• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the lowest grade you would buy for Silver age comics?

67 posts in this topic

Thanks for everyone's opinions thumbsup2.gif

My favorite titles are JLA, Avengers, TOS, X-men, FF, ASM, and JIM. Unfortunately, these books in high-grade are either in high demand and snatched up quickly, not even available for purchase, or extremely expensive. Christo_pull_hair.gif

johnny

P.S.---I saw an Avengers #1 CGC 9.0 for $6700 on either comiclink or pedigree (can't remember exactly). Is this one available from time to time in this grade?

I looked at gpanalysis and one sold just a few months ago, but for a couple thousand dollars less!!!! Some of the prices on these sites are way up there. frustrated.gif

P.S.---Also, there is a TOS #39 CGC 9.0 for $13.8K on metropolis comics website (which I would love to have but don't have the funds). Decent price or not??? confused-smiley-013.gif

Is it correct to say that most collectors are looking for at least 8.0/8.5 or better on most silver age books (except the very expensive major keys)?

And that anything lower than 8.0, would be hard to sell for profit down the road.

Like Mad Dog, I would like to have a complete run and am trying to decide what minimum grade I would be happy with. I also want to at least break even when and if I decide to sell down the road.

I think that would depend on what is more important to you. The grade or the title. For example, ASM or FF are very expensive in high grade while Avengers and DD are "relative" bargins. If your sole objective is to complete a high grade run (i.e 8.0 or higher), then your best bet is to go with the latter titles or something similar. But if you want one of the more popular titles then I'd settle for a lower grade (3.0-4.0) book with good eye appeal.

I collect high grade ASM. Guess im on a mission to nowhere frown.gif

Thanks for everyone's opinions thumbsup2.gif

My favorite titles are JLA, Avengers, TOS, X-men, FF, ASM, and JIM. Unfortunately, these books in high-grade are either in high demand and snatched up quickly, not even available for purchase, or extremely expensive. Christo_pull_hair.gif

johnny

P.S.---I saw an Avengers #1 CGC 9.0 for $6700 on either comiclink or pedigree (can't remember exactly). Is this one available from time to time in this grade?

I looked at gpanalysis and one sold just a few months ago, but for a couple thousand dollars less!!!! Some of the prices on these sites are way up there. frustrated.gif

P.S.---Also, there is a TOS #39 CGC 9.0 for $13.8K on metropolis comics website (which I would love to have but don't have the funds). Decent price or not??? confused-smiley-013.gif

are you serious..? 13K for a comic book and you ask if it is decent? 27_laughing.gif

No offcause its not! And it is not a good investment either.... I would say, that spending more than 10-15 % or your disposable income or savings is completely whack... tonofbricks.gif comics should be enjoyed... if you spend all your lifesavings on them you are destined to, unless you are unsual cold, loose the fondness of the funny-book cause you will be too woried about the collectible market.. enjoy the pictures of these books, and spend less than 13K on a single comic. I like just browsing through Dougs collection and drewling... 27_laughing.gif .. but then again, the single largest comic book purchase i have made was for 650 dollars and that was only a week ago. I never think i will cross the 1000 barrier for one single book... atleast not the 2000 barrier.. grin.gif

Is it correct to say that most collectors are looking for at least 8.0/8.5 or better on most silver age books (except the very expensive major keys)?

And that anything lower than 8.0, would be hard to sell for profit down the road.

Like Mad Dog, I would like to have a complete run and am trying to decide what minimum grade I would be happy with. I also want to at least break even when and if I decide to sell down the road.

I think that would depend on what is more important to you. The grade or the title. For example, ASM or FF are very expensive in high grade while Avengers and DD are "relative" bargins. If your sole objective is to complete a high grade run (i.e 8.0 or higher), then your best bet is to go with the latter titles or something similar. But if you want one of the more popular titles then I'd settle for a lower grade (3.0-4.0) book with good eye appeal.

High Grade Spideys especially keys tend to be alot more expensive then most other popular marvel titles.

That's not necessarily true. Looking at your signature, all the books you WTB are attainable given patience and a discipline to save. thumbsup2.gif

High Grade Spideys especially keys tend to be alot more expensive then most other popular marvel titles.

True.

FF early issues are also very difficult to find in 9.4 or better.

