• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trade secret?

21 posts in this topic

I'll understand if it's some kind of trade secret, but I was wondering where you guys get the high grade raw comics that I keep seeing in the marketplace? I can scour every LCS in my area and with luck find some overpriced VF/NM issues, but that's about it. Trying to do the same on eBay is worse than playing the lotto. Anyone care to share?

I'll understand if it's some kind of trade secret, but I was wondering where you guys get the high grade raw comics that I keep seeing in the marketplace? I can scour every LCS in my area and with luck find some overpriced VF/NM issues, but that's about it. Trying to do the same on eBay is worse than playing the lotto. Anyone care to share?

There's no secret... the less hands on the comic, the better condition it's probably in. There are any number of reasons why a comic may not have been handled or even put on a comic shelf. (buying a warehouse find, buying a store's backroom inventory, etc.)

If you're a collector, I'd recommend a mail order place in addition to your LCS. You're guaranteed that they probably buy hundreds or thousands of each issue and therefore have a system in place to efficiently get those comics out to you (with minimal handling). I used to use Westfield Comics and they always gave me beautiful copies packed in plastic bags in a great shipping container.

Think he means all the back issues, not the moderns. People are always getting collections or a big deal, I never find them, but yet i don't have a dealer network either.

Think he means all the back issues, not the moderns. People are always getting collections or a big deal, I never find them, but yet i don't have a dealer network either.

Well, from my perspective, when I BOUGHT them twenty years ago.. they were moderns. tongue.gif

Moderns become back issues one month after their cover date. poke2.gif

The answer to this question would probably fill a chapter in somebody's book (ahem King don't forget to add a chapter in your book for this cool.gif ).

One way of finding yourself in front of someone's stash of comics is through word of mouth. This guy knows a guy who dates a girl whose brother has a couple of long boxes. The hit ratio on this scenario has to be pretty low as many more experienced here will tell you.

My only experience was a miss. A guy at work overheard me talking about comics and asked if I would be interested in his collection. I went to look at a collection that was supposed to be a lot of 12 cent DD's and ASM's in great condition. Needless to say I was very excited. What I found were 25 of these in 2.0 Good and several longboxes full of equally bad condition BA stuff. My excitement died quietly and painlessly. sorry.gif

Just keep looking. thumbsup2.gif

Those of you that have found nice OO collections how did you hear about them to begin with? Is it through a network of fellow collectors, or just chance? The marketplace is pretty cool, but sometimes it seems like you have to live their to catch the really good deals....... Christo_pull_hair.gif

Ok, my wife goes to church on a regular basis and happened to mention I collect comics to a kind little old lady. Several years later her son, who purchased just about every comic that came out since 1965 passed away and she needed to sell this collection. She tells my wife, my wife tells me, I give her a call and over the course of about 6 months, I and 3 dealers purchase all the Silver and Bronze Age books in the collection.

Naturally, I had first pick because as a collector I was willing to pay more for them than the dealers were.

I would consider this find....just chance. For me a once-in-a-lifetime chance to instantly build a nice collection as most of the stuff I had up until that point was all modern from 1979 and up. As much as I wanted these back-issues I was not willing to spend the kind of $'s I would have had to spend buying up these books individually over several decades.

Yes, If I told you . . . I'd have to kill you insane.gif

stooges.gif

What he said. cool.gif

Seriously though, post in the marketplace here. When you make your own thread with a definite wantlist you will have the luxury of time, something you might not have on the for sale threads.

Oh and we're all freemasons. Secret handshakes and what not.

Just get the word out that you buy comics. Business cards don't hurt either.

I thought that was last week?