• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did your Mom ever throw away any comics?

59 posts in this topic

Both my mother and grandmother made a great purge of my celler at some point. Probably 90% of my books from1964-1967 were tossed out. When I first re-discovered comics in 1983 I ran down to the basement to check out all of the treasures I owned. Well, I loved most of those books to death, so they don't have much value, except to me.

Also for you people who collect non-sports cards my mother tossed my brothers collection of Civil War News cards!

No, my mom never threw away my comics. I actually gave them away. From 1959 until 1962 I lived in Maryland and was a huge DC collector. I collected almost all the superhero titles with the exception of Lois Lane. I couldn't wait for the next issue of Flash to hit the stands. I didn't know who Carmine Infantino was, but I sure enjoyed his work. I also enjoyed Bizarro World in the old Adventures, Blackhawk, and Superman.I don't remember any of the early Marvels. I was DC through and through.

Anyway, in 1962 , I was twelve years old. My father, who was in the Navy, got us transferred to Lima, Peru, because he wanted his kids to see a piece of the world like he did while flying the Secretary of the Navy around the world. Boy, did I see a piece of the world. Mom said I could take one small suitcase of my model toys and comics with me.. I had close to 200 comics, but I couldn't part with The Flash. The ones I had traveled with me to South America, and I gave the rest to my friend Tony who also collected DC comics. We lived in Peru for five years. When I first arrived and discovered that American comics were approximately 20 cents (4.80 soles) in Lima instead of 12 cents, I stopped buying even The Flash. I wouldn't collect comics again until 1972 when I walked into my first comic store and bought Mystery in Space #16 for 3.00. That summer I went to my first San Diego Con , and I became enthralled once again with those stories from my youth and the new material that was on the stands.

But wait! There's more to the story. Twenty years after I first gave away my comics in 1962 I went back with my wife to the outskirts of that small town of Lexington Park, Maryland to see the old homestead as I had fond memories of growing up there. The house was still there painted in the same colors surrounded by the same wilderness. The people living there were the 3rd owners. I walked over several blocks to the old sandlot baseball field , and it was covered in weeds waist high. The fence was gone. The dug out was gone. Finally, I walked over to Tony's house and knocked on the door. His mom answered the door. I asked if Tony was around, and she said that he had moved five miles away. I got in my rental car and drove to his house. Tony was in the front yard grooming a horse. I got out of the car and he recognized me right away. After an hour of catch-up about the events in our lives over the previous 20 years, I asked him if he still had those old comics. Sure, he said, they're still in the closet in several old boxes. They were just the comics we loved as kids. I simply said take care of them and pass them on to your kids.

This thread brought back that memory of those books. I like to think that his kids are passing them on to their kids, and their mom isn't throwing them away.

My mom never threw out my comics... My parents even moved them when they moved from Massachusetts to New York.

What she DID throw out were all my childhood drawn comic posters because they'd gotten wet during a minor basement flood. frown.gif

I only have some blurry photos of some of them unfortunately...

I think so.

In the late 1970s or so, I took some of my best comics and hid them away. Not quite sure why. In any event, the only one I specifically remember was JLA #60 (or some issue around there that has the Bee/Insect Queen, I recognize it when I see it). I know I hid them in a box with some of my old drawings from kindergarten.

Well years went by and I tried to find those comics but never could. The boxes were gone. My mom had thrown out all the old drawings and no doubt the comics went with them. frown.gif

nope...mom was good...

now my fathers step mom.....not so good....

My father was born in 1930.......he had relatives that worked at the general store so he got all the remainders for reading.........and a few books with full covers when he had the money available which was likely rare being that he was a dairy farm boy in Sequim Washington.

Back when he left for the Korean War in the early 50's, step granny did her deed and threw out or otherwise disposed of hundreds of golden age treasures...I've never pressed him for an actual number. Note that my dad is a collector and still has his coins from when he was a kid, so I have no doubt if not for step granny, I'd have a treasure trove of 1938-1943 comics................It's kinda ironic/sad when I pull out the Gerber guide and he can tell me the stories that go inside of some of those golden age books like early superman, action and batman.....

Kudos to my mom for not being so.......thoughtless. 1415897-Picture324.jpg

1415897-Picture324.jpg.960e726df16a041dd4f531c099b9e09d.jpg

I think so.

In the late 1970s or so, I took some of my best comics and hid them away. Not quite sure why. In any event, the only one I specifically remember was JLA #60 (or some issue around there that has the Bee/Insect Queen, I recognize it when I see it). I know I hid them in a box with some of my old drawings from kindergarten.

Well years went by and I tried to find those comics but never could. The boxes were gone. My mom had thrown out all the old drawings and no doubt the comics went with them. frown.gif

ahhh. the Queen Bee..... those Sid Greene fishnets! Ill bet you hid it under your bed, dintcha???? you dirty boy!

I was some what lucky none of my comics got thrown out....but all my G.I. Joes did.

Same here. My Joes, Thundercats and He-Man figures were all thrown out at the same time. I didn't even have that many to start with.

If you check my Ebay bidding history for the last month, you'll see that I'm spending a fortune getting some of those Joes back in their original packaging, as well as many that I never got as a kid.

I've still got all my joes in a box somewhere....my megos, my 6 million dollar man, evil kneivel, etc.....johnny west stuff....coins, comics, etc etc...

what a packrat I am.....

Who has a flame thrower. yeahok.gif

I've still got all my joes in a box somewhere....my megos, my 6 million dollar man, evil kneivel, etc.....johnny west stuff....coins, comics, etc etc...

what a packrat I am.....

Who has a flame thrower. yeahok.gif

I take it you're talking about the 12" dolls?

The 80's 3 3/4" action figures I grew up with were almost impossible to hold onto because of their size. You either lost them somwhere or they were thrown out.

