• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thebigloo's Batman #1

36 posts in this topic

I decided to bid on some books just because they were in the same collection as those Mile High Action books.

I even won the All Flash 3. I did not have a current guide with me at the office when I saw it and bid, but I did not think that that book went too high. I was surprised at the last second bump on the Bob Hope # 1 which I was hoping to get as well

I decided to bid on some books just because they were in the same collection as those Mile High Action books.

I even won the All Flash 3. I did not have a current guide with me at the office when I saw it and bid, but I did not think that that book went too high. I was surprised at the last second bump on the Bob Hope # 1 which I was hoping to get as well

I think some of the other bidders may have felt the same way as you. Congrats on the AF 3 by the way.

They were from the same collector as the MH Actions -- I'm doubtful they were of the same "collection". DA has been buying and selling books for many years and I think it's far more likely that these were bought for sale (immediate or eventual) than they were purchased and replaced by upgrades.

If you'd like to know for certain, you can always ask him.

My favorite though was probably the Batman 1 heavily restored VG reaching the same price (even after shill bidder was removed) that my CGC 8.0 copy finished for on eBay less than 3 weeks ago.

Filter;

Interesting comparison here!

Agree with everybody so far on the 3 factors playing a part in the relatively strong price here:

1) Low starting bid with no reserve placing the risk on the seller;

2) Strong reputation of the seller for those in the know; and

3) 100% feedback for those who don't know who the seller is.

Some other factors I would also toss into the equation, however, would include the following:

4) Resto doesn't affect books in low grade to the same extent as books in higher grades since purchasers in this end of the market are more interested in just acquiring a copy of the book whether it has resto or not;

5) Resto affects books in the higher grades to a larger extent since purchasers in this end of the market are much more concerned with grade and restoration, and as a result, has a strong impact on the price;

6) Resto books are better off being sold raw since potential purchasers will still notice the book, read through the auction description, and then make a purchasing decsion accordingly. Purchasing decsion is made based upon the actual book itself;

7) CGC graded resto books with their purple labels results in many potential purchasrs skipping right pass the book without even bothering to read the auction description, no matter how nice the book is. Hence, the stigma of the PLOD as the book doesn't even get out of the starting gate, with the purchasing decsion made based solely upon the colour of the label.

Just my opinion on the apparent aberration in the marketplace between Dave's Batman #1 and your Batman #1.

That was a high price for a heavily restored book.

Yeah, the winning bidders of some of those auctions probably were high based on some of the bids that were placed..

I feel like contacting this seller and asking him if I could pay him something to offer some of my books to the underbidders of a few of those auctions. I have some of those books in identical or nicer conditions that I'd happily sell for half of the price some of those auctions reached.

I'm assuming this seller is very well-respected in the hobby, because he was able to get EXTREMELY aggressive prices on almost every book he listed today.

You are right about that Adam. Maybe we should let Dave sell our books, pay him a 15% commission and still come out WAY ahead!

smile.gif

Bill;

Based upon my analysis of some of the prices, they appear rather reasonable to me. Although I am sure you could point to specific examples of high prices, I also see several examples of reasonable prices, including some at even lower than guide.

For example, I believe the Adventure books were already mentioned by another board member as selling for reasonable prices. Although the much talked about Adventure #37 did indeed sell for 60+% over guide, I also noticed the classic Sandman Adventure #42 sold at a 25% discount to guide.

Noticed that another HTF pre-hero DC book, All-American #7, also sold at a 25% discount to guide. Especially surprising since the book presented very well with its off-white pages and clean cover. Just checked and noticed that this book was given a scarcity rating of 8 in the Gerber book. Also surprising is that this is one of the very few All-American issues that have yet to be graded by CGC. Buyer probably got a good deal here, although the cover image is certainly no Adventure #37 and probably the killer in this case.

