• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should CGC employees eat with collectors

92 posts in this topic

The dinners are harmless. (until people drink too much)

It allows every faction to sit down and break bread. If you have the nads to speak your mind.. THERE they are,....sitting right there with you, they are not hiding.

Many times the conversations and opinions flow wild and wolly. The fact that CGC might pick up a part of the tab is an afterthought at best. It does NOT curb what might, or might NOT be said.

Just like this board.

I would rather be present and promote what I feel is important, then sit here and complain online..

Ze-

Kenny is on the money. I've been to, at least, 4 "Forum Dinners" (2 in Philly, 2 in B'more). At every single one, all attendees have paid their way. The cost of the dinners covered dinner & space costs. Drinks were always paid by each member other than the 1st Philly Dinner (IIRC CGC picked up that tab, although most of us threw down money towards the bar tab).

Of course we talk about comics at the dinner (they are what brought us together). But, for the most part, the "comic talk" is showing what we picked up that day at the show, or talking about what books we read or collect. Alot of us bring artwork to share. Doug Schmell (Pedigree Comics) brought some of his books to the 2nd Philly Dinner to show us (something I'm forever grateful for; how many chances will you get to hold the highest graded FF#1 in your hands? The White Mountain FF#5?). Doug didn't bring the books to pump CGC up. He brought them to share with others that would appreciate them.

The forum dinners are not a "business dinner". They are a time for collectors to get together and share our hobby with others who love it as much as we do. As far as I can remember, the only time actual "CGC Business" was discussed was at the 2nd B'more dinner where Steve brought the proposed "New Restoration Lables" to show to us and get opinions. That took all of 15 minutes.

I just don't see how the forum dinners are a conflict of interest. confused-smiley-013.gif

CGC has never (in my experience) shown favoritism to any level of customer or collector over another at these events.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

You did see the CGC Forum Awards, right? makepoint.gif

And you got a bit bent and wonder why people change the wording in your posts.......(wasn't it a comment on sour grapes.... 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

Laugh all you want, but I'm dead right about this. sumo.gif

Dead right about what? What "level of customer" do you think I am? I haven't sent a book in for certification for over two years. Prior to that, I may have sent in 25-30 books total since CGC opened its doors.

Are you implying that "level of service" got me a "gift" award?

For those of you who weren't reading the "Manufactured Gold" thread, the whole dinner thing was started in regards to CGC clients... not collectors per se.

Should CGC personel be allowed to have meals with large clients such as Vincent from Metro or Chucky from Mile High? Or is that a conflict of interest? Would you "perceive" it to be improper?

It is Viscosity's opinion that no matter what, CGC employees having dinner with anyone that is a client is against the whole concept of 3rd party.

I disagree as most of these people were CGC employees friends before the company began and it's foolish to think that because they're having dinner other people will view it as anything other than a meal.

Agree/disagree

Better question... If you walked by a cafe and saw Steve B. having a drink with Chuck from Mile High what would you think?

I would think:

A) Who is tending the farm?

B) Huh, I didn't realize that cafe served liquor before 9am.

And a snippet of conversation heard:

"My ponytail is longer than your!"

insane.gifpoke2.gif

Better question... If you walked by a cafe and saw Steve B. having a drink with Chuck from Mile High what would you think?

I'd be wondering how long before slabs with "MileHigh III" on the label hit the market.

That's the 1st thing that came to mind when reading your scenario. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'd be wondering how long before slabs with "MileHigh III" on the label hit the market.

That's the 1st thing that came to mind when reading your scenario. confused-smiley-013.gif

Dude that is just plain silly. Statements like that are just fuel for the fire....As is this thread....I mean how foocked up are we....a thread about who CGC employees are allowed to socialize with? 893censored-thumb.gif Why don't we start a thread about the length of Steve Borock's hair and hold a poll as to whether it inhibits his ability to finalize comic grades.... screwy.gif

This thread is just a waste of time and shows how small some minds can be. As a grown man i can socialize with whomever i wish to and still keep business separate. But that's just my opinion.... sumo.gif

R.

Dude that is just plain silly. Statements like that are just fuel for the fire....As is this thread....I mean how foocked up are we....a thread about who CGC employees are allowed to socialize with? 893censored-thumb.gif Why don't we start a thread about the length of Steve Borock's hair and hold a poll as to whether it inhibits his ability to finalize comic grades.... screwy.gif

This thread is just a waste of time and shows how small some minds can be. As a grown man i can socialize with whomever i wish to and still keep business separate. But that's just my opinion.... sumo.gif

R.

Why are you guys reading so much into my comments? That's the 1st thing that came to mind. I don't care who has lunch/dinner/sex with who. Do what the hell you want. confused-smiley-013.gif

Guys, no one with half a brain thinks there's anything wrong with forum dinners. Just drop it already before people start to think that there's any real controversy here. screwy.gif

Guys, no one with half a brain thinks there's anything wrong with forum dinners. Just drop it already before people start to think that there's any real controversy here. screwy.gif

That's what i'm saying...this thread should never have even started...It's just another board witch hunt which is not based on facts, just opinions...IMO tongue.gif

...a thread about who CGC employees are allowed to socialize with? 893censored-thumb.gif Why don't we start a thread about the length of Steve Borock's hair and hold a poll as to whether it inhibits his ability to finalize comic grades.... screwy.gif

This thread is just a waste of time and shows how small some minds can be.

.... just don't shoot the author of this particular thread.

I only made it to get forum members to leave the MANUFACTURED GOLD thread alone.

And even then you couldn't stop them foreheadslap.gif

...a thread about who CGC employees are allowed to socialize with? 893censored-thumb.gif Why don't we start a thread about the length of Steve Borock's hair and hold a poll as to whether it inhibits his ability to finalize comic grades.... screwy.gif

This thread is just a waste of time and shows how small some minds can be.

.... just don't shoot the author of this particular thread.

I only made it to get forum members to leave the MANUFACTURED GOLD thread alone.

And even then you couldn't stop them foreheadslap.gif

Dude, I never shoot the messenger. I was just venting a bit. flowerred.gif

Boy do things ever get out of hand whenever greggy is not around... 27_laughing.gif