• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

Okay, one sale does not exactly make a market, but I just saw this GL 76 CGC 9.0 (o/w pages, no less) on ebay go for $815.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GREEN-LANTERN-76-NEA...1QQcmdZViewItem

Then there's the CGC 9.0 listed on Comiclink for $1k (I think it's jimjum's copy he doesn't want to sell) but has a bid of $850.

Now if somebody cracks $900, I'm going to sell my copy (even though I love GL 76s) b/c I have a CGC 9.0 WP -- I mean, for a 9.0? Almost $1k?

Seems high -- is this book becoming that hot? And I know it's hot, but is this being recognized as the beginning of the Bronze Age?

This book has a really good shot of hitting 1 K in the next 3-5 years in the Overstreet so a 9.0 won't be too far behind. The thing is, people being fickle and always jumping on the next hot book its run might not last much longer than say the next year or two. That being said, looking at the census there are so many less high grade copies of this book than the big 3 Marvel's who knows? I feel there are more people now just collecting "key" books moreso than just Marvel OR DC key books. This is definitely a top fiver from the Bronze Age and as the years go on, this may finally get true recognition (sort of like when Showcase 4 became more important than Detective 225) as the start of the Bronze Age and just "become" the book to own.

Jay

Okay, one sale does not exactly make a market, but I just saw this GL 76 CGC 9.0 (o/w pages, no less) on ebay go for $815.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GREEN-LANTERN-76-NEA...1QQcmdZViewItem

Then there's the CGC 9.0 listed on Comiclink for $1k (I think it's jimjum's copy he doesn't want to sell) but has a bid of $850.

Now if somebody cracks $900, I'm going to sell my copy (even though I love GL 76s) b/c I have a CGC 9.0 WP -- I mean, for a 9.0? Almost $1k?

Seems high -- is this book becoming that hot? And I know it's hot, but is this being recognized as the beginning of the Bronze Age?

This book is a no brainer $$$$$ up up and away. Just like GL 59 High grade issues no longer exist. You have to prod one out of a collection..............

I think people are just really starting to realize how important this book is in the grand scheme of things with Bronze Age books, start of the Bronze Age or not. One thing to note is that Neal Adams books have been continually rising in value and it seems his fans are everywhere and this book is the book with regards to his work.

The rarity factor Im sure also plays a factor. Whether its hard to believe or not this book seems to genuinely be hard to find in true NM condition and what I think is more of a truer test of a books long term value is once prices start going nuts on it do the higher grade copies show up for sale ?

I cant even remember when was the last time we saw a copy of this book in 9.4 for sale publically and I can personally attest that the prices on 9.4s are heading into the stratosphere even more so then the 9.0s. The art and story in the book are terrific and since we all know we comic people are " Cover guys " you really cant get better then this in any age of comics.

The rarity factor Im sure also plays a factor. Whether its hard to believe or not this book seems to genuinely be hard to find in true NM condition and what I think is more of a truer test of a books long term value is once prices start going nuts on it do the higher grade copies show up for sale ?

I cant even remember when was the last time we saw a copy of this book in 9.4 for sale publically and I can personally attest that the prices on 9.4s are heading into the stratosphere even more so then the 9.0s. The art and story in the book are terrific and since we all know we comic people are " Cover guys " you really cant get better then this in any age of comics.

I have to admit I've been converted on the scarcity factor when it comes to this particular issue. I'm a leading skeptic that ANY post-1965 mainstream title is truly scarce in NM, and when Ewert's 9.6 copy attracted huge bids on eBay, I was sure that the prices would draw more HG copies out of the woodwork. But several years later, the census numbers have barely budged in 9.4 and above.

It's a real mystery. Adams was already very high profile after his stints on X-Men and Avengers, and his GL run has been broken out in the Guide for many years. So it's not a book that snuck up on collectors. I'm sure enough copies were preserved by collectors early enough that it wouldn't be a case of a book being worthless for years and getting consigned to 25-cent bin hell for 10-15 years. And the valuation was high enough in all grades that it wouldn't be a case of a book not getting slabbed because it only became worthwhile if it came back as a 9.6 or 9.8. But facts is facts, and the fact is that this book continues to defy all rational explanation by remaining extremely scarce in NM.

I have to admit I've been converted on the scarcity factor when it comes to this particular issue. I'm a leading skeptic that ANY post-1965 mainstream title is truly scarce in NM, and when Ewert's 9.6 copy attracted huge bids on eBay, I was sure that the prices would draw more HG copies out of the woodwork. But several years later, the census numbers have barely budged in 9.4 and above.