Just a different and probably inconclusive viewpoint of the auction results.

hello all..

the underbidder

johncullyhanna

is registered with ebay as a UK bidder...they have not paid for, nor contacted, nor responded to the seller of the auction they did win last week...

the bidder that was removed from the auction

bush-is-my-friend

is also registered from the UK, and has bid up some large comic auctions (thread in the general forumn)...both registered about the same time, both from UK, neither has completed a transaction ,etc...

rick

hello all..

the underbidder

johncullyhanna

is registered with ebay as a UK bidder...they have not paid for, nor contacted, nor responded to the seller of the auction they did win last week...

bush-is-my-friend

is also registered from the UK, and has bid up some large comic auctions (thread in the general forumn)...both registered about the same time, both from UK, neither has completed a transaction ,etc...

rick

Wow, talk about screwing up a bunch of nice auctions. If I was high bidder on one of those lots that these UK scammers F'd up, I'd insist on a relisting by the seller, and Ebay ought to rebate all seller fees. Further, I think Ebay needs to insist on credit card info on ALL registrants, and put into policy if these scammers pull this kind of BS then Ebay CHARGES their card some sort of hefty penalty fees. Just a thought.... 893blahblah.gif

hello all..

the underbidder

johncullyhanna

bush-is-my-friend

rick

Wow, talk about screwing up a bunch of nice auctions. If I was high bidder on one of those lots that these UK scammers F'd up, I'd insist on a relisting by the seller, and Ebay ought to rebate all seller fees. Further, I think Ebay needs to insist on credit card info on ALL registrants, and put into policy if these scammers pull this kind of BS then Ebay CHARGES their card some sort of hefty penalty fees. Just a thought.... 893blahblah.gif

Good thought Philly

That was a high price for a heavily restored book.

Yeah, the winning bidders of some of those auctions probably were high based on some of the bids that were placed..

I feel like contacting this seller and asking him if I could pay him something to offer some of my books to the underbidders of a few of those auctions. I have some of those books in identical or nicer conditions that I'd happily sell for half of the price some of those auctions reached.

I'm assuming this seller is very well-respected in the hobby, because he was able to get EXTREMELY aggressive prices on almost every book he listed today.

You are right about that Adam. Maybe we should let Dave sell our books, pay him a 15% commission and still come out WAY ahead!

smile.gif

Bill;

Based upon my analysis of some of the prices, they appear rather reasonable to me. Although I am sure you could point to specific examples of high prices, I also see several examples of reasonable prices, including some at even lower than guide.

For example, I believe the Adventure books were already mentioned by another board member as selling for reasonable prices. Although the much talked about Adventure #37 did indeed sell for 60+% over guide, I also noticed the classic Sandman Adventure #42 sold at a 25% discount to guide.

Noticed that another HTF pre-hero DC book, All-American #7, also sold at a 25% discount to guide. Especially surprising since the book presented very well with its off-white pages and clean cover. Just checked and noticed that this book was given a scarcity rating of 8 in the Gerber book. Also surprising is that this is one of the very few All-American issues that have yet to be graded by CGC. Buyer probably got a good deal here, although the cover image is certainly no Adventure #37 and probably the killer in this case.

Just a different and probably inconclusive viewpoint of the auction results.

Excellent points , I was mostly just joking around with Adam on this one. There were a few of his books I was watching and or bidding on, one of them was the Adventure 37, I was stunned at how well that one did. I did manage to win one of the books, but by and large it looks like he did well on the lot of them.

I also won the Superboy 2. I thought that it went for well under guide so I was happy to get it. I lost out on several others that I was interested in like the Showcase 22 which had color touch.

I almost went higher on the Famous Funnies but I was concerned about the 1"x1/2" interior panels missing.

I also won the Superboy 2. I thought that it went for well under guide so I was happy to get it. I lost out on several others that I was interested in like the Showcase 22 which had color touch.

Yes, it looks like the Showcase #22 went for a pretty reasonable price in comparison to some of the other Showcase issues. I was seriously thinking of bidding on the book since Green Lantern is one of my more favorite DC characters, and this is the key GL SA book.

I guess the clincher in my decision was due to the colour touch since I just have a problem with any kind of resto on anything after the very early GA. Also didn't help since this book seems to have scads of them graded already.