• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Special Edition Comics #1

44 posts in this topic

Nope, not surprised at all. Though, I would think page quality is an issue. It is in old slab so expect to see reslab on this one.

The previous price we have recorded was for May 2005, for $15,525.00 - this is the same book but with a fall of almost $5,000.00 - same PQ.

Special Edition guides for way too much. The problem is that it is a common book. There are Fawcetts that guide for much less that are actually worth more.

Steve

Yes, basically a stand alone book by itself. Not part of a run or anything that would help to encourage collectors to pick it up. For a collector to pick up this book, they would have to be looking for this book specifically or a Fawcett completionist.

Not too many of these collectors around in today's high price GA market.

The big thing about this book is that it is the first book dedicated solely to Captain Marvel. In a what this is Captain Marvel #1. Plus it's a Simon cover(I think). Now, this book is on my list as a GA Captain Marvel completionist but you are right, it is a very limited market with probably more "value conscious" buyers than collectors with deep pockets. The same thing is happening to Whiz #2(1).

Edit: You know, I am thinking of a cover to Overstreet that's an homage to this book. It's probably CC.

So what do you guys think this book is worth?

It sold through Heritage in 2001 for $26,450. Then it sold again in 2005 for $15,525. Now it just sold on eBay for $10,300. Which price is correct? (Or are none of them correct?)

Personally, I think the $26,000 price was insane. But I also think that $10,000 is too low. Special Edition 1 is definitely not the most in demand book, but I would think that a Golden age key issue like this one (even one that consistently brings in less than guide) should at least sell for a slight premium over 9.2 guide price when its a 9.4 pedigree. I would estimate this book's value at around $14,000-$15,000 myself.

What does everyone else think?

The big thing about this book is that it is the first book dedicated solely to Captain Marvel. In a what this is Captain Marvel #1. Plus it's a Simon cover(I think). Now, this book is on my list as a GA Captain Marvel completionist but you are right, it is a very limited market with probably more "value conscious" buyers than collectors with deep pockets. The same thing is happening to Whiz #2(1).

You have to also remember the market value attached to being the so-called "first" of anything only works to a certain limit. Another prime example would be Skippy's Own Book of Comics.

Another stand alone book featuring the first comic book dedicated to a single character. I guess collectors are willing to pay extra for this "first" if it involves only hundreds of dollars, but not so much if it involves thousands of dollars.

These types of books have probably hit their price limit in the guide and are waiting for the market to catch up to them.

This book always seems to sell well under guide in every grade.

Just curious, let's say (hypothetically speaking) the last 20 times a copy of this book sold it's selling price averaged 40% under guide. Would Overstreet ever take this real world market value into account for the 2007 guide?

This book always seems to sell well under guide in every grade.

Just curious, let's say (hypothetically speaking) the last 20 times a copy of this book sold it's selling price averaged 40% under guide. Would Overstreet ever take this real world market value into account for the 2007 guide?

Well, we'll see about the limits of Overstreet's philosophy on moving individual issue prices when the 2007 guide's New Adventure #26 prices get listed.

Also, Bob Overstreet has a soft spot for Captain Marvel.

Haha. Short answer - no. most likely he would stop raising the price (or a token 1-2% increase) for several years in hopes that the market would eventually catch back up.

Overstreet is loathe to move price up quickly and almost never lowers them. The only time I can actually remember a key book being lowered was when Fantasy #15 and FF #1 each went down $100 (from $1200 to $1100) back in the early 80s. In fact one of the main reasons he used to disagree with Warren (who ran the updates) was that Warren would quickly raise Silver Age prices in attempt to actually keep pace with the market. One of the biggest increases that sticks out (percentage-wise) was Mysterymen #1 tripled in price one year in the mid 90s, but even the tripled price was less than half what Drennan had sold a high-grade copy for the year earlier.

If you look in old RBCC's from the mid-late 70s right before Snyder started buying big, many dealers lamented the high prices for Golden Age keys in Overstreet as they couldn't get anywhere near guide for most and were begging him to lower them.

You have to also remember the market value attached to being the so-called "first" of anything only works to a certain limit. Another prime example would be Skippy's Own Book of Comics.

Another stand alone book featuring the first comic book dedicated to a single character. I guess collectors are willing to pay extra for this "first" if it involves only hundreds of dollars, but not so much if it involves thousands of dollars.

These types of books have probably hit their price limit in the guide and are waiting for the market to catch up to them.

Didn't Detective Dan precede Skippy? Or did Detective Dan, Ace King etc consist of stories about more than one character?

Didn't Detective Dan precede Skippy? Or did Detective Dan, Ace King etc consist of stories about more than one character?

Adam;

Not exactly sure as OS now lists Detective Dan as the "first comic of a single theme." He still lists Skippy as the "first comic book of reprints about one character." On the other hand, OS also continues to list Detective Picture Stories #1 from 1936 as the "1st comic of a single theme." confused-smiley-013.gif

Goes to show my age since I still think of Funnies on Parade as the first comic book, and everything else before that as pre-comic books. Well, I am sure we are now both going to get slapped on the wrist for leaving out Obadiah Oldbuck. 27_laughing.gif

Adam;

Not exactly sure as OS now lists Detective Dan as the "first comic of a single theme." He still lists Skippy as the "first comic book of reprints about one character." On the other hand, OS also continues to list Detective Picture Stories #1 from 1936 as the "1st comic of a single theme." confused-smiley-013.gif

Goes to show my age since I still think of Funnies on Parade as the first comic book, and everything else before that as pre-comic books. Well, I am sure we are now both going to get slapped on the wrist for leaving out Obadiah Oldbuck. 27_laughing.gif

I'd have checked Overstreet but haven't bought one in several years. I'll probably got some copies on the cheap to fill in my run at some point.

The only time I can actually remember a key book being lowered was when Fantasy #15 and FF #1 each went down $100 (from $1200 to $1100) back in the early 80s.

For some strange reason, Mad #1 decreased in value at the 9.2 price from 2005 to 2006.

Just after I purchased my CGC 9.8 copy!!! frustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif