• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who will play Iron Man.....

35 posts in this topic

"ROBERT DOWNEY JR. IS TONY STARK"

Well, he's got the raging alcoholic part down pat. blush.gif

In all seriousness, this is a horrible choice and shows how far non-Spidey/X-Men superhero movies have fallen. Downey is almost off the HW radar, the drugs and other illicit activities have really taken a toll on his looks, and he's about as masculine as Pee Wee Herman.

JC, I kind of liked your idea of having Jim Caviesel (sp.) play the role. I think he would've done a good job.

In all seriousness, this is a horrible choice and shows how far non-Spidey/X-Men superhero movies have fallen. Downey is almost off the HW radar, the drugs and other illicit activities have really taken a toll on his looks, and he's about as masculine as Pee Wee Herman.

Lucky that good old Schwarzenegger quit hollywood, otherwise he would have gotten the job.... and we all remember Mr. Freeze.... boo.gif

JC, I kind of liked your idea of having Jim Caviesel (sp.) play the role. I think he would've done a good job.

Problem is he's even more off the HW radar.

Cool, I can play Iron Man!!!! yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Chicago Tribune

September 2, 2001 Sunday

CHICAGOLAND FINAL EDITION

SECTION: PERSPECTIVE; ZONE: C; Sunday watch.; Pg. 3

LENGTH: 1296 words

HEADLINE: Murder, racism hot topics in capital

BYLINE: James Warren

DATELINE: WASHINGTON

BODY:

When I heard the well-dressed gent with a clipped British accent refer to an "oily bed-hopper," I assumed he had U.S. Rep. Gary Condit in mind.

This was, after all, the nation's capital, where we tend to be a tad provincial, be it in ranking the importance of various issues or simply cataloguing philandering by the low-rent souls in our immediate proximity.

But, no, I was mistaken. As official Washington dozed toward the end of its long summer holiday, and our wood-chopping president headed back to a repainted Oval Office, the reference was to another Don Juan who was once a tabloid fixture worldwide.

The reference came from the mouth of John Macnamara, who might be played in the movies by the late Pat O'Brien (the guy who portrayed Knute Rockne, not the one who hosts "Access Hollywood"). Macnamara, formerly of Scotland Yard, was simply repeating a comment alleged to have been made by Prince Philip, the paterfamilias of England's most dysfunctional family, about Dodi Fayed, a playboy once in the middle of our celebrity radar screens.

Macnamara was part of a press conference that was depressingly well-attended last week by a disparate array of oddballs at the National Press Club, a favorite venue for groups pressing matters big and small, with the high-minded and the crackpot often in adjoining rooms at dueling gatherings.

At some point, Macnamara, who spent many years at Scotland Yard before becoming security chief for Dodi's wealthy father, Mohamed Al Fayed, indicated that Philip had called Dodi an "oily bed-hopper."

This was germane because the topic here was conspiracy laced with racism: the deaths of Princess Diana and Dodi four years ago.

Washington offers a lawyer to press virtually any claim. In this case, it's young Mark Zaid, whose bookish look suggests the bespectacled attorney played by Robert Downey Jr. on "Ally McBeal."

But this was the real world in which Zaid represents Mohamed Al Fayed, who to his core apparently believes that dark forces are hiding the truth of the accident that doomed his son, Diana and their driver.

So Zaid and Macnamara were front and center at a purported "news" conference to unveil developments in the crash. Luckily, they found themselves in less-than-fervent competition with various events playing out around town, at least given the Washington media's definition of news.

There was the Institute of Medicine's division of behavioral and social sciences and education hosting a meeting of the Committee to Improve Research Information and Data.

There was the Commonwealth Fund and George Washington University's briefing on their report, "Diagnosing Disparities in Health Insurance for Women: A Prescription for Change."

And there was a news conference by the Consumer Federation of America on electricity prices; the annual meeting of the Society of American Archivists; the AFL-CIO passing out a survey of workers' views of their employers; the Center for Policy Analysis on Palestine symposium on "What America Refuses to Hear: Zionism, Racism and the Durban Controversy"; and the American Health Care Association opining on states underfunding seniors' nursing home care.

At the Princess Di affair, the gracious Zaid welcomed one and all several times and began by showing a videotape of his client, Dodi's daddy, because he could not make it to this august assemblage of newsies.

For a guy who owns Harrods, the dad seemed to have gone Kmart with his video, which looked like those hostage tapes we used to see during the U.S. Embassy takeover in Tehran. The colors were rather bleached out, and the drapes flush against the back of his chair looked like those in a Courtyard Marriott.

He started by mentioning a lawsuit he's filed "to gain access to information in the possession of the United States government," all of which he believes could be relevant to his search for the truth.

