• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Any info on San Francisco

86 posts in this topic

Ebisu is good, if one likes sushi, good prices etc.

Hamano , in noe valley is good too.

How about "House of Nan king "for some decent orginal chinese food. no reservation, maybe a 20 min wait, and soemthign to counter that $500 tab, that non lawyer types might tackle , the next day after the French Laundry. Plus if the man is from Idaho, he might like the yams that seem to come with most dishes there. tourism aside, it's decent ! then one can go to jazz at pearls, or catch a drink by city lights books store/ Kerouac alley.

Delfina in the mission district is good , and very affordable, wine list good for the $.

if the mrs, is a wino, well then visit your favorite winery. some folk like to bring their guest to sterling winery. the wine stinks, and do thier prices, for grapes they buy else where. but the tour is unique and something to remember , i guess.

Salute to SF and it's residents !

well good luck!

How about "House of Nan king "for some decent orginal chinese food. no reservation, maybe a 20 min wait, and soemthign to counter that $500 tab, that non lawyer types might tackle , the next day after the French Laundry. Plus if the man is from Idaho, he might like the yams that seem to come with most dishes there. tourism aside, it's decent ! then one can go to jazz at pearls, or catch a drink by city lights books store/ Kerouac alley.

House of Nanking is probably the most famous Chinese restaurant in town, but there are better less-well-known Chinese restaurants nearby. My favorite cheap Chinese restaurant is right around the corner from House of Nanking. It's called "Hunan Home's" and it has the best potstickers I've ever had. The Kung Pao chicken and the Hunan Spicy prawns are also favorites, as is the moo shu pork. cloud9.gif It is on Jackson Street between Kearny and Stockton. (Fellow forumite Povertyrow turned me on to this restaurant earlier this year.) It's a big place (there's an upstairs and a large downstairs) so there's almost never a wait. Everything on the menu is great, but the potstickers are a must! Also good is Great Hunan Restaurant on the corner of Jackson and Columbus. Awesome black bean chicken. Fellow forumite divad was the source for this one.

house of nanking is not "chinese food", it's chinese food for the non chinese folks. if you walk into a "chinese" restaurant with no asian peeps inside, what do you think? gossip.gif

Now now....

Just because a restaurant is full of Asian people doesn't mean that it would be appealing to the average person. It could just mean that that restaurant serves more "authentic" Chinese dishes which people of other cultures might not find so appealing.

It's the difference between Chinese food and Chinese-American food. Fortune cookies were invented in SF, but almost every Chinese restaurant serves them now. It's an expected tradition.

For instance, potstickers (or jiaozhe) are from Northern China (and we actually don't eat it as an appetizer.. it's usually as the main course oddly enough with about 20 or so on a plate.)

Moo Shu Pork is kind of an American invention, like chop suey although it has its roots in Northern China as well.

house of nanking is not "chinese food", it's chinese food for the non chinese folks. if you walk into a "chinese" restaurant with no asian peeps inside, what do you think? gossip.gif

Now now....

Just because a restaurant is full of Asian people doesn't mean that it would be appealing to the average person. It could just mean that that restaurant serves more "authentic" Chinese dishes which people of other cultures might not find so appealing.

It's the difference between Chinese food and Chinese-American food. Fortune cookies were invented in SF, but almost every Chinese restaurant serves them now. It's an expected tradition.

For instance, potstickers (or jiaozhe) are from Northern China (and we actually don't eat it as an appetizer.. it's usually as the main course oddly enough with about 20 or so on a plate.)

Moo Shu Pork is kind of an American invention, like chop suey although it has its roots in Northern China as well.

OK, now I want to eat at YOUR house. poke2.gif

i'd just walk down the street to R&G lounge for fantastic chinese food, if not one of many in chinatown. hail.gif but if you really want to eat at house of "white"nanking, chef gia's next door is the same exact kitchen. 893whatthe.gifscrewy.gif

I had lunch at the R&G just yesterday thumbsup2.gif

that the cats in the neighborhood are safe?

poke2.gif

i'd just walk down the street to R&G lounge for fantastic chinese food, if not one of many in chinatown. hail.gif but if you really want to eat at house of "white"nanking, chef gia's next door is the same exact kitchen. 893whatthe.gifscrewy.gif

We ate their with our neighbors a month or two ago...the neighbor's kid and the R&G owner's kid went to school together. We got the royal treatment, with tons of food. thumbsup2.gif Their salt and pepper crab is the best! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Now now....

OK, now I want to eat at YOUR house. poke2.gif

My family has done that a couple of times as a holiday lunch. If you don't help make the dumplings, you don't get to eat any. We have them pan-fried as well as boiled. cloud9.gif Almost every cousin, aunt, and uncle each eat at least 10. I eat over 20... wink.gif

27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gifhail.gif

Note to FFB: if you want to be a foodie, don't go into a Chinese restaurant and order moo shu pork or kung pao chicken. And don't call the dumplings "pot stickers"! Christo_pull_hair.gif

poke2.gif

Having said that, when I come back to the US for vacation, I will usually at some point break down and get some American-style Chinese food. I know, I know, screwy.gif. My wife says that too. 27_laughing.gif

Note to FFB: if you want to be a foodie, don't go into a Chinese restaurant and order moo shu pork or kung pao chicken. And don't call the dumplings "pot stickers"! Christo_pull_hair.gif

I call them what the menu calls them. makepoint.gif And the moo shu pork and kung pao chicken are house specialties. cloud9.gifyay.gif

Having said that, when I come back to the US for vacation, I will usually at some point break down and get some American-style Chinese food. I know, I know, screwy.gif. My wife says that too. 27_laughing.gif

If you come to SF, I will take you to Hunan Home's and you will eat potstickers, kung pao chicken, and spicy hunan prawns. AND A FORTUNE COOKIE AND ORANGE WEDGES! makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

I highly recommend walking across the Golden Gate bridge. Dress warmly and don't go if you're afraid of heights.

If you like big ol' toasted sub sandwiches, try The Yellow Sub in the Sunset district. Yum...

I haven't been to the shops in S.F. in a long time, but Green Apple Books always had a tpb or graphic novel that I was always looking for my collection.

I call them what the menu calls them. makepoint.gif And the moo shu pork and kung pao chicken are house specialties. cloud9.gifyay.gif

If you come to SF, I will take you to Hunan Home's and you will eat potstickers, kung pao chicken, and spicy hunan prawns. AND A FORTUNE COOKIE AND ORANGE WEDGES! makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

And LIKE it! sumo.gif

We ate their with our neighbors a month or two ago...the neighbor's kid and the R&G owner's kid went to school together. We got the royal treatment, with tons of food. thumbsup2.gif Their salt and pepper crab is the best! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yes, just an awesome dish! thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I call them what the menu calls them. makepoint.gif

That should've been your first clue, grasshopper! poke2.gif

And the moo shu pork and kung pao chicken are house specialties. cloud9.gifyay.gif

Yes, but the foodies don't order them. gossip.gif

Okay, if you pay, I guess I will force myself to endure this incredible indignity. 27_laughing.gif

And the moo shu pork and kung pao chicken are house specialties. cloud9.gifyay.gif

Okay, if you pay, I guess I will force myself to endure this incredible indignity. 27_laughing.gif

screwy.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Got something to say, sweet & sour pork boy? sumo.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif OK, I guess I'm not a foodie then? I still seem to do fine when I pick the restaurant. cloud9.gif

Got something to say, sweet & sour pork boy? sumo.gif

sorry.gif