• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there proper etiquette for reselling books?

45 posts in this topic

I sell in the marketplace mostly to avoid using ebay.If I sell a book for what I think is a good price,whatever happens beyond that is not my concern.

If someone pleaded poverty and needed a book for his private collection and it turned up for sale the next month,I'd want an explanation.

I think there needs to be a difference made between these 2 things:

1- buying a book saying its for your collection then finding a better copy down the road and selling the undercopy.

and

2- pretending to want a book for your collection and haggling someone down with the sole intention of selling the book.

I had one transaction with him, and vowed never to deal with him again. A real piece of work.

gman Translator:

"It's for my personal collection" - "I have a buyer RIGHT NOW!"

"It's one of my childhood faves" - "Have you see the recent GPA on this issue?"

"That's more than I wanted to spend" - "You're cutting into my profit margin!"

"I really need this sent Priority" - - "I'm listing it on EBay as we speak"

"I need this Fedex Overnight" - "It's already sold"

27_laughing.gif

"Is there proper etiquette for reselling books?"

I've often thought about this question. I generally feel that the marketplace (atleast the side for forum only sales) was a place for collector to collector deals with the intent being for one's collection.

I've never bought a book to flip there or flipped a book I bought there.

The question I have though, is how long does one have to have a book in their collection before selling it is considered flipping? Is it an indefinate amount of time? Or are we looking at the quick flip here?

Sometimes we may buy books here for our collection and at a later date decide to change course, move on, or perhaps we just need money and have to sell some of our collection including some books bought here.

This is where "intent" comes into play for me. I don't think I'd come in with the intent to flip books from the marketplace, but couldn't say that some future circumstance wouldn't cause me to inadvertantly "flip" them later.

On a last note, I would never negotiate a forum member down, tell a sob story, or put on some "poor me" I really need that book for my collection act to ever buy a book from anyone here just to flip it. I think that would clearly be wrong. Now, just popping in and buying it, one can do whatever they want with it, but out of the way deception crosses the etiquette line for me.