It's a real mystery. Adams was already very high profile after his stints on X-Men and Avengers, and his GL run has been broken out in the Guide for many years. So it's not a book that snuck up on collectors. I'm sure enough copies were preserved by collectors early enough that it wouldn't be a case of a book being worthless for years and getting consigned to 25-cent bin hell for 10-15 years. And the valuation was high enough in all grades that it wouldn't be a case of a book not getting slabbed because it only became worthwhile if it came back as a 9.6 or 9.8. But facts is facts, and the fact is that this book continues to defy all rational explanation by remaining extremely scarce in NM.

You've got the 1960s/70s Marvel hoarding factor going for Adams X-Men. And the Adams Avengers run post-dates GL/GA. Take a look at the census for over 9.2 Adams DCs prior to GL 76: a spot check of the other DC Adams firsts B&B 79, Detective 395 show they also have not been slabbed in nearly the numbers that say X-Men 56 has been.

We ought to PM Beerbohm about this thread-- he'd certainly have some ideas about late 1960s, early 1970s speculation... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

We ought to PM Beerbohm about this thread-- he'd certainly have some ideas about late 1960s, early 1970s speculation... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's a good idea. I'll send him one right now. thumbsup2.gif

Wonder if my 8.5 could have "hidden value"? 893scratchchin-thumb.giftongue.gif

One logical explanation is that many of these books are held by hardcore DC collectors. These guys make Marvel addicts look normal by comparison, and tend to be accumulators, rather than speculators.

This is a very important BA book, and even as a Marvel collector myself, I'd never let my VF copy go. sumo.gif

That does make sense, but still doesn't totally explain the lack of uber-HG.

Census shows the following info for the book:

-Green Lantern #76 (223 submitted) - 1 in 9.6, 8 in 9.4 (1 is restored, though)

I did a quick census check on a few DC titles from the same time frame (March-April 1970):

-House of Mystery #185 (23 copies submitted) - 7 in 9.6, 5 in 9.4

-Batman #220 (18 copies submitted) - 4 in 9.6, 3 in 9.4

-Detective #398 (17 submitted) - 2 in 9.6, 5 in 9.4

-Phantom Stranger #6 (8 submitted) - 5 in 9.6

I also checked a few other "big ticket" DC books from that timeframe:

-Detective #400 (June 1970) (104 submitted) - 5 in 9.6, 17 in 9.4 (1 is Qualified)

-HOS #92 (June-July 1971) (458 submitted) - 7 in 9.6, 20 in 9.4 (1 restored)

-Batman #234 (Aug 1971) (178 submitted) - 13 in 9.6, 26 in 9.4

You'd have to think that, especially considering the insane prices a 9.6 would bring, that someone would've submitted one. Isn't the lone GL #76 9.6 a Ewert book as well (so it's suspect, IMO)?

You have to admit, it's a strange "phenomenon" with that book. Wasn't the title dying when they brought Adams on? Could that have something to do with it? confused-smiley-013.gif

That does make sense, but still doesn't totally explain the lack of uber-HG.

Census shows the following info for the book:

-Green Lantern #76 (223 submitted) - 1 in 9.6, 8 in 9.4 (1 is restored, though)

I did a quick census check on a few DC titles from the same time frame (March-April 1970):

-House of Mystery #185 (23 copies submitted) - 7 in 9.6, 5 in 9.4

-Batman #220 (18 copies submitted) - 4 in 9.6, 3 in 9.4

-Detective #398 (17 submitted) - 2 in 9.6, 5 in 9.4

-Phantom Stranger #6 (8 submitted) - 5 in 9.6

I also checked a few other "big ticket" DC books from that timeframe:

-Detective #400 (June 1970) (104 submitted) - 5 in 9.6, 17 in 9.4 (1 is Qualified)

-HOS #92 (June-July 1971) (458 submitted) - 7 in 9.6, 20 in 9.4 (1 restored)

-Batman #234 (Aug 1971) (178 submitted) - 13 in 9.6, 26 in 9.4

You'd have to think that, especially considering the insane prices a 9.6 would bring, that someone would've submitted one. Isn't the lone GL #76 9.6 a Ewert book as well (so it's suspect, IMO)?

