• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Signature Series ...

46 posts in this topic

Hello,

Regarding CGC Signature Series, I've noticed some books that are noted" signed on first page with pen ",,,or one might have fat, sharpie, as obtrusive as it gets signature on the cover,....yet there it is ! yellow label.

How do collectors and dealers feel about that ?

For Example, a book signed on the front page by Wrightson...?

as oppose to a signature with a fat marker by Ditko ?

Or even a late Modern book Signed by Stan Lee, that he didn't even write ?

any thoughts ?

also, what about prices ?

Is there system for like a 9.4 cgc signature series siver-age item, that would get more or less money than a normal blue label ?

PS What about these markers that are used, that are not even archival ?

Ok,

1) do signature collectors, as whole, prefer a vintage book signed on the cover, or on the first page, esp in high grade ?

2 ) also, for example a Neil Adams 9.4 1970's book, if unsigned and cgc , has a fair market value of $300 , what would a cgc SS 9.4 signed by adams go for ? is there a multiple for signatures like that ?

Thank you.

1) it's your preference, i would never buy or ask for a interior sig unless forced by creator and then i'll sell it right away.

2) Depends on market, but i think a signed book is more valuable, but personally I don't get expensive books done as I think they should stay blue labeled or raw, i will get a lower grade key signed.

but didn't you submit the GIJOE 21 for stan to sign

Not to sign... gossip.gif

wouldn't a nuff said on the cover followed by a yellow label saying stan lee signed the book constitute a cover signature?

I usually like having some of my favorite covers signed by the artist so when it comes to getting books signed I am very specific about what book I have an artist sign. As far as signing on the first page I kind of like to see a signature but like Beyonder said if they only worked on the inside of the book that's probably where it belongs. I had Starlin and Perez sign an Infinity Gauntlet 1 and as far as I know both signatures are on the cover even though some may say Starlin belongs on the interior since he's the writer. I figured he createed Thanos who is featured right on th cover and he at least worked on the book so why not have it where I can see it.

If I'm getting a vintage book signed I don't really shoot for high grade. It usually depends on price and age. 1960's and 1970's I usually shoot anywhere from 6.0-9.0. I will have the covers signed on older books because I would rather see the signature. Golden age books I will take anywhere from .5-5.0 again depending on the book's price.

As for prices I haven't bought anything I haven't submitted but I will definitely pay a premium if someone decides to sell a Bolland Killing Joke. hi.gif

I had sevra; books signed by various folk, including Satn "the amn" but only on the inside cover, because i feel a true 9.4 with a fat sharpie marker, right on the cover, really hinders the appearance, and probably should be brought down to a 6.0, or a qualitfied.

lets be honest, it just looks dman ugly !

not to mention, non archival, most of the time.

so, for example if Ditko, did the cover and interior, I'd rather have him sign the interior.

since an owners signature inside a books seems to be acceptable.

I have no idea what the market is like though.

thanks for your feedback, any addtional ones with more substance would be welcome.

also, i have some paper items that were signed by a shapie 20 years ago that already have a like a yellow shadow around the signature, ( acidic stain ?)

I had sevra; books signed by various folk, including Satn "the amn" but only on the inside cover, because i feel a true 9.4 with a fat sharpie marker, right on the cover, really hinders the appearance, and probably should be brought down to a 6.0, or a qualitfied.

so, for example if Ditko, did the cover and interior, I'd rather have him sign the interior.

thanks for your feedback, any addtional ones with more substance would be welcome.

also, i have some paper items that were signed by a shapie 20 years ago that already have a like a yellow shadow around the signature, ( acidic stain ?)

to each his own, i and 95% of the collectors for SS prefer the cover confused-smiley-013.gif

Like Pirate said, to each his own. That really is the great thing about signature series. You can have the book signed anywhere you want and CGC will treat it the same.

Like Pirate said, to each his own. That really is the great thing about signature series. You can have the book signed anywhere you want and CGC will treat it the same.

1373274-Aquaman_49_8.5SSsm.jpg

artists on the cover, writers on page one sumo.gif

Why are so many people hell bent on having sigs that they can't see, might as well have a blue label.

Bill "Hey Pete come look at my cool autograph"

Pete" Cool let me see it"

Pete "I don't see anything on it"

Bill "Well the autograph's on the first page, see it says so on the pretty yellow label"

Pete " screwy.gif "

Why are so many people hell bent on having sigs that they can't see, might as well have a blue label.

Bill "Hey Pete come look at my cool autograph"

Pete" Cool let me see it"

Pete "I don't see anything on it"

Bill "Well the autograph's on the first page, see it says so on the pretty yellow label"

Pete " screwy.gif "

it's not enough to know the sig's there? you take your books out and look at them often, gazing lovingly at the marker across the cover of your books?

i have a trio of Simonson-signed Thors I haven't looked at in twenty years. but knowing they're there is enough