• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 17 "Larson" copy on ebay???

13 posts in this topic

Sorry, I don't know how to make the link but an old-time seller (Ed Sobolak, in Texas) is trying to sell a Batman 17 as the "Larson" copy and claims that CGC has certified it as such (they've made this type of error before, but not on a book from 1943 for goodness sake). The label is too fuzzy in his photo to see.

I courteously contacted him via email, and his reply was "Bull", that he purchased the book directly from Joe T. 30 years ago, and the -script "L" on the cover proves it's a Larson.

He further asserts that he bought "many" books from Joe T. before the Larson master list was constructed, so I guess we can see more of his "Larsons" coming up in the future.

Buyer beware, indeed...

STEVE Got Larson? (not in this case, he doesn')

Sorry, I don't know how to make the link but an old-time seller (Ed Sobolak, in Texas) is trying to sell a Batman 17 as the "Larson" copy and claims that CGC has certified it as such (they've made this type of error before, but not on a book from 1943 for goodness sake). The label is too fuzzy in his photo to see.

I courteously contacted him via email, and his reply was "Bull", that he purchased the book directly from Joe T. 30 years ago, and the -script "L" on the cover proves it's a Larson.

He further asserts that he bought "many" books from Joe T. before the Larson master list was constructed, so I guess we can see more of his "Larsons" coming up in the future.

Buyer beware, indeed...

STEVE Got Larson? (not in this case, he doesn')

fast eddie is still at it deep in the heart of tejas...lol

For those who don't know, Larson is thought to have stopped collecting comics in late '41. Batman #17 came out in 1943. Also, a scripted "L" is not one of the identifying marks of a Larson copy. Usually, it's "Larson", "L. Larson", "Lamont", or a 2 or 3 digit "call back" number.

Many books also have "ON" for Omaha News, or "PN" for Publisher News.

I asked the seller for a larger scan, and he sent it. It's just as blurry, but does appear to have the Larson designation on the label.

Maybe Steve or Mark can chime in on this?

Here's an example with the "ON" and "Larson" identifying marks...

thrilling11.jpg

re: "Fast Eddie"

Yes, I remember him and his poor reputation from the old days and was warned away by many other collectors. Seems that things have not changed.

He just contacted me again, and is being argumentative. I explained to him that CGC's and his reputation are both on the line, but he doesn't care.

I just got off the phone with West at CGC, and they are attempting to resolve the problem but are having the same difficulties.

STEVE

re: "Fast Eddie"

Yes, I remember him and his poor reputation from the old days and was warned away by many other collectors. Seems that things have not changed.

He just contacted me again, and is being argumentative. I explained to him that CGC's and his reputation are both on the line, but he doesn't care.

I just got off the phone with West at CGC, and they are attempting to resolve the problem but are having the same difficulties.

STEVE

Just another arrogant who doesn't get it. His loss, he can't get away with this kind of BS ala the "old days". Everyone has a computer and more and more people are coming to these boards. The jig is up. makepoint.gif

I agree, Phil - hopefully Sobolak (doing business on ebay as "gdyaned13", btw) will come to his senses one of these days. Amazing that his feedback can be so high, all things considered.

Now he's claiming that I'm "blocking" (???) his emails to other parties, and he is being VERY defensive. Perhaps he's had too many darts thrown at him over the years, and he just goes bananas over the slightest contact.

I've never bought a book from Sobolak, and I never will.

STEVE Got Larson?

To his credit, Ed just sent me this email. All I had asked was for the bigger scan and whether Larson was on the CGC label. I never suggested that it wasn't the Larson...

"Hi FYI---This may not be the Larson. I did get it from Joe Tricharichi 30 years ago--but its not on the "official" list. Of coursr CGC "ERROR" Books could be hot!!! We will probably pull it---trying to get independent verification --- gdyaned13"

To his credit, Ed just sent me this email. All I had asked was for the bigger scan and whether Larson was on the CGC label. I never suggested that it wasn't the Larson...

"Hi FYI---This may not be the Larson. I did get it from Joe Tricharichi 30 years ago--but its not on the "official" list. Of coursr CGC "ERROR" Books could be hot!!! We will probably pull it---trying to get independent verification --- gdyaned13"

You know what, good for him. I'm not going to block "gdyaned13" from my seller list quite yet. Although he's on double-secret probation for the alleged tone he took with sacentaur.

You know what, good for him. I'm not going to block "gdyaned13" from my seller list quite yet. Although he's on double-secret probation for the alleged tone he took with sacentaur.

Well, at least he's coming around. Nonetheless, it shouldn't have gotten to this point anyways. makepoint.gif

I agree, Phil - hopefully Sobolak (doing business on ebay as "gdyaned13", btw) will come to his senses one of these days. Amazing that his feedback can be so high, all things considered.

Now he's claiming that I'm "blocking" (???) his emails to other parties, and he is being VERY defensive. Perhaps he's had too many darts thrown at him over the years, and he just goes bananas over the slightest contact.

I've never bought a book from Sobolak, and I never will.

STEVE Got Larson?

I wish I'd never bought a book from Sobolak, and I haven't in the 18 years since the last purchase.

FYI, Sobolak has pulled the Bat 17 auction because of some "quibbles" (perhaps he has a different definition of the word than the rest of us).

I know that he has been contacted by several collectors and CGC regarding the error, yet he persists anyway.

Rationalization 101 at it's best....

STEVE Got Larson?