• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

double action comics #1
3 3

153 posts in this topic

what do you think would be on the cover of double action comics #1

since double action comics #2 was adventure comics #37 what would your guess or assumption would be for double action comics #1 perhaps new adventure 26 or maybe a early more fun what1

This book does not exist. Gary Calibono has been in DC's vaults and said there wasn't a copy there. He also dicovered the windy city collection and there wasn't one there. There wasn't a copy in the mile high collection or the larson, Not in the san fransisco collection ( though bob beerbomb is on these boards you might ask him if it was in the collection) There aparrently wasn't one in the D collection and it had books that are impossible to find. Steve Geppi didn't have one at the museum. Ian Lavine couldn't find one in his hunt to make a complete DC collection. A real copy does not exist. If heritage and christies couldn't turn one up with all their auctions it does not exist. If geppi doesn't have one it does not exist. If CGC hasn't graded one it does not exist. If over street doesn't have one it does not exist. This book does not exist. It quite possibly never existed. Certain books started as number 2. The previous title could have been anything.

Ok. We seem to have several threads going with the same question being asked. I have already posted the text in:

EXTREME EXTREME - Gerber 11s - Nonexistent? and also

Double Action Comics.

Please note that I wrote the text below on Friday September 29th.

In regard to Double Action Comics #1 ashcan, I just spoke to Bob this morning and asked him about the existence of the book. He stands by the information in the Guide in regards to this ashcan.

I also spoke to noted collector and ashcan expert Gary Colabuono who told me that the image of the Double Action Comics #1 cover that is being circulated is very questionable and he believes it is something that was produced recently, and is not a vintage piece. He believes that it is a good natured hoax at best.

Regards,

Tom

Tom, we saw your post, but it doesn't answer the question. Can you ask Bob what the cover of the book looks like (as well as any other details he may be willing to provide) so we have an idea? There is no reason to keep this a secret until everyone who knows dies of old age.

Your post also takes for granted that its an ashcan which is a question in everyone's mind. Is it an ashcan or was it a regular book? Could you ask Bob that also?

thanks

This book does not exist. Gary Calibono has been in DC's vaults and said there wasn't a copy there. He also dicovered the windy city collection and there wasn't one there. There wasn't a copy in the mile high collection or the larson, Not in the san fransisco collection ( though bob beerbomb is on these boards you might ask him if it was in the collection) There aparrently wasn't one in the D collection and it had books that are impossible to find. Steve Geppi didn't have one at the museum. Ian Lavine couldn't find one in his hunt to make a complete DC collection. A real copy does not exist. If heritage and christies couldn't turn one up with all their auctions it does not exist. If geppi doesn't have one it does not exist. If CGC hasn't graded one it does not exist. If over street doesn't have one it does not exist. This book does not exist. It quite possibly never existed. Certain books started as number 2. The previous title could have been anything.

The rationale is understandable, but ashcans would not be found in any of the pedigree collections mentioned above. However, I cannot explain why #1 appears to be missing, assuming it ever existed.

Tom, we saw your post, but it doesn't answer the question. Can you ask Bob what the cover of the book looks like (as well as any other details he may be willing to provide) so we have an idea? There is no reason to keep this a secret until everyone who knows dies of old age.

Peter is right Tom. I posted in response to your post above in some other thread as well. I don't believe there is any dispute that the mock-up of #1 is just that, a mock-up.

However, Overstreet seems to have been the only one who confirm the existence of #1. Even more than that I noted that there was clearly a second copy allegedly discovered as noted in the OPG. Yet no one, dealer or collector alike, appears able to confirm this other than Bob. This is like the JFK assassination. I have a great deal of difficulty believing none of the major Ga collectors (many of whom are on these boards) and dealers can verify the existence of this book, either by having seen it personally or at least indicating they knew the person who owned it.

We need more info.

As an aside, was Ian including ashcans in his quest for all DC comics?

re ashcans

I believe that's correct, and I don't believe that they were ever released to the public until such time as they came out of the publisher's files, etc. I think moondog was saying that most of the dc ones came from sol harrison (but I have no first hand knowledge and might be wrong about that).

But again, the idea that DA1 is an ashcan is a big leap of faith in my opinion. Why would you have an ashcan #1 and then a regular #2? That doesn't happen. Think about every other DC ashcan #1. There's an ashcan #1, and then the first regular issue is also titled #1 because its #1 to the public.

So personally I would think DA#1, if it does indeed exist, is a regular comic NOT an ashcan.. juggle.gif

re ashcans

I believe that's correct, and I don't believe that they were ever released to the public until such time as they came out of the publisher's files, etc. I think moondog was saying that most of the dc ones came from sol harrison (but I have no first hand knowledge and might be wrong about that).

But again, the idea that DA1 is an ashcan is a big leap of faith in my opinion. Why would you have an ashcan #1 and then a regular #2? That doesn't happen. Think about every other DC ashcan #1. There's an ashcan #1, and then the first regular issue is also titled #1 because its #1 to the public.

So personally I would think DA#1, if it does indeed exist, is a regular comic NOT an ashcan.. juggle.gif

thats what I menat by being "released" as in by special relationships with insiders like Sol. I was trying to explain why the major GA collections did not have them nor COULD have had them since they came out much later on as curiousities of the publishing business process, and not as products for sale.

As for #1 and #2, depending on what exact purpose they served (postal regs, copyright security, etc) couldt a #2 serve as wellas a #1 on the cover? Or perhaps, #1 was one title and #2 a different title? Comic books changed titles but kept the numbering all the time back then when #1s didnt automatically sell like they do now. Maybe Ashcans ooperated similarly in their numbering.

Or, in this case, all the #1s were just either dispersed and destroyed or lost over the years. They were worthless oddities once their job was done, after all, werent they?

Where were they sent for copyright reg purposes anyway? Wouldt THAT place be the SOURCE for ALL of them?? A government office? Or even the attorneys files?

one more question: If all you needed to prove was a printed piece using a particular title etc.....Why would there NEED to BE a #2 after a #1???? You didnt need to show consecutive issues with the same title did you?

Im guessing there was no #1.

so what did bob overstreet say was on the cover of double action comics #1 and what interior does it have.

ashcan/comics

1423741-doubleactioncomics1%231.jpg

i seem to imagine it having this cover since this book seems to be the rarest dc so why not the rarest ever double action comics #1 or perhaps with action comics #8 with double action logo or even adventure comics #34 with double action comics logo. What do you guys on the boards think.

589a915d2f08f_1423741-doubleactioncomics11.jpg.fa376048cd1695178feb1549d464db25.jpg

Edited by Ashcan/Comics