You have to admit, it's a strange "phenomenon" with that book. Wasn't the title dying when they brought Adams on? Could that have something to do with it? confused-smiley-013.gif

Great analysis, and I think you`ve nailed it on the head. thumbsup2.gif GL 76 is just one of those anomalies, like DD #7, which is impossible in HG even though other Marvel from that month are totally normal.

And you`re correct about the 9.6 being a Ewert book.

Great analysis, and I think you`ve nailed it on the head. thumbsup2.gif GL 76 is just one of those anomalies, like DD #7, which is impossible in HG even though other Marvel from that month are totally normal.

And you`re correct about the 9.6 being a Ewert book.

Thanks.

Also just checked on the other 2 "Big Books" from the Adams GL run:

#85 (130 submitted) - 3 in 9.8, 17 in 9.6, 31 in 9.4

#86 (135 submitted) - 6 in 9.8, 13 in 9.6, 28 in 9.4

So, it definitely is the "anomaly book". I'm thinking I might be on the right track regarding the book being a dying title. Does anyone have distribution/sales #'s for #76, 85, and 86? Alot of the 76's could've been returned and destroyed. By the time 85/86 came out (a little more than a year later), everyone knew it was a great series with O'Neil and Adams at the helm. Maybe alot more people buying and keeping the book. confused-smiley-013.gif

That's why the GL 76 vs. X-Men 56 comparison is particularly interesting to me. In both cases you have poorly-selling series on the verge of cancellation suddenly treated to Neal Adams artwork. But X-Men 56 survives today with more than 4X the GL 76 over-9.2 submissions. Despite the fact that the X-Men book is a year older than GL/GA. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I kinda doubt JC's contention that DC accumulators are hoarding multiples of this issue. My VF-ish copy of GL 76 is the only one I've ever owned. I think it is more probable that while every collector may think he needs one GL 76, the collectors in the late 1960s thought they needed multiples of the Marvels, perhaps for investment, perhaps to trade with other collectors for issues they had missed on the newstand.

Bob, Bob, what say you?

A friend of mine here in Las Vegas has the Oakland GL 76. I was at the con when he bought it for what I thought was an outrageous price at the time.

I do not believe the book is being hoarded. I once heard a story about a collector that had a STACK (30+ copies?) of B&B 28. You hear these stories but when escalating prices don't drive the books to market you wonder if there is any truth to them. GL 76 has always been popular to ADAMS collectors, but we probably have CGC to thank for understanding how few really HG copies there are out there.

In fact, any hard core DC collector would tell you that there are a SLEW of very difficult to get books from 67-71 in HG (not rare, just in 9.2 or better). Most of us *cough* don't want to talk about the specific issues and titles because we actively seek them ourselves and don't want to raise awareness to those particular issues. Since they don't have the significance of a GL 76, there are lesser known, to some degree.

I personally think (no I don't own a GL 76 at the moment) that GL 76 is the real deal, and is one of the most significant BA books, from either company.

In fact, any hard core DC collector would tell you that there are a SLEW of very difficult to get books from 67-71 in HG (not rare, just in 9.2 or better).

Definitely right. I love it when people claim that all DCs from the late 60s, early 70s are plentiful in HG. It's simply not true at all. I have a handful of examples where there isn't a SINGLE high grade copy known and trust me, it isn't for a lack of searching.

That's why the GL 76 vs. X-Men 56 comparison is particularly interesting to me. In both cases you have poorly-selling series on the verge of cancellation suddenly treated to Neal Adams artwork. But X-Men 56 survives today with more than 4X the GL 76 over-9.2 submissions. Despite the fact that the X-Men book is a year older than GL/GA. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I kinda doubt JC's contention that DC collectors are hoarding multiples of this issue. My VF-ish copy of GL 76 is the only one I've ever owned. I think it is more probable that while every collector may think he needs one GL 76, the collectors in the late 1960s thought they needed multiples of the Marvels, perhaps for investment, perhaps to trade with other collectors for issues they had missed on the newstand.

Bob, Bob, what say you?

Chrisco37 PM's me to entertain some thoughts i might have on GL 76

I began speculating on new comics in earnest in 1968, buying 200 each of the Marvel split up titles such as Iron Man 1, CA 100, HULK 102, SM 1, NICK FURY 1, DOCTOR STRANGE 169, IM/SM 1, SILVER SURFER 1, along with some DC issues by Ditko Creeper 1 Hawk & Dove 1 among others.

People i knew back then doing spec on new comics were concentrating on first issues at first.

