• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Diamond in the rough!!

4 posts in this topic

I have begun buying a few large batches of comics to read and hopefully flip for a few bucks (or so I tell my wife but the reading is the main reason) and got a great find yesterday. My first batch was described as "excellent but read" and they were maybe Good +. This second batch was a set of fifty 60's cartoon comics (Looney tunes, Casper) for about $35. The third comic into the set was a 1949 golden age Nurse Nellie #8 in Good condition. The other books were as described and in mostly Fine with a few Fine+, so I was very happy with the set.

I know that a lot of people are getting jipped off on e-bay (including myself) but I got a gem.

I've found several gems at local Antique Markets and Swap Meets. You'll see a varirty of people there. You'll get someone who will take a beat up copy of particular issue, look it up in Overstreet and mark it as the mint price. And then sometimes, and more often then you think, you'll find someone who's selling a fantastic comic in fantastic condition for literally change. I've bought Hero for Hire #1, The Demon #1, various X-Men, Daredevils, Spidey's with Character firsts, all for a buck or two. If you're looking for deals, those are the places to go. It's always hit or miss, but the hunt is so much fun.

I've found that, if I'm patient, disciplined, buy only lots and research the seller a bit I can find some nice VF or better books -- bronze mostly -- for less than a buck apiece shipped.

I either have some high quality comics cheap or some cheap reader copies I can hand over to my son.