• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No bids for Chuck? Dallas we have a problem...

41 posts in this topic

"This is a second listing on this item. The starting price has been reduced significantly. If we cannot achieve this starting price, we have been instructed by the seller to withdraw the item from eBay."

Then keep the books!

John

The exact same FC 108 9.2 was for sale at Comic Link around 2 years

ago for $3,200. Mr. Stevens most likely did not mind paying a premium

for quality which I respect and support 100%. However, relisting the book

at a 30% profit seems a little steep, especially given that a CGC 9.4

copy is offered at Heritage's July auction.

Not to defend Chuck or even Dallas Stevens on this one, but given that Dallas has apparently agreed to cut Chuck in to the tune of 50% (did I read this right in Chuck's TFTDB post?), he kinda has to run the prices up in order to get back what he paid on a lot of these nicer books... not that that makes the prices more attractive...

Wow, after the listing fees from starting those books at those overinflated prices and some WITH reserves too.. I'd hate to see how in debt Chuck is.. I mean hell.. he still has to pay off that 79.99 truck rental to get these gems to the Overgraded Hell he calls Mile High Comics.

Brian

He has to pay a fixed listing fee which is a set price based on the starting bid. And I believe a huge reserve price costs a fairly large sum too.. so I'd guess he's paying 5-10 dollars a piece to list some of these books each time..

Brian

Who's end do you think these are coming out of. On Wall Street this is called churning. There are fees attached to each and every transaction and money from the profitable ones is offset by fees from the losers. In addition to the ebay fees, someone from MH is doing alot of bookeeping and we suspect they might be very well paid.

one would expect Chuck to have put all that up against his half: dallas provides the comics; Chuck puts up the services associated with selling the collection. But somehow I bet Chucks deal is 50/50 (or better) AFTER all his expenses for hi sexpertise. you know, the special innate ability of Chuck to price the books correctly! HAH!!!

Well there has to be an alterior motive for him putting these books on eBay. I believe Chuck promised some decent $$ out of these books and possibly a portion to Dallas for the payment? I don't know, but it just doesn't sit right that...out of the blue he'd suddenly just toss up a bunch of high grade CGC'd books on eBay when he normally just takes everything he buys from a collection and puts it on his site.

Brian

he has to pay a lot just to list them even if they dont sell? Is that based on the reserve prices? or is it a fee per item no matter how much it is worth?

With eBay's new Reserve fees (total B.S, by the way), you have to figure about $1 per $100 of reserve, which is waived IF the item meets its reserve.

So, an item with a $2,500 reserve will cost $25 for the Reserve Fee alone!

Basically, what this means is, ebay makes a huge chunk of change whether an item sells or not (either final value fee or reserve fee). Damn greedy bastiches..that's why I bought the stock last year at $46 smile.gif

I'd love be tapping the line during one of Dallas' no doubt frequent calls to Chuck... assuming Chuck's even taking Dallas' calls at this point smile.gif

DS: "Chuck? It's Dallas."

CR: "Dallas who?"

DS: "Dallas Stevens - you know, the guy whose $2 million in comic books you drove off into the sunset with a few weeks back?"

CR: "Oh, THAT Dallas...right, right... what can I do you for?"

DS: "Well, I just wanted to check in and see how the sales were going so far."

CR: "Listen, Dal - I'm kinda busy at the moment; can I give you a ring back in, oh, I dunno, say 5 days, 3 hours, and maybe 46 minutes? I should have time to chat then."

DS: "Well, okay, but I'm kinda hurtin' for cash at the moment, and thought you might be able to send me my share of the money from the sales so far? Western Union's okay if that's convenient for you."

CR: "Listen, Dilbert - er, Dallas - we haven't actually sold any of those books yet. These are like fine wines, you don't just crack open a case and start hawking 'em on the street corner (laughs condescendingly)."

DS: "Right, of course - I owned these comics for awhile, remember? I know they're valuable. But can you at least give me some sense of how sales are going? What about those books you decided to list on eBay, to generate interest and drive traffic to the Mile High website? Any nibbles on those?"

CR: "Are you telling me how to sell comics now, Delfourth? Are you implying that I might not have a handle on current market conditions? 'Cause in case you weren't aware, I've purchased bigger and better collections than yours in the past. In fact, I bought 22,000 comics once, for less than cover price, and I'm not talking about just any comics, these were Golden and Silver age beauties, in pristine - "

DS: (Interrupting) "Yeah, Chuck, I know, I know; the Edgar Church collection. I've read the unabridged version of the saga. It's riveting, but at the moment, I'm more concerned with the Dallas Stevens collection. The one YOU have in your possesion. The one you told me would make modern history and get me a solid return on my investment...remember?"

CR: "I'm really sorry, Denton, but something's come up - I'm gonna have to get back to you. What's your phone number?"

DS: "You're kidding about the phone number, right Chuck? I mean, we PRAYED together, and broke bread together ... you're not going to screw me on this - hello? Hello? Chuck?"

I'd love be tapping the line during one of Dallas' no doubt frequent calls to Chuck... assuming Chuck's even taking Dallas' calls at this point smile.gif

DS: "Chuck? It's Dallas."

CR: "Dallas who?"

DS: "Dallas Stevens - you know, the guy whose $2 million in comic books you drove off into the sunset with a few weeks back?"

CR: "Oh, THAT Dallas...right, right... what can I do you for?"

DS: "Well, I just wanted to check in and see how the sales were going so far."

CR: "Listen, Dal - I'm kinda busy at the moment; can I give you a ring back in, oh, I dunno, say 5 days, 3 hours, and maybe 46 minutes? I should have time to chat then."

DS: "Well, okay, but I'm kinda hurtin' for cash at the moment, and thought you might be able to send me my share of the money from the sales so far? Western Union's okay if that's convenient for you."

CR: "Listen, Dilbert - er, Dallas - we haven't actually sold any of those books yet. These are like fine wines, you don't just crack open a case and start hawking 'em on the street corner (laughs condescendingly)."

DS: "Right, of course - I owned these comics for awhile, remember? I know they're valuable. But can you at least give me some sense of how sales are going? What about those books you decided to list on eBay, to generate interest and drive traffic to the Mile High website? Any nibbles on those?"

CR: "Are you telling me how to sell comics now, Delfourth? Are you implying that I might not have a handle on current market conditions? 'Cause in case you weren't aware, I've purchased bigger and better collections than yours in the past. In fact, I bought 22,000 comics once, for less than cover price, and I'm not talking about just any comics, these were Golden and Silver age beauties, in pristine - "

DS: (Interrupting) "Yeah, Chuck, I know, I know; the Edgar Church collection. I've read the unabridged version of the saga. It's riveting, but at the moment, I'm more concerned with the Dallas Stevens collection. The one YOU have in your possesion. The one you told me would make modern history and get me a solid return on my investment...remember?"

CR: "I'm really sorry, Denton, but something's come up - I'm gonna have to get back to you. What's your phone number?"

DS: "You're kidding about the phone number, right Chuck? I mean, we PRAYED together, and broke bread together ... you're not going to screw me on this - hello? Hello? Chuck?"

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif893Funny-thumb.gif