• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thumbprint and grade

16 posts in this topic

i'd agree with comicdey in that case. if the book was otherwise a VF or so, i'd say it wouldn't hurt too terribly badly, but i doubt you'll be able to hold on to NM- with that flaw

It will hurt it and likely take it out of the 9.0+ range.

where's the crying gremlin? but kinda what i expected to hear

I agree, you'll get farooked on the grade - it's a stain . . . and we all know how CGC handles stains! Ouch! wink.gif

If it's a solid 9.4 and the thumbprint is that small, I don't necessarily see it knocking the book below 9.0. Let us know how it comes back (and show us a scan).

also matters where the 'print is. if it's smack dab in the visual center of the FC, you're - as SnarkyDave likes to say - "fooked," but if it's off in a corner somewhere you maaaaaaaay be somewhat saved

I can comment on this as I had a book come back recently that would appear 9.4 minimum but there was a finger/thumb smudge that I didn't even catch on the cover and the book was graded 9.0. I'm not griping, just speaking from recent experience. It is also very minute, you'd be hard pressed to even find the finger print in the case right now.

How would this effect books in the 7.5 - 8.0 range? I have a nice Avengers #52 that I bought as a kid and I gave it the dang fingerprint smudge when I was reading it! tonofbricks.gif

I believe the smudge would be about quarter size? Any thoughts?

If it's a solid 9.4 and the thumbprint is that small, I don't necessarily see it knocking the book below 9.0. Let us know how it comes back (and show us a scan).

2510178-003.jpg

print is just to the right of the issue #.

So I was right! smirk.gif

Without seeing a bigger scan, it`s hard to see how bad the thumbprint is. In your scan, it`s so small that it just looks like a slightly lighter patch, and I would never have realized it was a thumbprint. That`s a very sharp looking copy, I`d love to see a bigger scan to see what defects knocked it down and just how bad the thumbprint is.

I have a book in the 9.2/9.4 range that has 2 fingerprints, but in this case they did not lift color off of the cover. But when shifting the book under the light (you have to have the angle right) you can definately see that they are there. Just a different 'gloss' on the cover in the spots. What's the consensus? Same deal (9.0, tops) even though there is no color difference?