"The CIA, FBI and NSA [National Security Agency] have done nothing to assist my efforts" regarding "collaboration between U.S. intelligence services and the British Secret Service," he said.

Looking straight at the camera, he was attired in an impeccable gray, patterned suit and one of those inimitably British blue-and-white polka dot shirts with a white collar. Together, they can make you look Bozo the Clown dressed by Hart Shaffner & Marx.

Al Fayed repeated his claim that his son and Diana (and the driver, Henri Paul) were victims of a murder conspiracy. He contended that she was pregnant and that her quick embalming somehow covered that up.

In addition, he said the assertions that Paul was drunk were untrue and that his blood sample was tampered with. Further, he claimed that Paul was once a paid British intelligence agent involved in plotting to kill the former Yugoslav leader Slobodan Milosevic, and that a member of the paparazzi who ran after Diana and Dodi was murdered.

And Al Fayed appeared sober and impassioned, saying, "Once again I see the support of the American people to bring pressure . . . to release the documents that will reveal the truth about the tragedy. I am in no doubt that the death was the result of a murder with racism at the core." He believes the royal family would have nothing to do with an heir to the throne having a Muslim as a stepfather.

Al Fayed concluded with a red, white and blue fervor, laced with the images of beach volleyball, svelte lifeguards and $2.5 million, two-bedroom condos.

"Diana loved America and its people," he said. "She planned to stay with Dodi in Malibu."

I briefly daydreamed, about Al Fayed, the proud father at the wedding, announcing that he'd build a mini-Harrods for the couple in Malibu, with Bill Clinton himself signed to show at the ribbon-cutting for only $150,000!

But it was back to that sad night in Paris, with attorney Zaid using an aerial photo of the city to remind all of the route taken from the Ritz Hotel by Diana's and Dodi's car.

But there was another video, this of a former British intelligence agent named Richard John Charles Tomlinson. Imagine a slightly fuller-faced Richard Gere, at least one who got booted out of his job after what Zaid assured were "some disagreements with the agency."

The purpose of spotlighting him was the claim that there had been a plan to create a car accident involving Milosevic once upon a time. According to Tomlinson, it was to involve shining some very bright light and blinding the driver of Milosevic's car while inside a tunnel.

The memory of such plotting, Tomlinson said, surfaced after the Diana tragedy. "It made me think straight away that maybe it wasn't an accident."

A live Zaid then suggested that one or more of the frenetic photographers on the scene in Paris that evening may have worked for British intelligence. This segued into mention of a photographer who was always chasing Diana but who was found dead last year in a remote area of southern France, burned to a crisp in an automobile.

His demise is seen by the Al Fayed forces as suspicious because he owned a white Fiat Uno, the same make as one believed to have hit Diana's Mercedes in the tunnel that evening.

Then there was the assertion that there were many deaths in Paris that night and the morgue was a hotbed of action. The driver's blood sample could easily have been switched, or misplaced, or so goes the theory.

The news conference stumbled to a close with questions from several fringe journalists, including a bedraggled lady from a supposed peace group who wondered if "munitions manufacturers wanted her [Diana] out of the picture" because of her work to ban land mines.

That notion, said Macnamara, the Scotland Yard alum, was even too much for him to buy.

Which leaves only one alternative.

It may bring little solace, but the Muslim-bashing, oily bed-hopper theory still prevails in the House of Al Fayed.

Mark....I think you'e getting too big for these boards.....Arch needs to come up with a Avatar title more befitting your stature:

Something like "Four Color Loving Attorney of the Gods"

I wonder how you have even 5 minutes to post considering some of the clients you represent. confused-smiley-013.gif

And I'm sure you never post during a billable hour, right? devil.giftongue.gif

Mark....I think you'e getting too big for these boards.....Arch needs to come up with a Avatar title more befitting your stature:

I wonder how you have even 5 minutes to post considering some of the clients you represent. confused-smiley-013.gif

Sad to say I would probably make more money if I could bill someone for all the darn time I spend posting on or reading these boards than billing to actual clients!!! screwy.gifheadbang.gif

Sad to say I would probably make more money if I could bill someone for all the darn time I spend posting on or reading these boards than billing to actual clients!!! screwy.gifheadbang.gif

Money isn't everything. tongue.gif

Money isn't everything. tongue.gif

Which is why I do what I do. thumbsup2.gif

I agree with JC here 893whatthe.gif

I think Jim Caviesel would have been great in this role. Downey, Jr. however tonofbricks.gif Not my idea of a Super-Hero frown.gif

I know who the director is, so imma give this movie a chance.

Go Foggy Go!!

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Yeah... I definitely have more concern about the director than the the actor.

And since I've never been a big Iron Man fan, Downey Jr. seems about right... although maybe a bit short?