There used to be a term called "regional scarcity" quite common in fandom and was talked about as such in the fanzines and comicons of the day, the former i began getting in 1966 starting with RBCC #45 and i set up at my first comicon in Houston back in June 1967

Every month some "region" of the country would not put out their comic books, deeming them too much work for too little return.

Some of us discovered that one could purchase new comics, hold em for a couple months and then begin getting a quarter or half a dollar for #1 issues, as #1 issues were generally the ones the mag distributors would not place out onto the mag racks - one major reason DC (National Periodicals back then in the 1950s and 60s) did not place a #1 on their first issues.

By 1969 coming into 1970 comic book collector dealers dabbling in speculation were tuning into artists, of which Neal Adams had become #1 followed by Steranko and up & coming new comers Wrightson and Barry Smith.

For some reason GL 76 got over looked, coming out soon after Christmas of 1969, most likely in Jan 1970, when people's personal funds were low, spending their dough on Christmas, most likely, as is the case most years

I know i did not tune into GL in terms of ordering a pile of extras until 78, after seeing 76 and 77, and not having that much money to invest $15 into a hundred of a middle range number that time of year.

By the heroin Speedy issues i bought something like 300 of each, along with buying 600 copies of Conan #1 by Smith in late summer 1970, which my partner Steve Johnson and msyelf took em all to the following Seuling NY comicon, and began selling those for $2 a pop, limit 10, and very soon on the first day Thursday, raised it to $3 each, limit one per person, and still sold out by Friday mid day

Conan #1 paid for our whole trip to NYC and back, when Motel 6 was still $6, gas was a quarter a gallon, etc - and had lots of spare bucks to purchase Gold and 50s comic books, mostly ECs, as i remember.

GL #76 came out when it simply did not appear on that many people's radar, it was not a Marvel, which was the main aspect of selling comic books back then.

The heroin issues garnered national press, created quite a stir, got a lot of Marvel Zombies to go after them, and the issues 76-84 were harder to obtain by then

Remember, when i co-opened the first Comics & Comix store with John Barrett and Bud Plant, with John and myself as the in the store working partner, we figured out there were just 22 other comic book stores in the country - this was August 1972

Go back to late 1969, early 1970, and the big push in comic book speculation had not yet gained any kind of real traction - and GL 76 was hard to find by 1971 coming into when 85 86 put it on the map. Prices started jumping thru the 70s, and a slew of Adams fanzine projects hit the market.

But Marvel still ruled the roost for the most part, with just Adams DC comics having any kind of over cover prices people were willing to pay - and i would say that GL 76 got read, over and over, as i know i re-read my Adams comics many times. It wasn't until 85 and 86 that the comics world went truly Adams crazy - prior to then, most people seemed to prefer Kirby and Ditko Marvel comics - but thems just my recollections off the top of my head. I might have a detail or two misremembered or out of proper time line sequence

893applaud-thumb.gif Always good to hear from someone who was actually there. I'd never considered the Christmas-time on-sale date of the April cover-dated GL #76. That's very likely a part of the puzzle. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif Always good to hear from someone who was actually there. I'd never considered the Christmas-time on-sale date of the April cover-dated GL #76. That's very likely a part of the puzzle. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It is POST Christmas aspect which further makes it scarcer - you go into January, maybe even February, and sales go down on most everything in the country - people were out of bucks

I always got a stack of comic books for Christmas, and had to hustle the month or two after Christmas to get books, especially speculation-type extra copies.

Fascinating stuff from Bob.

Since GL 76 predates Conan 1, I would hope that like Showcase 4, GL 76 eventually garners the respect as starting the Bronze Age. Given its scarcity in HG -- I can see why it has the potential to reach some new heights, and may have the potential to become the highest value book of the Bronze Age.

I love this book -- and I especially enjoyed Bob giving us some perspective on what has driven the scarcity.

Since GL 76 predates Conan 1, I would hope that like Showcase 4, GL 76 eventually garners the respect as starting the Bronze Age.

Nope, as GL 76 had absolutely nothing to do with the Marvel Bronze Age, which is all about death, anti-heroes, violence, horror elements, etc., all trends that are in evidence with Conan.

When you talk about DC and Marvel in the early-70's they are two totally different animals. In terms of trend-setters, DC is GL 76, while Marvel is Conan #1, and those two books are very different as well.

Also, you point to the fact that Conan #1 is so plentiful as a negative, when in reality, it's a huge positive for its influence and instant popularity. Publishers emulate financial success, not failure.