• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Grading Standards

25 posts in this topic

Is there some information in regards to CGC's grading criteria for each grade. I know they don't publish it but has someone figured it out written something on it. Would love the link.

One think I do know for sure is the CGC grading is really getting tougher. Or am I hallucinating. My former 9.8s are now coming back 9.6's or 9.4s but I can't figure out why by the grading notes.

Is there some information in regards to CGC's grading criteria for each grade. I know they don't publish it but has someone figured it out written something on it. Would love the link.

One think I do know for sure is the CGC grading is really getting tougher. Or am I hallucinating. My former 9.8s are now coming back 9.6's or 9.4s but I can't figure out why by the grading notes.

Just curious, why are you resubbing 9.8's?

makepoint.gif Read it again . . .

makepoint.gif Read it again . . .

No I am not resubbing. The books in the past that I submitted and pregraded 9.8 used to come back a 9.8. I was right 95% of the time. But now based on that same grading criteria that I have used in the past my new submissions are coming back as low as 9.4s. I had a 9.4 ASM 298 that was beautiful and flawless.. The only grader note was a very small bend on the spine that didn't break color. So they graded it a 9.4. So it would be great to know like we do in overstreet what CGC uses for it's grading standards on a 9.0 up to 10.0. It is expensive to send moderns to CGC that grade 9.4 since you won't recoup your grading fee. thanks.

No I am not resubbing. The books in the past that I submitted and pregraded 9.8 used to come back a 9.8. I was right 95% of the time. But now based on that same grading criteria that I have used in the past my new submissions are coming back as low as 9.4s. I had a 9.4 ASM 298 that was beautiful and flawless.. The only grader note was a very small bend on the spine that didn't break color. So they graded it a 9.4. So it would be great to know like we do in overstreet what CGC uses for it's grading standards on a 9.0 up to 10.0. It is expensive to send moderns to CGC that grade 9.4 since you won't recoup your grading fee. thanks.

I wonder if the pressing era has upped the ante for the highest grades? Raised the bar from factory pressed (high preservation) to an aftermarket reconditioning press (flawlessly flat)? Especially for moderns? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That is a good point........... Hard to figure this all out right now. Do you think CGC will ever put out a grading guide...........???

Sure, with a release date to coinside with hell freezing over. In the meantime you might make use of a pre-screen option for moderns. Set a grade minimum for what gets slabbed and what's returned to you in mylar.

"Our only hope is that a pre-grader gets fired and goes public." 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My sister tried to sleep with one of the pre-graders to get information but he said that he only sleeps with 9.4's and above........ 27_laughing.gif

Does the coin grading industry reveal their grading criteria????

I heard they'll sleep with restored and qualified too.....

Are you saying my sister is ugly........................ insane.gif....She didn't have a chance although she is starting to get stress lines and has lost her gloss. She is restored though since she did have a butt lift.......................in 1968.

Are you saying my sister is ugly........................ insane.gif....She didn't have a chance although she is starting to get stress lines and has lost her gloss. She is restored though since she did have a butt lift.......................in 1968.

I didn't know that they were doing butt lifts all the way back to '68.

To put that in perspective...I was a year old when your sister decided that her butt needed a little lift. 893whatthe.gif

To put that in perspective...I was a year old when your sister decided that her butt needed a little lift. 893whatthe.gif

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

You had to go to the Bahamas to get a butt lift since the FDA hadn't approved the procedure yet. Today they have drive thrus where you stick your butt out the window and they can sew you up in 5 minutes........................ 27_laughing.gif

Does the coin grading industry reveal their grading criteria????

I don't know much about the coin industry, but I did hear that PCGS put out a book on their grading standards:

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-Grading-Counterfeit-Detection/dp/0676600409

"the grading standards of the Professional Coin Grading Service published in a book for the first time "

Others might be able to comment on the validity of this and how it might relate to CGC. (I dunno, PCGS could be the coin equivalent to PGX for all I know confused-smiley-013.gif)

I wonder if the pressing era has upped the ante for the highest grades? Raised the bar from factory pressed (high preservation) to an aftermarket reconditioning press (flawlessly flat)? Especially for moderns? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The former 9.8s probably don't match up nicely with the pressed 9.8s that are getting that grade now. You make an interesting point..........................