• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman #20...need advice please!

8 posts in this topic

Hi Guys...I'm just beginning to buy a few GA books here and there and I think I got a good deal on this Batman #20:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N%3AIT&rd=1

It arrived over the weekend and I'm pretty happy...it does appear to be a solid VG, but has the bizarre piece of tape on the front cover. It is definitely a recent mishap because you can tell it is modern tape (still clear) and looks to be only partially stuck to the cover. Since there are no tears or holes in the vicinity of the tape, I'm sure it was a case of some careless person handling the comic that accidentally got the piece of tape from the bag stuck to the book. Anyway, should I see about getting the tape removed...would that be considered restoration? Or should I just leave well enough alone...?

I have a nice Wonder Woman 8 that has a tape pull on the front cover - and there is no reason that I can see for any tape to have been there (no tear, rip, or hole).

Probably just one of those things - I'd enjoy the book as is.

STEVE Got Larson?

Hi Guys...I'm just beginning to buy a few GA books here and there and I think I got a good deal on this Batman #20:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N%3AIT&rd=1

It arrived over the weekend and I'm pretty happy...it does appear to be a solid VG, but has the bizarre piece of tape on the front cover. It is definitely a recent mishap because you can tell it is modern tape (still clear) and looks to be only partially stuck to the cover. Since there are no tears or holes in the vicinity of the tape, I'm sure it was a case of some careless person handling the comic that accidentally got the piece of tape from the bag stuck to the book. Anyway, should I see about getting the tape removed...would that be considered restoration? Or should I just leave well enough alone...?

for this book, the tape may be best left alone, unless it really bothers you. Trying to remove it could tear the cover surface, and then you might be more unhappy with it. I previously had a VG book with a similar tape situation, and CGC graded it unrestored and as a VG, with graders notes that 1 piece of tape was on the front cover. I does not look bad like a stain would...but it is all personal preference in a situation like this...at least the tape is clear !

Well, I'd be torn on that one. If it is truly a recent addition a little naptha on a cotton swab and it should slide right off. Once it dries, rather quickly, it shoud be good as new. If it has been on there a long time, the residue is a different issue, and I do not know much about how to resolve that one.

Hope this helps.

Should you slab it?

Not really. From what I've seen with lower grade slabbed books, it's only helpful if it's a book that is commonly restored. ie (Batman 1, Detective Comics 27-40). Batman 20 is fairly common for Golden Age. Still a great book and a pretty copy.

Personally, I think you should put it in a mylar sleeve and a TRUE acid free backing boad. Both Bill Cole and E.Gerber provide really good options for this.

Should you slab it?

Not really. From what I've seen with lower grade slabbed books, it's only helpful if it's a book that is commonly restored. ie (Batman 1, Detective Comics 27-40). Batman 20 is fairly common for Golden Age. Still a great book and a pretty copy.

Personally, I think you should put it in a mylar sleeve and a TRUE acid free backing boad. Both Bill Cole and E.Gerber provide really good options for this.

The DarkKnight has hit the nail on the head word for word thumbsup2.gif