• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS policy Question

16 posts in this topic

I have asked a few people now so I thought I would just throw this out there.

I sell comics at shows as a dealer. I am also a signature series witness. I don't usually get sigs done unless someone wants one (meaning I don't go to all the artists at a show getting sigs I also don't collect them personally). That being said. If someone wants a sig series book done how do some of you folks recoup your time. I am all for doing a few at cost but the more time I spend in line doing sigs for people the less time I have to sell at my booth. I usually get my friends to watch the booth but sales drop off when I am not there to flog my wears. I don't make anything off of the sigs at cost. So What do you folks do? Charge the Sig fee before the 20% dealer discount and pocket the difference? charge a few bucks per sig?

Also do you charge an appropriate fraction of the submission shipping cost to the book buyer?

Any help would be appreciated.

-CW

I am familiar with the legalities and requirements I was wondering from a sales point of view how much one adds to their cost to cover the time. Ie what is fair? what do others charge over cost to cover the work involved.

Or is Paul still the guy to ask on that as well?

I am familiar with the legalities and requirements I was wondering from a sales point of view how much one adds to their cost to cover the time. Ie what is fair? what do others charge over cost to cover the work involved.

Or is Paul still the guy to ask on that as well?

Paul is the one to ask.

You can talk to Paul if you'd like, but you answered the question yourself:

There is a set price that the general public pays for Signature Series (moderns $27). Dealers approved to do SS do get a discount. As a dealer you can choose to pass along some or all of that discount to your customer - or none at all. Some dealers may charge above the suggested customer price if the difference between suggested costs and their discounted cost does not make up for their own costs to get them done.

I think it all depends on you. What are your costs in doing SS for others? If you were going to be there anyway then your cost is time and effort, or even a donation to a charity if they are signing at the HERO (ACTOR) booth or for the CBLDF. Some dealers just go to do SS and they have travel costs and expenses to factor into their prices, as well as additional signing related costs.

Generally dealers who have approval to do Signature Series on their account can submit a request in writing to CGC to have an employee or a person they trust become a witness on their account, as they will be responsible for the witnesses' conduct.

Outside of that some of the approved people work with / run some of the comics charities, as well as selected individuals who have been approved for the CGC house account (such as Forum members) to obtain autographs on specific occasions.

Approved witnesses must now read and understand a set of written rules and conditions for SS and sign a form indicating they have done so.

You can talk to Paul if you'd like, but you answered the question yourself:

There is a set price that the general public pays for Signature Series (moderns $27). Dealers approved to do SS do get a discount. As a dealer you can choose to pass along some or all of that discount to your customer - or none at all. Some dealers may charge above the suggested customer price if the difference between suggested costs and their discounted cost does not make up for their own costs to get them done.

I think it all depends on you. What are your costs in doing SS for others? If you were going to be there anyway then your cost is time and effort, or even a donation to a charity if they are signing at the HERO (ACTOR) booth or for the CBLDF. Some dealers just go to do SS and they have travel costs and expenses to factor into their prices, as well as additional signing related costs.

sign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks Guys. That answered my questions!

-Chris