Nope.

I was the last of four kids, so had enough space to keep the comics. Dad even built special shelves in my closet to accomodate the hoard. My parents even left them alone for about 12 years after I moved out, as I moved through various jobs and locations. I was finally able to move the last of them down to my present comic cavern untarnished and intact!.thumbsup2.gif

When I was about 11-14, Mom did complain often about me "wasting all my money on those things", but I didn't listen. A few times if I left one on a coffee table or something, they would collect some writing or stains - waagh! That taught me!thumbsup2.gif

My parents were in HS during WW II, and Mom always told me about the comics she used to read during that time, and her favorite was Captain America. After I bought my Gerber Photo-Journals, I showed her the Captain America covers, and she would pick out all the ones she had had. She never could tell me what happened to them all, but I suspect her mother (grandma) took care of them sometime after she left the house.foreheadslap.gif

My parents never bought me comics that I can remember. I bought all I had with my own money from allowances or hourly wages. My older brother used to work fire watch for logging operations in the woods, and he would buy tons of comics to keep himself occupied while "on duty" - he would always read them once, then give them to me for keeps! He would also get me comic birthday and Christmas presents when he was away at college, as he had access to a real comic shop (Eugene, Oregon)! The two I remember best and still have are Daredevil 3 and Spider-man 24.cloud9.gif

I used to work for my brother-in-law during the summers of HS, and do landscaping, painting and stuff like that around his house. I remember at one convention (Portland, Oregon 1977ish), I went with a ton of money, and had a lot of damage in mind to do. But......, one dealer had a Daredevil 1 in NM, and also about 2-10 in the same grade. And, another dealer had some "pristine mint" Spider-man's, including 16 (w/ DD!!!), 19 and 21. I bought the DD 1 for $55, and the three Spider-mans, and my convention was done!cloud9.gifyay.gif

But.....,! I went back and slaveshly worked for weeks to earn enough money, then went back to the shop of the Daredevil guys (I can still get a mental image of these goofy guys and where there shop was located - one wore a Gilligan "Skipper" hat) and bought DDs 2, 4, and 5 in NM. Number 5 still is a burn for me today, as after I got home, I discovered this beautiful comic wasn't NM, and had a 1" by 1/2" piece of the front cover replaced, and was semi-professionally inked back in - the bastiches!!!sumo.gif 1977 - My first brush with undisclosed restoration!!!!Christo_pull_hair.gif

My mother called me up a few days after my 32nd birthday to tell me if I didn't pick them up she would throw out all my comic books...

So I went up there and picked up about 200 - 300 comics I had bought as a kid, not a single key or valuable book in the whole bunch, all late Bronze, early Copper books, no X-men, ASM, FF. But loads of Legion, Super-Friends, Batman, Arak, MOKF etc... you get the picture. But still I got the bug again and started buying books again after 16 somewhat years

They did throw out my huge Star Wars collection without ever bothering to tell me, I had most of the original Kenner action figures, the Millennium Falcon, both X and Y wing Fighter, Creature Cantina,AT-AT Walker etc... frown.gif

No, my mom never threw away my comics. I actually gave them away. From 1959 until 1962 I lived in Maryland and was a huge DC collector. I collected almost all the superhero titles with the exception of Lois Lane. I couldn't wait for the next issue of Flash to hit the stands. I didn't know who Carmine Infantino was, but I sure enjoyed his work. I also enjoyed Bizarro World in the old Adventures, Blackhawk, and Superman.I don't remember any of the early Marvels. I was DC through and through.

Anyway, in 1962 , I was twelve years old. My father, who was in the Navy, got us transferred to Lima, Peru, because he wanted his kids to see a piece of the world like he did while flying the Secretary of the Navy around the world. Boy, did I see a piece of the world. Mom said I could take one small suitcase of my model toys and comics with me.. I had close to 200 comics, but I couldn't part with The Flash. The ones I had traveled with me to South America, and I gave the rest to my friend Tony who also collected DC comics. We lived in Peru for five years. When I first arrived and discovered that American comics were approximately 20 cents (4.80 soles) in Lima instead of 12 cents, I stopped buying even The Flash. I wouldn't collect comics again until 1972 when I walked into my first comic store and bought Mystery in Space #16 for 3.00. That summer I went to my first San Diego Con , and I became enthralled once again with those stories from my youth and the new material that was on the stands.

But wait! There's more to the story. Twenty years after I first gave away my comics in 1962 I went back with my wife to the outskirts of that small town of Lexington Park, Maryland to see the old homestead as I had fond memories of growing up there. The house was still there painted in the same colors surrounded by the same wilderness. The people living there were the 3rd owners. I walked over several blocks to the old sandlot baseball field , and it was covered in weeds waist high. The fence was gone. The dug out was gone. Finally, I walked over to Tony's house and knocked on the door. His mom answered the door. I asked if Tony was around, and she said that he had moved five miles away. I got in my rental car and drove to his house. Tony was in the front yard grooming a horse. I got out of the car and he recognized me right away. After an hour of catch-up about the events in our lives over the previous 20 years, I asked him if he still had those old comics. Sure, he said, they're still in the closet in several old boxes. They were just the comics we loved as kids. I simply said take care of them and pass them on to your kids.

This thread brought back that memory of those books. I like to think that his kids are passing them on to their kids, and their mom isn't throwing them away.

Great story. My parents never threw out any of my comics (my dad collected books, so he sort of understood) - in fact my mum kept my collection in her garage for about ten years, when my interest in the hobby was in the doldrums.

If there's one thing that story captured it's the link comics give you with your past.... annoyingly all the comic shops and stalls in North London I used to frequent in the early days of my collecting have closed, and in some cases have been knocked down and replaced with new buildings. Damn progress...