• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Any info on San Francisco

86 posts in this topic

Hey guys, the fiance and I are heading to SF for an extended weekend get-away. Anybody care to give me some inside knowledge, about things to do, places to see info?

And, of course, are there any good comic shops in the area? Nothing says romance like DC war books.

Much appreciated for any info. Thanks-John

SF is a fantastic area for great food; what cuisines do you or your fiance like? There's also a ton to do in the greater area, like Monterey or Napa, aside from good museums or tourist sites.

Do you want to stay only in SF, or are you willing to rent a car and leave the city?

For comic shops, you'll likely need to rent a car...you might want to PM houseofcomics and set up a private showing. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey guys, the fiance and I are heading to SF for an extended weekend get-away. Anybody care to give me some inside knowledge, about things to do, places to see info?

And, of course, are there any good comic shops in the area? Nothing says romance like DC war books.

Much appreciated for any info. Thanks-John

You could always contact House of Comics for war books....He's located in Berkeley, CA which is right outside San Francisco.

I'll leave the touristy stuff to others... but SF has more restaurants than you'd know what to do with generally.

I would try to get out on the water though..either through a Ferry ride, bay cruise, or whatever. (The Bay.. not the ocean.)

SF is a fantastic area for great food; what cuisines do you or your fiance like? There's also a ton to do in the greater area, like Monterey or Napa, aside from good museums or tourist sites.

Do you want to stay only in SF, or are you willing to rent a car and leave the city?

For comic shops, you'll likely need to rent a car...you might want to PM houseofcomics and set up a private showing. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Definitely some italian...I assume little Italy is worth a look. We have to do a fancy dinner...not too many places in Boise so it would be nice to go to a nice place for a change(seafood, probably). We're staying at the Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf...hope it's nice...just booked it online and it seemed like it was in a great location to catch the sites without having to drive too much.

We have a trip planned to Muir woods and since she is a wino we plan to hit Napa Valley for sure.

Didn't think about HOC, but will contact him to set something up. What about good clubs(no chaps optional ones though)...she wants to go dancing.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

bring a jacket. and a sweater. and mittens. and the gutted out carcass of a fur seal to wear around your body.

Samuel Clemens said something along the lines of "the coldest winter i ever spent was summer in san francisco" and that guy knew what he was talking about

We have to do a fancy dinner...not too many places in Boise so it would be nice to go to a nice place for a change(seafood, probably).

Might I suggest Fleur de Lys...

Wonderful wine list and very accommodating (my sister-in-law has a lot of food allergies and the kitchen got creative and accommodated her without a moment's notice/hesitation).

Just a suggestion, There are better Italian places than in Little Italy. There is a cute cozy place called Borgo at Fell & Laguna. There is a great German place called Walzwerk at 14th and South Van Ness that is really cool/yummy, everyone I have taken there has been impressed (I generally don't like German food). If you have kids OR are a big kid yourself go to the Exploratorium in the Marina. It is a fun science interactive museum type thing, weekdays are better as it gets crowded on the weekends. You can walk to an old fort under the GG Bridge from the Exploratorium. The Elbow Room on Valencia St has dancing (generally Latin or funk) Best Burrito El Metate at 23rd and Bryant!

wife was there 5 years ago, she liked the fortune cookie factory, the seals at some pier and said the food was amazing and not to walk uphill or something.