• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is up with shipping fees on ebay??

43 posts in this topic

I agree with you on your statements.I Charge 8.50 for a cgc book shiped priority in the usa I live in Post falls Idaho which is in the west It usually costs me 5.75 to ship to the east and and a little less than 5 for on the west coast.I put the book in a bubble wrap envelope which costs me .35 cents I include delivery confirmation with the price which is .45 cents. I ship mostly to the east so I would say the average is around 6.00 dollars.That is 2.50 more that I am pocketing I guess.Also in the mix of things if the payment comes in from paypal and I am at the computer and its 15 minutes from the post office closing I will package item securely and fly out of the house ducking wind rain snow sleet hail dust storms sunshine, it doesnt matter what is happening out there I hop in my car and go and get to the Post office and package is mailed, Item is paid for and it now belongs to them and they deserve to have it shipped right there and then if it is possible for it to go,So I figure that must be worth 2.50

I can't speak for everyone, but $7-$9 seems to be average for one CGC book. I sure wouldn't be shocked to have $8.50 quoted as a S+H cost.

How about some advice on this one.

Bought four books from a guy that I had dealt with before and had never had a problem with. After a couple of weeks and the books had not arrived I contacted him to find out where they were. Firstly, let me say that these books are not run of the mill purchases:

Rangers Comics #38 CGC 8.0 Bethlehem

Bomba #5 CGC 9.6

Brain Boy #5 NM Bethlehem

Detective #427 NM

Secondly, I bought the books on 4-6 April, paid for them all on 7-8 April. I paid $40 US for air postage to Australia.

It normally takes 6-7 days to get there, 14 days max.

I contact him on 29 May (I am a very patient person) to ask him where the books are. It takes him a week to come back to me to tell me he will look into it. I follow up on it two more times. Eventually on 22 June he comes back to me and tells me that his shipper has sent the books by surface mail.

I am by now extremely angry because he just dismissed it and didn"t even apologise. He didn't mention anything about refunding postage (which is significantly different). He didn't seem to care that these are important books to me and I really didn't want them being beat up and destroyed by US Post.

Now I haven't done anything about it because I haven't received the books yet (could take a few more weeks), but when I do get them WHAT WOULD YOU DO?????

893censored-thumb.gif893frustrated.gif

I don't charge for shipping, I always cover it. If on the off chance I offer an item for a starting bid on 1 cent with no reserve, I would ask for $3.85 priority mail shipping. But that's so rare I can't remember the last time. I rarely bid on an auction out of country (unless it's a Kid Colt Album) or if the person says cost to ship is more than $6.00. I try not to buy anything too expensive except from recognized dealers or W.O.M. referrals, ya know?

On the other hand - it could work to your advantage. I saw someone selling Amazing Spider-man 242 cgc 9.8 and 326 cgc 9.8. There were two other books - he said shipping was 12.00 for the comics. I emailed him and asked him why and if he would combine the auctions. He said he mailed comics from work - so his job was actually paying for the shipping. He also told me he had to wait 3 days until his manager was not there - so I said ok and kept my eye on the auctions. As I thought nobody bid on them and I wound up getting the ASM 242 for $20.00, the ASM 326 for 11.99 and two other spider-man comics cgc 9.8 for 10.99 both. He also had no reserve. acclaim.gif

Talking about shipping fees!

I just ordered from www.bagsunlimited.com

The shipping came to $75.35!!!!

I know it is to England but come on

Its 50 mylar, 50 backing boards and 2 boxes

You think that's a surprise? Wait till you get hit by customs & excise for the VAT of 17.5%. 893frustrated.gif893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

Borg i have decided no to go through with the buy

The total would have come way above $150

boo.gif

I charge cost of stamps only, generally priority mail, always ship within 24 hours of receiving payment (if the PO is open) and pack to survive a bomb.

Ain't that the truth. Took me literally about 5 minutes to get through all the packaging to actually see the comics. Much appreciated by the way! grin.gif

Jim

I charge cost of stamps only, generally priority mail, always ship within 24 hours of receiving payment (if the PO is open) and pack to survive a bomb.

Ain't that the truth. Took me literally about 5 minutes to get through all the packaging to actually see the comics. Much appreciated by the way! grin.gif

Jim

Customer service is job one!

Talking about shipping fees!

I just ordered from www.bagsunlimited.com

The shipping came to $75.35!!!!

