• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did your Mom ever throw away any comics?

59 posts in this topic

I've had one or two items missing when I was a kid, and I realize that many Moms have gone through their kids rooms while the kid was at school or out riding his bike so I was wondering if anyone had a "surprise spring cleaning".

I did hear of one guy that had that happen to him while he was in Vietnam resulting in many Spiderman and FF that got tossed. crazy.gif

Yes, after I moved out, but the majority were badly water damaged. The ones with moderate water damage she actually removed from the bags and dried. I lost another batch in katrina and finally had her bring the rest of them to me on her next visit.

But she always knew they had some worth since she actually paid for a fair number of them when I was a kid. If any one on the boards is from the New Orleans area they might remember the fellow who'd had a stroke (Carl?) that ran a comic shop in metairie. He'd charm her, allowing me to shop for hours with nary a complaint from her to hurry up.

My parents never purposefully threw any of my comics out, but there are two sore spots that I still remind them of.

1) The Great Camping Trip Loss: I brought the vast majority of my comics, and all the good ones, with me on a camping trip when I was 7. All of my ASM's, my Hulk 181 I had just bought there (though I was more ticked with losing the Warlock Hulks), and absolute tons of multi-pack books. I had everything in boxes, ready to be put into the back seat, when I was asked to help load the truck and get going - and yep, I left them sitting on a picnic table.

I discovered this quickly, but as luck would have it, the at the provincial camp ground re-paved the roads that morning, and there was tar and all kind of 893censored-thumb.gif kicking up, and my Dad refused to drive back through that. My parents felt guilty and let me buy out a few bookstores of their multi-packs when we came back, and were very generous with "comic money" at birthdays and Xmas - plus I get to rag them about it from time to time. grin.gif

2) The "You Have Enough Comics Fiasco" - About the same time, my after-school babysitter found out I had an interest in comics, and brought out a few boxes of SA Marvels. There were some very nice books, including a long run of ASM and the holy grail for me, a coverless copy of ASM #1. Mostly low-grade, but the box with newer stuff (I still remember that Daredevil cover with Nighthawk on it right at the top of one stack) were much nicer.

So I read through these for a few weeks, and then the lady asks me if I want them. She was going to donate them to a church flea market, but since I enjoyed them so much, she offered them to me, for free. So here I am, sitting at the front door with a few boxes of comics, waiting for my parents to show up. My mother walks in, hears the spiel about the comics and says "I think you have more than enough comics" and tells the lady I can't take them home. I pleaded, but no dice.

And what's worst of all, my Dad would have easily said yes, and he picked me up 9 times out of 10. And you know, I never liked Silver Age comics after that dark day.

I would build up a small collection and then it would get thrown out. Several times. I would get nitemares as a kid and the doc asked if i read comics...parents said yes, and his prescription was to throw them out.

I remember two specific times that happened.

R.

I would build up a small collection and then it would get thrown out. Several times. I would get nitemares as a kid and the doc asked if i read comics...parents said yes, and his prescription was to throw them out.

I remember two specific times that happened.

If I told my parents I had nightmares and they reacted by throwing my stuff away I don't think I'd have mentioned anything but sweet dreams to them from then on...

Not on purpose.....when I was very young, I had my books "stashed" in several different places around the house. One of the places was in the bottom drawer of an old junk desk that sat in the living room.

Came home from school one day, the desk was gone...along with all of it's contents !!!

"Where are all my books that were in there ?" I yelled. "Gone".

From that point forward, my books very rarely left my bedroom. The only exception was when it was a warm sunny summer afternoon, and I actually used to sit in my back yard and read them for hours at a time. But then immediately, they were returned to the bedroom.......

The good old days.....

thumbsup2.gif

Bump

BTW, cool thread

My mom took most of the digests I had and other misc. comics and proceeded to donate them to the school cafeteria so little kids had something to read over lunchtime when they were not eating. I know the ladies working there would rather have them read than run around. So they asked around. Well, my aunt and godmother was working in the kitchens, knew I had them. She asked my mom who saw her chance to "make room". Of course, as it should be, I was not given the right of refusal in the gift to the cafeteria. The whole thing was good and done before I could even object. frown.gif

Next I should tell you how she threw out my favorite leather jacket when she deemed it was too worn down ... sorry.gif

My parents never purposefully threw any of my comics out, but there are two sore spots that I still remind them of.

1) The Great Camping Trip Loss: I brought the vast majority of my comics, and all the good ones, with me on a camping trip when I was 7. All of my ASM's, my Hulk 181 I had just bought there (though I was more ticked with losing the Warlock Hulks), and absolute tons of multi-pack books. I had everything in boxes, ready to be put into the back seat, when I was asked to help load the truck and get going - and yep, I left them sitting on a picnic table.

I discovered this quickly, but as luck would have it, the at the provincial camp ground re-paved the roads that morning, and there was tar and all kind of 893censored-thumb.gif kicking up, and my Dad refused to drive back through that. My parents felt guilty and let me buy out a few bookstores of their multi-packs when we came back, and were very generous with "comic money" at birthdays and Xmas - plus I get to rag them about it from time to time. grin.gif

This story gets better every time i read it.

Can you tell it still bugs me?

Now that I'm amassing a huge collection of Marvel Essentials, I keep coming across "Lost Camping Trip Books" that I try and re-buy in HG, like a Marvel Premiere 25 that I got from Nikos.

I often wonder if I'd even collect comics if I had not left all those books there. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Can you tell it still bugs me?

Now that I'm amassing a huge collection of Marvel Essentials, I keep coming across "Lost Camping Trip Books" that I try and re-buy in HG, like a Marvel Premiere 25 that I got from Nikos.

I often wonder if I'd even collect comics if I had not left all those books there. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Spite is a POWERFUL thing.

No my parents did not throw out any of my comics that I had collected as a kid.

In fact my Dad rescued them when the hot water heater in the basement started leaking. When I went to College I had packed them all up in 2 boxes and stored them in the basement. I don't even think that the boxes got wet. This was well b4 the days of bags and comic boxes they were all just boxed away naked. I think that I had between 3-400 books back then.

on one of the trips from Nebraska to Los Angeles to visit me after college they put the boxes in the back of the station wagon and brought them out to me.

When I first started recollecting about 6 years later I bagged and boarded everything and put little green dots on the bags that held my original collection so even now I can spot them mixed in with the rest of the 40k collection

Yes, twice. My mom gave all my comics away when we moved from Maine to California in 1972.

I remember having two large boxes full. Probably around 6 to 8 hundred. They were from me buying and my Aunt's collection she gave me.

But, there was no room in the car for comics with herself and four kids plus everything else we owned. I really cried to leave all them behind.

And again when she joined the Baptist church in the late 70's she threw them all out again. She was told they were evil.

It has never stoppped me from buy them though.