• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to collect next?

33 posts in this topic

I have just about finished my ASM collection. I have the biggies to go: AF15, ASM 1 - 20, 122 & 129. It will take some big bucks to buy these.

I not sure what I should start collecting next. Maybe, another silver age marvel hero...

As I am completionist, I am more interested in great story lines than cover art.

What do you recommend?

Thanks.

Must agree with the above... (surprise)

Or how about good old Cap A? a nice SA run on him could be nice (and not that expensive if you want a title you can complete without selling your car)

In general i would say the 1968 titles maybe Iron Man , Subby or Cap M if dont like Cap A... the hornhead is also a nice fellow and we are to few on here that appreciates and collects him.. sumo.gif

Many would probably mean that you cant be a marvel collector without a FF run...

But if you are a completionist ... (as I am acclaim.gif ) have you asked yourself which title you really enjoy? maybe as a child or which you one you think had the best stories in the SA or BA ? then just collect that one... even if it is rawhide kid poke2.gif

I have just about finished my ASM collection. I have the biggies to go: AF15, ASM 1 - 20, 122 & 129. It will take some big bucks to buy these.

I not sure what I should start collecting next. Maybe, another silver age marvel hero...

As I am completionist, I am more interested in great story lines than cover art.

What do you recommend?

Thanks.

Original Art is where the money is at

What do you recommend?

Thanks.

Does it HAVE to be Marvel? shy.gif

What do you recommend?

Thanks.

Does it HAVE to be Marvel? shy.gif

If you're going Silver Age, YES!

<font size="70" COLOR=white face="comic sans ms"><MARQUEE bgcolor="purple" loop="1" scrollamount="10" width="100%"> X-Men X-Men X-Men X-Men X-Men X-Men X-Men X-Men </marquee></font><p>

Ditto 893applaud-thumb.gif

Back when I was collecting Marvels (which was when there were only three ages: Gold Silver and Modern smile.gif) My favorite superhero title was Avengers. Lots of really great books and storylines (eg 57-up, 93-up). And I think still not too expensive thumbsup2.gif

What do you recommend?

Thanks.

If you're into great story lines, it's going to have to be Marvels. Depends on what characters you like. FF's arguably have the most inventive periods and very intricate story arcs with #30's to the 70's being an expolsion of new characters and arcs. I love the Silver Surfer #1-18 run. Thor was also awsome. DD is one of my faves and VERY inexpensive compared to anything else out there from Marvel.

Back when I was collecting Marvels (which was when there were only three ages: Gold Silver and Modern smile.gif) My favorite superhero title was Avengers. Lots of really great books and storylines (eg 57-up, 93-up). And I think still not too expensive thumbsup2.gif

You can't go wrong with the Avengers. Great stories AND great cover art 893applaud-thumb.gif

I collected the Daredevil run, because he's my favorite character... I have everything from 1-10, 100-present, and I'm only missing 74 issues from 11-99.

It's pretty inexpensive, once you have 1-10, 131, 158, 168, 181... everything else is filler. Anything Miller is higher priced, but still really affordable. Easy series to find, and a really good read. Still underrated and underpriced in my opinion.

I always had random issues/small runs of FF and X-Men, so after I finished DD 100-present, I tried to decide where to go next (much like you situation) so I kind of split my collecting into FF, X-Men and Thor. I also picked up a few lots of Incredible Hulk along the way, but FF, X-Men and Thor are my main three.

X-Men - I always tell people who want to start a run of silver-present Marvel to avoid two things... Amazing Spidey and Uncanny X-Men. The reason being that of all the Marvel titles, they're the most collected and highly sought after books. People wil pay higher prices on common/non-key issues of these titles before they would on any other title. You already finished Amazing Spidey, so maybe you don't mind that. You're more likely to find last years's issues of uncanny in the 25-cent bin before you'll find older issues of Uncanny in the $1 or $2 bin, that aren't damaged. Most issues you'll find at cons or shops marked at book value. But Uncanny has some great runs and stories, and I collect it here or there, because I really enjoy reading them.

Thor - Really, under priced, but sometimes a little harder to find than other books, since I don't really think Thor was every really a huge selling book. The JIM issues will cost a lot, but I came across silver age Thor in the $2 bin at cons in VF. Everything late bronze until the first series ended can be found for $1 or less at cons. There's a few nie runs in there, but not as many as X-Men.

FF - 1-100 are high priced, since they're Lee/Kirby, great stories in there and a lot of marvel characters debut in that run. But after that, everything is common. You could probably build it from the $1 bins, no problem.

I never colelcted Cap, Iron Man or Avengers to know about ther runs, and as I said I only have a few issues of Hulk.

I also recently started collecting Iron Fist. It's a short run... 11 issues in Marvel Premiere, and 15 issues of his own title. Marvel Premiere #15 is really affordable, the only big issue of all of them is Iron Fist #14 which is the first appearance of Sabretooth.

Maybe if there's a character that crossed over into Spidey that you liked you can start on that character?

I don't know... I guess the important thing is to collect who you like. Maybe collect two runs, one harder key-filled run and the another that's easy....