• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does the "S" on Jugheads shirt stand for...

45 posts in this topic

Archie comics are my specialty.... From Golden Age to Silver... I love em and I am always buying them..... I have never known what the S on Juggies shirt means... Can anyone of you Hepcats shed some light on this mystery for me????

Thanks,

the HepKitty

I read once it was a nod of recognition to Louis Silberkleit from John Goldwater ; they, with Maurice Coyne, were the founders and partners in MLJ Magazines ( ala Pep comics etc.) I am not sure whether there is any validity to that though.

Tom

This question has been just like when a song plays over and over in your head 893frustrated.gif...for some reason I keep thinking that the "S" on juggy's shirt has something to do with Sabrina....perhaps I read it when I was young...er.... smile.gif

But in reality....I have no idea what it stands for.... crazy.gif

Given that the MLJ "Sabrina" appeared 25 years after Juggy started wearing the shirt, I'm guessing it's unrelated smile.gif

Besides, Jughead HATES girls - the "S" has to stand for "Sandwiches" or something... 27_laughing.gif

Given that the MLJ "Sabrina" appeared 25 years after Juggy started wearing the shirt, I'm guessing it's unrelated smile.gif

Besides, Jughead HATES girls - the "S" has to stand for "Sandwiches" or something... 27_laughing.gif

Yup...I was just going to post that the time frame is too out-of-whack for the Sabrina theory to hold true... crazy.gif

Yup...I was just going to post that the time frame is too out-of-whack for the Sabrina theory to hold true... crazy.gif

Actually, it stands for "Syphillus." It was designed in the same spirit that gave us Hester Prynne's scarlet "A."

Actually, it stands for "Syphillus." It was designed in the same spirit that gave us Hester Prynne's scarlet "A."

That explains everything, Major! lmao ... no wonder he wanted nothing to do with women. I guess we should be glad Jughead didn't end up like Idi Amin...

There is a comic trivia book that supposedly has the answer..."Between the panels" by Steve Duin and Mike Richardson advertise this as one of the questions,...but I couldn't find the answer.

J.D.

Archie comics are my specialty.... From Golden Age to Silver... I love em and I am always buying them..... I have never known what the S on Juggies shirt means... Can anyone of you Hepcats shed some light on this mystery for me????

Thanks,

the HepKitty

The 'S' stands for shirt. He had a 'P' on his pants, but he washed that off, because no one wants to have P on their pants.

The 'S' stands for shirt. He had a 'P' on his pants, but he washed that off, because no one wants to have P on their pants.

That's not how Greggy feels... 893whatthe.gif

Man... tough crowd! What did Jughead ever do to any of you except make the world a safer place for burger-lovin', wimmen-hatin' guys? 27_laughing.gif

Now I'm not going to tell you what the middle initial "P" stands for... so there! smile.gif

No, "Pendleton" is what some nudnik on Geocities *thinks* Jughead's middle name is... but that's not correct.

One hint, and not a very broad one at that...

There was a story in a Jughead from roughly 1968 in which Jughead reveals his middle name...but when he does so, he's overheard and the girls go wild, and chase him around like he's one of the Beatles (no actual Beatles reference in the story, I'm embellishing here)... No real explanation for why his middle name has this effect on women, but this is an Archie comic we're talking about smile.gif In that story, Jug tells Archie his middle name - and it ain't Pendleton.