I know it is to England but come on

Its 50 mylar, 50 backing boards and 2 boxes

flamed.gif

I just shipped a 5 lb package to Hertfordshire via USPS Express for $41.75. Let me know next time if you want exact shipping smile.gif

893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gifA lot has been said for both sides in this thread. This topic comes up once every couple of months I guess. Best thing to do is to ship according to thw USPS rates, FEd Ex rates, UPS rates, as quoted on the website. Nothing beats exact postage.Get a scale. come up with exact postage quote or options based on weight. The cost of selling and conducting business (packaging, gas, "handling" bs charges) on eBay should be absorbed by the seller, and written off as business expenses on their taxes. Don't bother to pass it on to the buyer. That's your job to take care of it and not the buyer's. No lame excuses about this being a hobby and I only do it a couple of times. If that were true then you can afford to absorb costs or build it into your starting bid. However, I have a feeling that most of the forum members here actually sell on eBay, in volumes close enough that they should be reporting their ebay income on their revenues at income tax time.

893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

DAvid king - you are absolutely lucky about not ever having a cracked slab in a bubble envelope. That is not the norm however. CGC books are too fragile to travel without cracking in just plain bubble envelopes. Unless you creat a hard cardboard sandwich/shield surrounding the slab. Then maybe this will allow you to escape the inevitable cracking that will occur with shipping CGC;d books using a bubble envelope. Those things get piled on at the P. O. - I've had several shipped to me that way and I was sure to give the seller an earful especially since my reply message indicating my payment method includes specific instructions to box my books, since if it is not boxed the mail person tries to bend and cram it into my small multi-unit postal box. I would be hesitant to buy from you even if you had a book I needed unless you could assure me that you would box it up. Sometimes it is worth paying the priority for 2-3 lbs rate because it is boxed. You are not really doing anyone but yourself a favor by offering cheaper priority shipping at 1-2 lbs in a bubble envelope when you consider how much more it costs to reslab a cracked case. I almost crapped myself when one of our forumites sent me a CGC'd high grade variant in a f'king bubble-lope. BTW, how dan dripsta's hulk 181...well worth the trouble?

Jonnydouble lives an hour and a half south of me in VA - as long as his CGC books were packed well and boxed ( and they were! Kudos JD!) media mail works well enough as all rates between his address and mine take one day turn around.

Joanna and Donut both use the pririoty flat rate envelpes and pack very carefully.

I've run into my share of postage bandits and for the most part, I give it to them in a polite way, after all I did bid on thier stuff. Sometimes I won the books cheap enoguh to compensate for the rip off rate. But how much sweeter would the deal be if I won the book for $2 and only paid an addition $2 for media mail shipping instead of $6 - 10$ for priority mail?

This will always be at the forefront of discussion. Everyone beleives they are entitled to different things when it comes to shipping. If eBay or the gov't could only step in there and regulate how we send things, we all be in a much better place for transacting on eBay.

How about some advice on this one.

Bought four books from a guy that I had dealt with before and had never had a problem with. After a couple of weeks and the books had not arrived I contacted him to find out where they were. Firstly, let me say that these books are not run of the mill purchases:

Rangers Comics #38 CGC 8.0 Bethlehem

Bomba #5 CGC 9.6

Brain Boy #5 NM Bethlehem

Detective #427 NM

Secondly, I bought the books on 4-6 April, paid for them all on 7-8 April. I paid $40 US for air postage to Australia.

It normally takes 6-7 days to get there, 14 days max.

I contact him on 29 May (I am a very patient person) to ask him where the books are. It takes him a week to come back to me to tell me he will look into it. I follow up on it two more times. Eventually on 22 June he comes back to me and tells me that his shipper has sent the books by surface mail.

I am by now extremely angry because he just dismissed it and didn"t even apologise. He didn't mention anything about refunding postage (which is significantly different). He didn't seem to care that these are important books to me and I really didn't want them being beat up and destroyed by US Post.

Now I haven't done anything about it because I haven't received the books yet (could take a few more weeks), but when I do get them WHAT WOULD YOU DO?????

