• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there proper etiquette for reselling books?

45 posts in this topic

Sometimes there are great deals in the Comic Marketplace area on these boards. With that said, is there any etiquette involved in buying books from fellow board members through the Comic Marketplace, with the intention of "flipping" them or better put, reselling them on Ebay etc.

As a seller, does it matter to you?

Does it make a difference if the seller received the price they asked for the book?

How about if there was some negotiating and the seller accepted a lower price than they originally wanted?

Personally, I think the problem with the marketplace as of late is that there are more people buying to flip than buying for their collections.

That being said, I really don't care what buyers do with the books I sell them. confused-smiley-013.gif

There are people who mind and those who do not. I have also had buyers graciously tell me they intend to flip my book. I personally don't care as once it's gone, they can do whatever the feel like with the book. I think the only thing that would upset me or be improper would be if you haggled a price down on a book with the intent to flip it and pocket my money. This is a low blow. But if you hit a BIN in the marketplace, the sellers get's his asking price and you score a deal...more power to you.

When's the last time you walked by a store, saw something for sale for 1/2 price and walked in to say you'd happily pay full price? confused-smiley-013.gif

R.

More like using proper judgement and common sense over etiquette.

As I a seller once I sell a book the buyer can do with it whatever he wishes. On the other hand if a buyer really wants a book and negotiates with a seller in lowering the price and the seller bends because he believes he is helping a fellow collector. Only to find out the buyer is flipping the book he so desperately wanted, then yeah that would bother me but nothing I can do about it, but I would never forget it either.

I think the problem with the marketplace as of late is that there are more people buying to flip than buying for their collections.

Don't understand how this is a negative in the market place? It is an open market.

R.

I have on occasion asked or been asked for a special deal to help fill a need on a particular book.it would be bad form to flip such a book.

I would think anyone getting his price via BIN has nothing to say about it.

I think the problem with the marketplace as of late is that there are more people buying to flip than buying for their collections.

Don't understand how this is a negative in the market place? It is an open market.

R.

What about those that actually need the books for their personal collections? I accept the practice, but that doesn't mean I respect it.

90% of what I buy is to read and then resell. I don't see anything wrong with that. I love comics and want to read as many as I can. If I hit something really nice I will keep it in my collection but most times I resell after I have finished reading it. But if the seller gets what he/she is asking for the books isn't that all that matters....why are they concerned with the books after they have been sold? I can understand if they are giving the buyer a cheap price because they are a member but most things on the market place isn't cheaper then ebay just a whole lot more trust worth for grade and delivery.

R.

What about those that actually need the books for their personal collections? I accept the practice, but that doesn't mean I respect it.

I've seen it go both ways, but people for the most part are civil and I have seen many people give up a BIN because someone else wanted it. Still, it's a free market and there is nothing negative about being in the right place at the right time. I personally don't have the time to LIVE in the markerplace like others do, but if i see a deal i will snag it as would anyone else.

R.

Yeah thats different then I am talking about.

Try to wait until you actually possess the book before you attempt to resell it.

Also, don't haggle saying you really need a book badly, only to flip it a week later.

90% of what I buy is to read and then resell. I don't see anything wrong with that. I love comics and want to read as many as I can. If I hit something really nice I will keep it in my collection but most times I resell after I have finished reading it.

Nothing wrong with selling books, it's more a matter of people chiseling down seller's BIN prices only to give themselves more of an instant profit margin.

R.

I've seen it go both ways, but people for the most part are civil and I have seen many people give up a BIN because someone else wanted it. Still, it's a free market and there is nothing negative about being in the right place at the right time. I personally don't have the time to LIVE in the markerplace like others do, but if i see a deal i will snag it as would anyone else.

R.

As already mentioned...if the BIN is hit...it's irrelevant.

Try to wait until you actually possess the book before you attempt to resell it.

Also, don't haggle saying you really need a book badly, only to flip it a week later.

There was the one time a certain board member not only haggled me down, but then used the numerous scans that he requested of the books to sell them on eBay. foreheadslap.gif

Okay, it was Gman!

There was the one time a certain board member not only haggled me down, but then used the numerous scans that he requested of the books to sell them on eBay. foreheadslap.gif

Okay, it was Gman!

I had one transaction with him, and vowed never to deal with him again. A real piece of work.

I've flipped several books I bought here Paid the sellers price and got the price I wanted.How anyone can object to that is beyond me.

I think what Beyonder is getting at is if a buyer pops a sellers bin thats one thing, but if a buyer negotiates/haggles/bust ballz about lowering the cost of a book from a seller only to flip it later, thats another issue.