying down than standing up.

for my better books that are in the SD box most of those are down, but I think that in order to fit easier and hold more, the Slabbed books are standing up . The Box is as large as I could get and can hold well over 100 books.

I believe that you are better off storing your book laying down than standing up.

for my better books that are in the SD box most of those are down, but I think that in order to fit easier and hold more, the Slabbed books are standing up . The Box is as large as I could get and can hold well over 100 books.

I think stacking them horizontally is better as well.

In the slabs there is no risk of spine roll from the stacking. And in the horizontal position, there is much less stress on the staples and bottom edge.

It should be more than fine to stack them laying down in a regular box. there is no possible way for stress anywhere that way.

just don't shake up the box, stack many other things on top of it, or let the cat pee on it.

Currently my slabs are stored in Magazine boxes standing upright. Well.....those that aren't framed & displayed on my comic wall.

I used to stack them horizontally on top of one another...but it is possible that over time the inner well could begin to bow in the middle & cause undue pressure on the spine.

As long as you don't shake them, I think you'll be okay storing them either way. thumbsup2.gif

It should be more than fine to stack them laying down in a regular box. there is no possible way for stress anywhere that way.

just don't shake up the box, stack many other things on top of it, or let the cat pee on it.

How many is too many books stacked? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Currently my slabs are stored in Magazine boxes standing upright. Well.....those that aren't framed & displayed on my comic wall.

I used to stack them horizontally on top of one another...but it is possible that over time the inner well could begin to bow in the middle & cause undue pressure on the spine.

As long as you don't shake them, I think you'll be okay storing them either way. thumbsup2.gif

Actually, that's a problem with the actual CGC shipping box as well. If it's kept upright, it's okay... but if it's put on its side for any length of time, the internal side walls will bow and buckle. I've had two shipments that when opened showed massive buckling internally. (The slabs weren't damaged though from what I could see.)

Really just a matter of how much pressure you feel the plastic outer case can endure. grin.gif

Has this actually happened to you? If so how long did you have them like that before it happened?

Really just a matter of how much pressure you feel the plastic outer case can endure. grin.gif

grin.gif Well in your opinion and from experience what would you suggest? I was thinking 10 max but have you done differently?

Actually, that's a problem with the actual CGC shipping box as well. If it's kept upright, it's okay... but if it's put on its side for any length of time, the internal side walls will bow and buckle. I've had two shipments that when opened showed massive buckling internally. (The slabs weren't damaged though from what I could see.)

Another consideration is the inner well itself. The new one with the tapered edges is safer than the old ones for storing them upright. The old wells allow for too much movement, and the book will end up resting on the square edge at the bottom. This could cause the bottom edge of the book to become damaged over time.

Here's how I store mine:

2006_0918collectibles0004.jpg

I use Sterilite 12 QT/ 11.4 L plastic totes which you can pick up at Walmart for like $1.96 or so. They hold about 11 slabs vertically and can be safely stacked as I've had them 4 stacks high with no problems.

grin.gif Well in your opinion and from experience what would you suggest? I was thinking 10 max but have you done differently?

10 is casual. thumbsup2.gif