• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dan Curtis Promotional Comics Sets- Pick Your Grade: 9.2 - 9.8+ ...Star Trek!

17 posts in this topic

I have complete raw sets of these 1974 promotional comics for sale in any grade you choose from 9.2 - 9.8+. I only grade up to 9.8, but it is very possible that if you were to send your set in, it would grade higher than my listed grade since I am super critical on my grading. I have only sent in 4 examples to be pro-graded (by another grading service, not CGC- if they were from 1975 I would have sent them to CGC, but they just miss the modern tier foreheadslap.gif)... and my 9.8 grades came back: 9.8, 9.8, 9.8. 9.9 (they are in that company's census). So feel confident you will get at least the grade you specify. Page quality is generally off-white to white, some may be white. Here is my price structure: a complete set of 9.8 (or better) for $275.00, a 9.6 set for $200.00, a 9.4 set for $125.00, or a 9.2 set for $50.00... FREE PRIORITY SHIPPING to USA CGC board members, add $9.50 shipping for Global Priority to most other countries. If you want to check my ebay feedback, I am jmcneer on ebay and have been selling comics on ebay for almost 9 years now. I will scan the exact set you will get on request if you PM me with your email address. Here are samples of a 9.8 (or better) set- back covers are equally nice, but feel free to PM with your email for scans:

#1 Dark Shadows

curtis1.jpg

#2 Star Trek

curtis2.jpg

#3 The Twilight Zone

curtis3.jpg

#4 Ripley's Believe It Or Not

curtis4.jpg

#5 Turok- Son of Stone

curtis5.jpg

#6 Star Trek

curtis6.jpg

#7 The Occult Files of Doctor Spektor

curtis7.jpg

#8 Dagar The Invincible

curtis8.jpg

#9 Grimm's Ghost Stories

curtis9.jpg

Single Set Deal is now Expired! Here's the new deal:

Anyone interested in a factory sealed box from 1974 containing exactly 200 complete sets of the 9 comics in the series, please PM me before it goes on ebay. Whoever buys the sealed box will have the option to completely buy me out of my stock of these comics.

A sealed box, I have found, averages out to be approximately 95% 9.4 or better! There is a layer or 2 of them on the very top and bottom that get damaged from the packing. Everything in the middle is pristine and can go as high as 9.9, maybe 10.0!

Serious offers only! hi.gif

I will list this sealed box either on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday this coming week on ebay for a 10 day auction, so if you want to make an offer beforehand, get it in before Tuesday afternoon.

...and in the meantime, check out the prices at mile high, keywords: Dan Curtis. No surprise there- no pics, multiple guide in "NM". thumbsup2.gif

If you'd blown out sets the nicer sets on the boards at even $25 a pop, you'd have done well and made a lot of people happy....now it looks like it's box time.

Yep, sadly it's box time. It would take me more than one lifetime to sell individual comics or sets when people aren't motivated to buy. Sorry, I was taking offers... confused-smiley-013.gif

gossip.gif More info:

Whoever buys the $40,000++ value box will have the option to buy the 2-1/2 other boxfuls that were pre-graded and matched up per grade. I have 2 long boxes jam packed with bags & boards of 4 & 5 comics per bag/board that grade out at 9.4 & better and 9.6 & better. I put the Dark Shadows, Star Treks & Turok 4 per bag/board, and the other 5 lesser titles at 5 per bag/board. They were placed very carefully, air-sealed and boxed and whenever I take a bag/board out to re-examine, they are still perfectly positioned. I am a meticulous guy who handled and stored them with the white glove treatment. There is also a short box that is being filled with the 9.8's. I still have the stacks of the 5 lesser titles on the same Priority boards shown in the photo with a Priority board on top covering them and a cloth covering them since I quit grading them at the point I lost my job over a year ago. I probably won't get back to that chore, but I already know the average percentage per grade to expect: It will take another box for 9.4's and 9.6's for them and the 9.8 short box will be completely full, probably with extras.

Then there's the initial order I placed of 14 sets to examine before I bought the boxlots, and I noticed that the half box that I bought had about 25 extras of at least one title, but you get overwhelmed with the quantity after awhile and have to estimate everything... I will not individually count every single comic because I'm sure I would lose track and have to start over several times. 27_laughing.gif There is a short box with several of the comics that were skimmed off the top and bottoms of the box with crease/fold damage etc. – that box is less than 1/2 full of unbagged/boarded stacks covered & surrounded (fortressed by) spare old bags/boards that were handy. Those would be great for a pro or amateur presser to deal with. Altogether I think there are 6,500 of these comics- but don't confuse that with the 1,800 in the sealed box!

I have only sold 3 comics out of all of them that I have bought so far: 3 of the 4 slabbed ones... the rest have been in hiding. I was hoping to sit on the whole lot for 10-15 years or so, but oh well. My motivation to sell? I need a new roof on my house. tonofbricks.gif

I may have answered all questions by now, but if not, feel free to fire away!

Good luck....

I know what it's like to have a nice group of books like this.....I just sell them a little differently.

I found a nice group of 1950's promo comics in high grade.......and have sold a few over the years. I'm in no hurry to sell them all though and I have no where near your quantities.

Update! I relisted this sealed box... it's scheduled to start in a half hour so I will provide a new link when it begins.

5% Overstreet to start, 10% guide to Buy It Now, and most books will grade 9.2 or better with loads of 9.4, 9.6 or better- GUARANTEED! thumbsup2.gif

Interesting books I was watching a complete set on ebay with a buy it now for 19.95 with no takers. Stated all in mint condition pulled from boxes like yours from a warehouse find. Sounds like you might have a hard time selling if there are just cases of these out there unopened. Plus looks like demand might be low as well. I wish you luck.

As far as I know there is only one sealed box left and it's the one I'm selling. There were 3 sealed boxes available and I bought 3 them. And half of another box that the guy was selling sets out of. The guy that was selling them for 19.99 and describing them as Mint was most likely the guy I bought mine from. Like I said earlier, he doesn't know how to grade, so to him, even the 9.0's are "Mint". He hasn't been selling any sets lately and I believe that I am the only one who bought in great quantity from him, so I assume I own most of the existing copies... and I'm ready to sell them all. I believe the guy only had what was left out of his half box that I didn't buy and was using the same stock photo on all the sets he was selling.

As far as low demand goes, that is generally true I believe, except for the Star Trek copies, but I wouldn't sell any copies singly unless I had some slabbed.

LINK DELETED

7 day auction- ends next Saturday... once again I apologize that this thread is no longer a Forum only deal, but it did start out as one. confused-smiley-013.gif

Please delete this post, as it is OT for this forum, and you have already double-posted it in the EBay Marketplace.

Thank you, and I trust I won't need to come back.