• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sigh...I really need a new sniping software..

28 posts in this topic

So I lost this cause I had to leave 10 min before the end of the auction.. Sometimes I really wish eBay would extend the time of the auction a little bit more when bids occur in the last minute, personally I think prices would go up a whole lot more. But on the flip side, it'd be harder to snipe good deals frown.gif

Brian

I was looking at that book also, but noticed it had Cream to Off-White pages which is probably why it sold below what I would have expected.

On the other hand, a board member (I believe) just got a ASM #13 in VF/NM for a very good price. I must have placed my bid a few seconds after the auction ended. Seems like prices are starting to slip on some of these more expensive (yet key) books. Everyone saving up for Heritage's Signature Auction and San Diego?

It's because of SD, I'm sure.. at least for the pricier books.

I personally don't believe cream to off-white affects prices at all unless you can see some tanning on the frame. On this one you couldn't so IMO bidding was just slow cause everyone's waiting for Heritage's enormous ASM run..

Brian

Well...Their scans are not very good either. All are very "yellowed" .

I do not undertstand why sellers do not invest into good images...weird?

Decent price on the 9.0 , but it is a pretty common ASM.

I missed that 26 and 27 as well.....Two nice looking books!

So I can relate Brian.

Most Spidey's are fairly common except for the first four issues it seems. It appears that every good dealer (is that an oxymoron?) has many high grade copies after number four.

I didn't bid on the #9 because of the cream pages. Yes, if it was one of the first four issues, I might not have cared but on that issue, it mattered to me. But, honestly, it only matters to me because I'm afraid if I ever sell it, it will matter to others also.

Question:

Does Cream to Off-White pages affect you bidding on a book and the price you bid?

I don't know that it's all that common. I've been watching for a 9.2 or 9.0 to replace my off one since January and haven't seen one yet. A couple 9.4's on dealers websites.. I dunno maybe I'm missing the book someplace?

I wanted the 26/27 lot, but I had them pegged at about 850/700 respectively.. So my max bid was 1,550 but the price was already higher when it came time to bid.

In answer to Sfilosa, not at all.. unless there's the tan "frame".. If people are passing on cream to off-white books without these tan frames or being able to see any at all.. they're passing up for what is IMO not a good reason.. cause you can't see the pages.

Brian

Does Cream to Off-White pages affect you bidding on a book and the price you bid?

Yes.

If buying High grade CGC books it has to affect your thinking, as market price is most often lower. Cream pages are a symptom of less than perfect storage to a certain degree, so the 'grade' is not as attractive as OW and above.

The difference may be slight, but hey, we are talking about ultra-picky high grade collectors here.

Cream pages only bother me because it means that the book has absorbed quite a bit of moisture, and or acids, and is simply closer to deterioration.

I will not buy a book with Cr-OW, unless there isn't much choice for that book in question. Meaning, if it is a Major, high $$$ key that dosen't show up often and there are not many HG copies available, with a unlikey prospect of many more to come. Books like this include ASM #2-5(especially #3), TOS #39-#41, FF #1-13, etc....but something like ASM #9 I would pass on because it wouldn't be too hard to find another 9.0+ copy with better pages.(plus I already have a 9.2)

So I lost this cause I had to leave 10 min before the end of the auction.. Sometimes I really wish eBay would extend the time of the auction a little bit more when bids occur in the last minute, personally I think prices would go up a whole lot more. But on the flip side, it'd be harder to snipe good deals frown.gif

Brian

Umm - hate to tell you this, but you didn't lose because you left early or whatever. You lost because you did not bid enough. I was watching to see what the price would be - and was surprised it was that low- and you were high bid and then you got beat by someone that bid more money. If you are sniping, you wait until the end to bid but you were high bidder going into the last 10 minutes.

Clobberin, this might be tough for you.. but actually READ what I wrote.. I said I couldn't GET INTO the sniping software server.. thus I had to place a bid with 10 minutes left.. and I'm not gonna just throw out a 2k bid in hopes that someone doesn't just thrill bid me up in the last 10 minutes (a la Jgreen).

Brian

No it's not tough at all. I just get tired of relentless bs stories by guys like you and a few others around here that are so annoying. If you got such big money, then throw it around like you know what you are talking about and quit telling us about it. Yeah - I am bidding on this or that but guess what? You must have been frozen out of that X-men 4 9.2 as it ended at the ridiculously low price of $1500 or so. I paid about $2200 for one last year and about $4000 for the 9.4 that I also have. It is hard to win key high grade books for really bargain prices. As for the Spidey 9 , it went way low I think - I already have 2 high grade cgc copies so I didn't bid but it was tempting.

Congratulations to you. Unfortunately, I can't/won't just throw my money away on the off-chance that I can win the book.. had I been able to get into my sniping service I could've put the 1,400 bid I wanted to place on it. However, I couldn't. End of story. You can toss away your money on whatever you want for the highest price attainable. I'd rather be more prudent with what I have and purchase books for a good price, if possible.

Wasn't frozen out of the X-men 2.. do you see me regularly buying X-men comics? Seriously, if you're going to follow my bidding at least understand what I'm buying. I don't buy X-men books, if I could've won that at my 1,250 dollar bid.. great, I didn't oh well.. one less non-ASM book.

Brian

Thanks to everybody on their response to the Cream/Offwhite pages. Other than Murph0, it seems to bother everyone else. Like I said, it only really bothers me because I believe it bothers others. Since I collect Golden Age also, I'm pretty use to accepting cream (and even the dread tan pages) to get a nice cover copy.

Secondly:

Amost all the high grade key books went low (in my opinion) last night. Not dramatically low but at least 10% below the market value at this time.

The question is: Will this continue through Heritage's Auction and San Diego? And if so, this is a good time to buy books, unless you believe that everyone will be tapped out after SD and the deals will get even better. Any opinions?

I think right now is a good time to buy the higher priced books that you can find on eBay.. if you can find them. Other than Hulk 1, I guess. After Heritage is over, who knows.. it could go either way.. there's a lot of material in this auction so there's a good chance stuff could slow down some more..

Btw, the cream pages ONLY bother me if there's a tannish frame around the cover or back. So you should qualify that I "don't mind" C to OW. smile.gif

Brian