893censored-thumb.gif893frustrated.gif

Shroom - give him feedback that reflects his inadequacy in the area of customer service. Sometimes the delay is the post fault. I mailed a package to Chromium in Belgium via USPS Exoress - it left here 6/10 and somehow it was detained in Germany (Damn you Jens!) and sat in customs until 6/25 and finally got to Chromium on 6/27??? So minus wait at customs in Germany (why customs here? maybe because the Belgians are all stoned from thier hash bars all high on the white horse, that they couldn't assess the difference between a bomb and a bong coming through their country?), it would have been express 4 days....factor in customs now...lucky it wasn't a month longer....oh and by the way I sent your Hulk books out today! grin.gif

893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

DAvid king - you are absolutely lucky about not ever having a cracked slab in a bubble envelope. That is not the norm however. CGC books are too fragile to travel without cracking in just plain bubble envelopes. Unless you creat a hard cardboard sandwich/shield surrounding the slab. Then maybe this will allow you to escape the inevitable cracking that will occur with shipping CGC;d books using a bubble envelope. Those things get piled on at the P. O. - I've had several shipped to me that way and I was sure to give the seller an earful especially since my reply message indicating my payment method includes specific instructions to box my books, since if it is not boxed the mail person tries to bend and cram it into my small multi-unit postal box. I would be hesitant to buy from you even if you had a book I needed unless you could assure me that you would box it up. Sometimes it is worth paying the priority for 2-3 lbs rate because it is boxed. You are not really doing anyone but yourself a favor by offering cheaper priority shipping at 1-2 lbs in a bubble envelope when you consider how much more it costs to reslab a cracked case. I almost crapped myself when one of our forumites sent me a CGC'd high grade variant in a f'king bubble-lope. BTW, how dan dripsta's hulk 181...well worth the trouble?

Hi Darthdiesel

I guess you assumed that I ship a CGC book in a bubble envelepe since I said that was a part of the cost.I ship a cgc book in a bubble envelope packaged in a priority box with plastic packaged all the way around it.I cant imagine shipping 1 in a bubble envelope by itself although it has been tried right Greggy,.You can rest assured if you ever buy something from me Darthdiesel Your purchase would be treated the same as any one else I sell to.As far as Dan Drista goes its still in limbo but appears I will be coming out ahead by about 200.00 to 250.00 after everything is flipped.Ive flipped a couple items already.

Thanks and sorry about the confusion in how I package CGC books as I wouldnt want anyone else to think I ship badly.

Davidking623

Oh and congratulations on the new one as I have 7 myself .They are such a great kids I am truly lucky Oh I mean Blessed as my Mother tells me.

Ill post pics of my 74 Nova SS that Ill try and be flipping in a little over 2 weeks.Buying it locally with the sales of my comic books.3650.00

Oh and by the way I guess this is 893offtopic1.gif

you are the man! don't worry about the 893offtopic1.gif - everything seems to end up that way...damn that greggy....first wrinkled comics, now the bubble wrap only... sorry for misinterpreting your comments...you can res tassured we'll be doing business...blessed is right! 7 huh? You'll have to show off pics on here sometime like I shamelessly do with mine!

Shroom - give him feedback that reflects his inadequacy in the area of customer service.

Just got back from Hong Kong and there are the packages waiting for me. Total cost of mailing was $20US. They were well packaged.

Normally I leave excellent feedback for this guy but this time I was very low key. Will send him an email to outline my frustration with his service.

All in all though....the books did arrive.

Shroom - give him feedback that reflects his inadequacy in the area of customer service.

Just got back from Hong Kong and there are the packages waiting for me. Total cost of mailing was $20US. They were well packaged.

Normally I leave excellent feedback for this guy but this time I was very low key. Will send him an email to outline my frustration with his service.

All in all though....the books did arrive.

Slightly 893offtopic1.gif...How does that Brain Boy #5 look... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif ...seeing as you and i were bidding on it, I am slightly curious.... insane.gif

I bought some books last week, real [!@#%^&^] and just sent them back. The seller charged me 2.20 for insurance, yet never insured the package.

She tells me she is Self Insuring her items, and keeps the money to pay claims if she ever has them. What a load of spewwwww

She must think she the city of New York, self insured and all.

I am not sticking up for the high price Bags Unlimited charged you. However, those boards weigh a ton. A local comic shop in town charges a lot for boards because he has them shipped to him. We get charged for his shipping fees.

Another shop charges less, he picks his boards up at a local distributor, he passes those savings on to customers. Boards are just dead weight and cost a ton to ship, wheter it's USPS os UPS, it's all tied to wight and they are very heavy indeed.

"She tells me she is Self Insuring her items, and keeps the money to pay claims if she ever has them. What a load of spewwwww"

I agree. I think it's illegal as you have to be licensed to provide insurance. Ask for her License #. Also what happens if your claim with her would come back as denied because of poor packaging? 893whatthe.gifThat's why 'self insurance' bugs me to no end.

893censored-thumb.gif