• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hope you all got your Harry Potter today!

38 posts in this topic

Anyone speculating on this tongue.gif I got mine pre-ordered through Amazon - however, I was a bit miffed at the fact that although they got it to me today as promised, they (UPS) left it on the front stoop with the box that has HARRY POTTER:ORDER OF THE PHOENIX all over it with eye catching graphics. Mind you I live in a decent neighborhood, with mostly young families, but let's say I had a visiting punk from thugsville down the road visiting his buddy here in my 'hood, and he walks on by, knowing that this book has already sold out by noon (faster than Hillary's book tongue.gif) on the release date and has already been reordered for another couple million copies...what is it going on eBay for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3527177952&category=26181

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3529956235&category=29188

Are the Potter books for children or can adults enjoy them too? confused.gif

Haven't read them but a lot of my co-workers read them! sumo.gif

Excellent fantasy stuff- perfect for adults as well...especially comic readers - anyone who can suspend disbelief like comic book guys, can buy into Potter. The movies are great as well and entertaining. This is the 5th book out of a 7 book series. The movies are exactly like the books, unlike recent comic movies not staying true to the written medium. I'm sure you can pick up the early books in TPB format for real cheap at the local Borders, or even used books store...

let's say I had a visiting punk from thugsville

Wowzers, Darth! that lingo is bingo, as in dead on! You're the ginchiest, you cool cat!

Now I know what happened to Snapper Carr. 893whatthe.gif

Rick

ROFLMAO! Post of the Day! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I know two kids that have read them (not that I know many kids) and about 150 adults. They definitely appeal to pretty much anyone. Even my girlfriend likes them and she's never read a fantasy novel in her life. The last three, including Order of the Phoenix which I'm 200 pages into, are downright dark.

What are the names of Book 1 , Book 2, etc.....?

Yo, if you can find all your pics on the net, find it yourself! insane.gif

What are the names of Book 1 , Book 2, etc.....?

Yo, if you can find all your pics on the net, find it yourself! insane.gif

Stop trolling me & shaddup you fool! Go slab some 9.8s & fleece the spec sheep you gypsy, tramp & thief........... mad.gif

Yea, greggy....haven't you heard of "cher and cher alike?"

mad.gifboo.gif

Rick

Shaddup Rick! I hate you and will smack you around in San Diego! sumo.gif

Got mine at 12:03am (a little under 24 hrs ago)... and am just shy of finishing it for the second time (but as people in my roast have already mentioned, I read very, very quickly)...

On Monday, I'll be returning to the store to pick up the audiobook on CD... You have not lived until you have heard Jim Dale read Harry Potter... I know that sounds crazy, but I couldn't be more serious. I've listened to book 3 on CD at least 15 times all the way through (the CDs for that volume total about 16hrs). His abilities as a voice actor are without peer, and if you have never liked an audiobook before, you've never heard Jim Dale. He has done all 5 books for Rowling, and does every voice himself. He broke multiple Guinness records for book 4 (including fastest recording and most characters). The man is capable of doing distinct recognizable voices for literally dozens of characters... simply amazing...

At my shop, we do three weeks each year of playing through the books on CD's in the shop instead of background music. I get customers who will spend an extra hour in the store because they don't want to leave in the middle of the story... They go so far as to ask me when during the next week we'll be back to that section of that book so they can come back and hear more...

Jim Dale is THAT good...

Got mine at 12:03am (a little under 24 hrs ago)... and am just shy of finishing it for the second time (but as people in my roast have already mentioned, I read very, very quickly)...

On Monday, I'll be returning to the store to pick up the audiobook on CD... You have not lived until you have heard Jim Dale read Harry Potter... I know that sounds crazy, but I couldn't be more serious. I've listened to book 3 on CD at least 15 times all the way through (the CDs for that volume total about 16hrs). His abilities as a voice actor are without peer, and if you have never liked an audiobook before, you've never heard Jim Dale. He has done all 5 books for Rowling, and does every voice himself. He broke multiple Guinness records for book 4 (including fastest recording and most characters). The man is capable of doing distinct recognizable voices for literally dozens of characters... simply amazing...

At my shop, we do three weeks each year of playing through the books on CD's in the shop instead of background music. I get customers who will spend an extra hour in the store because they don't want to leave in the middle of the story... They go so far as to ask me when during the next week we'll be back to that section of that book so they can come back and hear more...

Jim Dale is THAT good...

You have a shop??? 893whatthe.gif

Jim Dale is THAT good...

Were you getting a hummer while you were reading it? insane.gif

Jim Dale is THAT good...

There's a Guiness record for that? I once taped a book that was 36 90-minute cassettes long (that's 54 hours), with 96 characters, each of which I had to give a distinctive voice. Drove me up the freaking wall.

-- Joanna