• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's see the REAL 1st appearances -- "1st panels" wanted !

148 posts in this topic

Here you are - Pep 22 first Archie panel.

1427604-pep22.jpg

Shield,

this is exactly what I was hoping for...your images and contributions to this thread are great thumbsup2.gif

With so much focus by our hobby on front covers, it is nice to get a peak inside of a great book like Pep 22, and see the true 1st appearance of Archie, and not just that big boot with spikes! tongue.gif

I know it's not gold, but I really love this first appearance and I like this new thread.

wolverinenl8.jpgflowerred.gif

But Overstreet syas that thats only a cameo not his first appearance gossip.gif

Who cares what some "book" says. Wolverine first appeared in issue 180 before 181 and that's fine by me. smile.gif

Here you are - Pep 22 first Archie panel.

1427604-pep22.jpg

That is awesome! Great page.

Who knew Archie started out as a redneck thug.

Can someone with an All Star 3 post the first panels or page with them all together

The splash of AS 3 is the same image as the cover (except there is a fireplace behind the table) so here's the last page when they get back together after the first story -

1428002-AS3-LastPage.jpg

1428002-AS3-LastPage.jpg.57455e4ab5e0de278dc6fa39f56191e3.jpg

Great thread idea, Showcase!

Shield - Thanks for posting that Pep #22. The original Archie looks like a cross between the "regular" Archie and Alfred E. Neuman.

He certainly looked like more of a troublemaker initially.

Nice catch!

Them wuz the days when Superman spent his time harassing traffic scofflaws instead of diverting planets from their orbits.

Jack

[Traffic improvement drive! Stop the presses!]

Ad for Detective #27 in Action #12...

985248-Detective27_Action12ad.JPG

These next 2 images and write-up are from Scoop!

1428244-supes.jpg

Home

"The first "Superman" panel. The second and third surviving panels are shown below.

From Papers to Comics to Papers

Did you Know...?, Scoop, Friday, September 27, 2002

As we mentioned in last week's Auctions/Prices, Sotheby's comic art auction (Part I of which ends today) features three extraordinary Superman newspaper panels. From the 1930s, these panels were composed in pen and ink on Craftint paper - a special paper that could bring out, or at least highlight, a dot pattern. But did you know that, although Superman didn't become a newspaper hero until after he had reached incredible comic book popularity, these panels were created before Superman's foray into comics? And these unused, surviving three panels are the only known and earliest surviving examples from the first series of dailies.

The section that features these three panels originally consisted of five panels, in a sequence depicting the origin of Superman. Panels 2 and 3 were long ago cut and removed, and very possibly may have been used in the laborious cutting and pasting process of putting the first page of Action Comics #1 together. "

1428244-supes.jpg.dc4ab97f452c5e069ee5f40bb90941b6.jpg

In some cases, like with Spectre, you will have the promo head shot that pre-dated his first appearance in More Fun #52.

Ad for Detective #27 in Action #12...

985248-Detective27_Action12ad.JPG

Thanks. I always wanted to see that. I remember reading about it a long time ago, however my memory tells me the ad was in Detective 26 or was there a different one? confused.gif

Can someone with an All Star 3 post the first panels or page with them all together

The splash of AS 3 is the same image as the cover (except there is a fireplace behind the table) so here's the last page when they get back together after the first story -

1428002-AS3-LastPage.jpg

Don't leave us hanging! What's the announcement from the editors on the next page?!?