• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luis Dominguez Appreciation Thread

122 posts in this topic

Maybe there's already been a thread like this, but if not... time to give props to L.D.

Everyone talks about Adams, Cardy and Kubert (and rightly so) when talking BA DC cover artists... but Luis deserves a place at the table. He's awesome, and he produced so many incredible covers.

So, raid your photobucket files and post some of them up here. I'm starting with a personal fave...

64da8c6b.jpg

Luis Dominguez totally dominated covers on the Ghosts series...and although the covers were very consistent in their presentation, this one always stood out for me. I'm discovering his work on other series (like the GK RBION series) that is sparking my interest.

1409022-ghosts_046_cgc_9_6_white_0128793012_a.jpg

1409022-ghosts_046_cgc_9_6_white_0128793012_a.jpg.c71da057cc9a6faee66a317a32f9ed3d.jpg

If only the interiors of these books could have stood up to the covers.

Too true... And LD did precious little interior work for DC (unless someone can point me to a title the he consistently drew the stories for)

Here's another of my favorites:

hos145f.jpg

I agree that Ghosts was one of the weaker titles, but I still love the stories. sumo.gif

I'm finding out that LD did a lot of internal work for the Gold Key horror titles. That's one of the reasons why I'm starting to collect em. Easily one of the last cheaper places for silver/bronze horror.

Here's one of LD's paintings for one of the GK titles (reminds me of the Nick Cardy WH #40/Ghosts #8 covers that both share "clock" themes):

1410251-tom96.jpg

1410251-tom96.jpg.9212e69b8f28cdd1d967ffd67dd9bab6.jpg

Sterling,

How are the stories in those books? I remember reading them as a kid, and some of them really gave me the heebie-jeebies, especially 'UFOs'. There was one issue a buddy of mine had, and the first page had a few 'news items' about UFOs... one of which was a horse that was killed by a UFO laser beam. In fact, I think it might even have said the horse was 'turned inside out!'. That scared the tar out of me, and I think I crawled into my parents' bed for a month.

Good times!

Shep

The stories (especially in the RBION) seem very realistic (as far as this genre is concerned), coupled with the "Weird Eerie Authentic" slogans. I read a few as a child and thought they were great. Keep in mind that I grew up on the "original" Ripley series on TV so that added an element of realism I must admit. I'm just now starting on some of the other titles like TZ and BK.

I've since read a few of LD's stories in the earlier issues and think it is fantastic. My primary exposure to Luis Dominguez was at DC, where he was the cover king. I never was able to find/read any internal material growing up. Finding these stories with his work was like finding a bit of treasure. I would recommend anyone interested in seeing more of his work going to comics.org and do a query.

Here's an example (not comprehensive) of his internal story contribution at DC vs. GK. You get the idea.

DC

Ghosts #32 The Fruit of the Hanging Tree

House of Mystery #248 The Night Jamie Gave Up the Ghost

House of Secrets #112 The Case of the Demon Spawn

House of Secrets #125 Catch as Cats Can!