You're absolutely correct about FF. The first 10 issues are extremely difficult to find in NM, and cost you an arm and leg when they do appear. I once thought that early issues of JIM were as hard to find in NM as early FF, but I was proved wrong by the explosion of issues that appeared once JIM prices went through the roof. The exception is JIM 84, which remains impossible to find in NM (but Schmell's copy is for sale, although it ain't cheap!).

P.S.--by the way, very nice JLA high-grade books (saw them on one of the threads). And BB #28 hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

thanks! Glad you liked them!

If you have the money, ASM is the easiest title to complete.

Depends on the book/value.

For later Silver Age (and no keys), I try to get VF or better.

For keys such as JLA #1, I looked for a nice looking copy even though it was Good+. My budget dictates a lot. I've yet to take $1000 to a show yet. Usually I bring between $300 - $500 to a Show. (I have only ordered online twice and tend to just check out the Motor City Con.)

As another example, my last JLA I need is #2. I've been aiming for a copy in Fine but have only found it in G or VG for the last couple of years. Heck, last I checked, it wasn't on Metropolis at all.

For raw, which means reader, VF-VF/NM. As like to have a nice reading copy. and this being the copy I'll pull out and and handle, and look at the most, I want good condition...but not too good.

For slabs, which means, having a copy I wouldn't want to handle, but still want a pristine example of a favourite book, I go for higher grades in SA. Starting at 9.2.

Though I'm known for buying the odd HG SA book, I honestly don't think 9.8 is the way to go. Taking a step back saves a lot of money, unless the piece is also viable as solid investment piece. Which arguably when your spending larger sums of money is pure insanity not to consider.

For raw, which means reader, VF-VF/NM. As like to have a nice reading copy. and this being the copy I'll pull out and and handle, and look at the most, I want good condition...but not too good.

For slabs, which means, having a copy I wouldn't want to handle, but still want a pristine example of a favourite book, I go for higher grades in SA. Starting at 9.2.

Though I'm known for buying the odd HG SA book, I honestly don't think 9.8 is the way to go. Taking a step back saves a lot of money, unless the piece is also viable as solid investment piece. Which arguably when your spending larger sums of money is pure insanity not to consider.

Well said Mr. Pym. My Bronze Age War collection ranges from 9.0-9.2, with a smattering of 9.4s... all raw. Anything higher than that, and I'd be afraid to read them.

As for Silver, collecting DC war comics really affects the grades you can ever find. Books from 1962 onwards are available in 9.4, but they command a massive premium. My top grade from this era is 8.5 - the perfect mixture of quality and affordability. But I'll never say no to 6.0-8.0 books with strong eye appeal.

As for the 1952-1961 books, anything goes. I try and aim for clean 5.5-7.0 on those. But without a doubt, I certainly have some early issues that are iffy VGs.

I am utterly convinced that some of the earlier books that I collect, particularly war books from the 1952-1954 era, do not exist in 9.0 or above.

One of the interesting things about collecting a genre as specific as Silver age DC war is that even the mid-grade books hold their value very well. I typically sell off older doubles when I upgrade, and I always do well on them. The collectors of this genre are very, very passionate. When a book comes up even in VG, if someone needs that book to fill a hole in a run, they tend to forget the guide and pay more to get it.

Shep

One of the interesting things about collecting a genre as specific as Silver age DC war is that even the mid-grade books hold their value very well. I typically sell off older doubles when I upgrade, and I always do well on them. The collectors of this genre are very, very passionate. When a book comes up even in VG, if someone needs that book to fill a hole in a run, they tend to forget the guide and pay more to get it.

Shep

Very interesting comments there. I knew DC SA war was hot, but not that hot!

Shep

Very interesting comments there. I knew DC SA war was hot, but not that hot!

Actually, they're probably hotter in mid-grade than they are in ultra-HG. A lot of DC War collectors tend to be, how shall we say, price sensitive.

What's the lowest grade you would buy for Silver age comics?

I have a $50 threshold.

If I can get a VF for $50 I won't settle for less.

This covers most non-key SA books after 1965.

On older, but still cheaper, SA books:

If I can get a Fine for $50 I won't settle for less.

On pricer SA books it's a $100 threshold and I try to get at least VG+/VGF.

On the big books that cost way over $100 in VG I do the best I can.

smile.gif

9.0 is my basement, but that's only because I painted myself into a corner by beginning my collection decades ago with VF/NM minimums (not that I'm complaining grin.gif).

Can't sully my collection now with lowly 7's & 8's. I'd rather use those to scrape off the bottom of my shoes after a walk through the dog park.

Alright boys...flame away!!!!

Rick