• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hope you all got your Harry Potter today!

38 posts in this topic

Got mine at 12:03am (a little under 24 hrs ago)... and am just shy of finishing it for the second time (but as people in my roast have already mentioned, I read very, very quickly)...

On Monday, I'll be returning to the store to pick up the audiobook on CD... You have not lived until you have heard Jim Dale read Harry Potter... I know that sounds crazy, but I couldn't be more serious. I've listened to book 3 on CD at least 15 times all the way through (the CDs for that volume total about 16hrs). His abilities as a voice actor are without peer, and if you have never liked an audiobook before, you've never heard Jim Dale. He has done all 5 books for Rowling, and does every voice himself. He broke multiple Guinness records for book 4 (including fastest recording and most characters). The man is capable of doing distinct recognizable voices for literally dozens of characters... simply amazing...

At my shop, we do three weeks each year of playing through the books on CD's in the shop instead of background music. I get customers who will spend an extra hour in the store because they don't want to leave in the middle of the story... They go so far as to ask me when during the next week we'll be back to that section of that book so they can come back and hear more...

Jim Dale is THAT good...

There's a Guiness record for that? I once taped a book that was 36 90-minute cassettes long (that's 54 hours), with 96 characters, each of which I had to give a distinctive voice. Drove me up the freaking wall.

-- Joanna

Show off! mad.gif

Got mine at 12:03am (a little under 24 hrs ago)... and am just shy of finishing it for the second time (but as people in my roast have already mentioned, I read very, very quickly)...

On Monday, I'll be returning to the store to pick up the audiobook on CD... You have not lived until you have heard Jim Dale read Harry Potter... I know that sounds crazy, but I couldn't be more serious. I've listened to book 3 on CD at least 15 times all the way through (the CDs for that volume total about 16hrs). His abilities as a voice actor are without peer, and if you have never liked an audiobook before, you've never heard Jim Dale. He has done all 5 books for Rowling, and does every voice himself. He broke multiple Guinness records for book 4 (including fastest recording and most characters). The man is capable of doing distinct recognizable voices for literally dozens of characters... simply amazing...

At my shop, we do three weeks each year of playing through the books on CD's in the shop instead of background music. I get customers who will spend an extra hour in the store because they don't want to leave in the middle of the story... They go so far as to ask me when during the next week we'll be back to that section of that book so they can come back and hear more...

Jim Dale is THAT good...

There's a Guiness record for that? I once taped a book that was 36 90-minute cassettes long (that's 54 hours), with 96 characters, each of which I had to give a distinctive voice. Drove me up the freaking wall.

-- Joanna

I did something similar to that once, but instead of driving, I simply jumped really high and grabbed onto a ledge and pulled myself up the rest of the way. But driving has its merits too, I'm sure.

Jim Dale is THAT good...

-- Joanna

Yep... not sure how the "fastest recording" is measured... but he did over 200 distinct characters for Goblet of Fire...

Course I told you that already... if you ever read your PM's... tongue.gif

Probably had the same reaction most people do... "Oh look, a PM from 'House... 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif... Geez 'House... Shut the hell up already.... 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif... aw forget it... I'll just reply with 'That's what Bug said too'... I don't wanna have to read all this... 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif"

Jim Dale is THAT good...

-- Joanna

Yep... not sure how the "fastest recording" is measured... but he did over 200 distinct characters for Goblet of Fire...

Probably had the same reaction most people do... "Oh look, a PM from 'House... 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif... Geez 'House... Shut the hell up already.... 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif... aw forget it... I'll just reply with 'That's what Bug said too'... I don't wanna have to read all this... 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif"

You never PM me, you filthy-bottomed [!@#%^&^].

And it's "Betty." "Betty," you son of a peeg.

I was going to get the book, but then I saw all the losers that were standing in line for it on the Late Shows..and decided I didn't want to be associated with those ppl...so I'm buying it next weekend or something.. tongue.gif

Brian

Yea, greggy....haven't you heard of "cher and cher alike?"

mad.gifboo.gif

Rick

Shaddup Rick! I hate you and will smack you around in San Diego! sumo.gif

Aw c'mon greggy, give me a hug....

makepoint.gifstooges.gifflamed.gif

There, now don'cha feel better, poopers!

Rick

OK....I''ll hug you in San Diego in order to distract you from getting your holy grail! tongue.gif

I am shocked I received my books today. I pre-ordered the deluxe and regular version when they first e-mailed people well over a month ago (I think it was at least 2 months ago) that if you ordered by a certain date they were guaranteeing delivery on the day it was released. I went the free shipping route, so I though I would not get my books today, but nope...received them both this afternoon!

The deluxe version is the one to speculate on ebay with, as it sold out on amazon.com on Friday, and now ships in 5-6 days. Amazon had it for 42...but I bet if someone put up a deluxe version this weekend with a Fixed Price auction BIN of 60-75 dollars...they would get a buyer (and said buyer would probably even pay for Priority Mail shipping, even though the book is freakin huge). Of course, I could be wrong.

Hmm...just noticed a newbie trying to sell the deluxe for $75 (problem is they have 0 feedback, no picture, and are super-greedy by not making the 75 a BIN, doubt someone will buy).

I have a 979 feedback profile, so if someone like me tried to sell the deluxe at a fixed price...it might work (the key is to make it easy for the buyer to close the auction fast, and be able to pay for and receive the book fast...so it is in their hands before amazon, and other stores on-line and off, receive their next shipments).

Of course, I bought the deluxe version as a gift for my younger sister (well, younger than me...she is an adult who is 28 years old), and would not bother to sell the copy I have. It helps that I only paid $35 for the regular and deluxe version (between amazon's discount and the gift certificate I used...I got both books for an incredible price).

I do not have time to read the book now, so I am going to have to avoid the spoilers that are bound to pop up all over the net and in print.

Jim Dale is THAT good...

-- Joanna

Hey House do you answer PM's or only ones that matter.... confused.gif

Jim Dale is THAT good...

-- Joanna

He answers all my PMs....eventually! 893frustrated.gif

Jim Dale is THAT good...

-- Joanna

Yep.

Jim Dale is THAT good...

-- Joanna

He answers all my PMs....eventually! 893frustrated.gif

How long is eventually?? Is it once He builds another Brick and Mortar Store? 893whatthe.gif

What are the names of Book 1, Book 2, etc.....?

From one to five they are:

Harry Potter and...

...The Sorcerers Stone

...The Chamber of Secrets

...The Prisoner of Azkaban

...The Goblet of Fire

...The Order of The Phoenix

Jim Dale is THAT good...

My wife and son hung around at Borders until 12:30 in the morning to get our book and audio CD's. (My daughter pooped out and I had to take her home early.)

I HIGHLY recommend the audio books. Jim Dale is fantastic as a reader. He brings the stories and characters to life. We bought the tapes of the first 4 books as they came out. We listen to them on long car trips. On every single trip where we didn't finish a book, as soon as we got back from our trip we all curled up in the front room and listened to the rest of the book. It is that riveting.

We bought the CDs of this book (23 CDs!!!!) We are up to CD #4 and still going strong.

My son's Boy Scout troop left just a few hours ago for summer camp. He took the book with him. I saw at least a half dozen other scouts who had the book stashed in their packs. grin.gif