Gold Key

Ripley's Believe it Or Not #5 The Balloon Buster

Ripley's Believe it or Not #7 The Devil's Steed

Ripley's Believe it or Not #8 Death Comes Knocking

Ripley's Believe it or Not #10 Ravens of Doom

Ripley's Believe it or Not #11 Death Comes Riding

Ripley's Believe it or Not #12 The Strangling Oak

Ripley's Believe it or Not #16 The Winged Phantom

Ripley's Believe it or Not #20 The Boy with the Fiery Eyes

Ripley's Believe it or Not #21 My Lady Death

Ripley's Believe it or Not #22 The Demon Vine of Death

Ripley's Believe it or Not #23 The Doomed Patrol

Ripley's Believe it or Not #24 The Dancing Stranger

Ripley's Believe it or Not #25 The Black Demon of Devon

Ripley's Believe it or Not #27 Satan's Apprentice

Ripley's Believe it or Not #29 The Trumpeting Demons of Death

Ripley's Believe it or Not #30 Army of the Vanished

Ripley's Believe it or Not #31 The Spirit Bells

Ripley's Believe it or Not #31 The Duel

Ripley's Believe it or Not #32 The Weeping Ghost

Ripley's Believe it or Not #33 Curse of the Black Monk

Ripley's Believe it or Not #34 The Surprise Party

Ripley's Believe it or Not #35 The Smoke of Death

Ripley's Believe it or Not #36 Place Your Bets

Ripley's Believe it or Not #40 The Torment of Anne Cruz

Ripley's Believe it or Not #41 The Traveling Companion

Ripley's Believe it or Not #47 The Spectral Blessing

Ripley's Believe it or Not #51 Make Me Laugh

Ripley's Believe it or Not #52 The Holy Man

Ripley's Believe it or Not #70 Old Jamey

Twilight Zone #23 The Visitor

Twilight Zone #25 Tombstone Valley

Twilight Zone #28 The Captive Town

Twilight Zone #37 The Man Beast of Paris

Twilight Zone #37 The Threshold

Twilight Zone #38 A Date With Death

Twilight Zone #40 The Last Voyage

Twilight Zone #42 The Haunted Taxi

Twilight Zone #44 The Science Teacher

Twilight Zone #45 A Call For Mr. Travers

Twilight Zone #46 Dream of the Devil

Twilight Zone #48 Nightmare in Miniature

Twilight Zone #48 The Numbers Game

Twilight Zone #50 Join the Club

Twilight Zone #53 Who's Afraid of the Ju-Ju Man?

Twilight Zone #54 Caldwell's Last Stand

Twilight Zone #56 A Taste of Immortaility

Twilight Zone #58 Portrait of an Artist

Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #20 The Death Bell

Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #21 The Scavengers

Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #22 Secret of Dante's Spirit

Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #24 The Demon Masks

Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #30 The Grotesque One

Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #31 Strange Music

Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #33 The Juggernaut

Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #35 Beware the Wrath of Xataplan

Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #37 The Mystic Clay

Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #40 The Elevator

Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #40 The Sadiki's Master

Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #41 The Peril at Fifty Fathoms

Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #42 The Man Who Cried Monster

Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #44 The Winged Sphinx

Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #45 Coat of Arms

Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #51 Off the Beaeten Path

Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #52 The Demon Waters

Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #56 A Jagged Orbit

I also love Luis Dominguez on other genres, such as Westerns. I love his Weird Western Tales and Jonah Hex covers. One interesting thing I discovered on comics.org is that he did a ton of internal work on Charlton's Cheyenne Kid. I may need to pick up some readers and see what his work was like.

Check out this 1967 cover of Cheyenne Kid--he even signs his complete name, and not the LD that us DC fans are familiar with. The style looks a little different...even looks a little Ditkoish.

1235_4_063.jpg

From www.lambiek.net/artists/d/dominguez_luis.htm

1411102-dominguez_weirdmystery1974.jpg

Luis Angel Dominguez is an Argentine artist, who has worked a lot for American horror and mystery comic books in the 1960s and 1970s. He has made comics in his native country since the 1940s. He has cooperated with the writer Hector German Oesterheld on 'Scout River' in 1956. He also worked on comics like Patoruzito and Pancho Lopez. He did his first US works in the early 1960s, contributing to 'The Wonders of Aladdin' (Dell) and 'The World Around Us' (Gilberton).

Between 1963 and 1970 has was affiliated with the Union Studio in Latin America. He did back-up features for Charlton and drew for many of the company's 1960s war and western titles, such as 'Cheyenne Kid', 'Fightin' Marines', 'Billy the Kid' and 'Outlaws of the West'. From 1967 through the late 1970s, he did a lot of work for Gold Key titles like 'Ripley's Believe it or Not', 'Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery', 'Grimm's Ghost Stories', 'The Twilight Zone' and 'UFO Flying Saucers'. Then in the 1970s, he also began working for DC, illustrating for 'House of Mystery', 'House of Secrets', 'The Witching Hour' and 'Jonah Hex'. He additionally contributed to the horror publications of Skywald and Warren.

1411102-dominguez_weirdmystery1974.jpg.4fdde350b214e362e97e6e5c91a5d46f.jpg

I also love Luis Dominguez on other genres, such as Westerns. I love his Weird Western Tales and Jonah Hex covers. One interesting thing I discovered on comics.org is that he did a ton of internal work on Charlton's Cheyenne Kid. I may need to pick up some readers and see what his work was like.

Check out this 1967 cover of Cheyenne Kid--he even signs his complete name, and not the LD that us DC fans are familiar with. The style looks a little different...even looks a little Ditkoish.

1235_4_063.jpg

That's pretty cool - actually, when I saw that I thought it looked a little like Russ Heath.

Great info, Sterling. I've got to pick up some of those GK and Charlton books.

Shep

Luis is still around, doing commission work through legendary comics writer Arnold Drake, who is his art rep. Arnold's a joy to talk with and Luis works fast and his stuff looks better than ever. I had him draw Jonah Hex for me recently. Arnold was taking the art to the post office and accidentally left it in a taxi cab. So, Luis just drew me another!

I can't say enough about Luis and Arnold and how great the transaction went. Those are two great guys and true gentlemen.

Mike B.