• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larson Copy of Marvel Comics #1 on Heritage

217 posts in this topic

I think that maybe that my not be so[Tripling in value for removing the restoration]

Much like the Mile High Superman #1 It will always have the stigma of it once being restored[now unrestored following it] . I just cant see that fact not impacting the price in some way.The book has been tampered with even though the glue was removed.I take unrestored to mean untouched! Im not gonna ask you if the book is unrestored.Im gonna ask you if there was ever any work done to this book.What are you gonna say? I mean the resto has been removed? Work has been done to the book.It will always follow it because it is now documented in a cgc holder.

Time will tell because some day thats gonna happen on a big book.Just one mans opinion.Forcing nothing on anyone.

Just curious but why wouldn't someone with a CGC 8.0 purple label book of this magnitude have the "very minor amount of glue" on this book removed and triple its value? Would it not be worth the time and effort?

MC1L.jpg

absolutley! Even if glue removal caused some minor surface cover damage ( paper loss), this book unrestored as a 7.0 or 7.5 would HAVE TO be worth considerably more without the "stigma" of the dreaded purple label as an 8.0. For $150 in professional conservator glue removal, this book is worth $25,000+ more? It is the biggest no brainer of all time. Crack it, professionally remove the glue, and get this book a blue label !

It's a Larson for goodness sakes....who gives a rip if it has a spot of glue...

you guys kill me.....

How many Larson copies are out there? (1)....you want it....you pay for it.

Re: the post that said

Just curious but why wouldn't someone with a CGC 8.0 purple label book of this magnitude have the "very minor amount of glue" on this book removed and triple its value? Would it not be worth the time and effort?

Does it not seem silly to anyone else that "a very minor amount of glue" should supposedly decrease its value by two-thirds in the first place? Or that rremoving said glue should triple its value, when it should seem obvious to anyone with enough cash to buy the book that removing the glue would be easy? And if it's easy to remove should it really dminish the value to such an absurd degree in the first place?

Why do some people insist on making restoration so ambiguous that all restored books are lumped in together, so that a book with a virtually recreated cover is considered synonymous with a book that has a "very minor amount of glue."?

Just realized two othre things I should have pointed out. This cipy is known to be fadded because a one-time owner displayed it too much. Not to mention it's got a guy's name scrawlled on the cover. (and not a guy who is famous for anything except owning comic books).

Those two flaws are both considerable, but neither of them are considered to have any effect whatsoever on the value. Yet "a very small amount of glue" -- easily removable -- brings on an apoplexy and makes cry it may as well be tossed in the trash; save your money for that perfect 9.8 slabbed copy of a Marvel Mystery reprint! Bound to increase in value while this piece of restored toilet paper sinks out of sight.

Why do some people insist on making restoration so ambiguous that all restored books are lumped in together, so that a book with a virtually recreated cover is considered synonymous with a book that has a "very minor amount of glue."?

it's not some people.....vritually ALL people lump together blue label vs. purple label....just the way it is in the market right now

It's a Larson for goodness sakes....who gives a rip if it has a spot of glue...

you guys kill me.....

How many Larson copies are out there? (1)....you want it....you pay for it.

It not what you say. Its what you pay ! Im willing to bet those words wont be backed up in the auction. Im not talking about you.I making a general statement about the bidding on the book when the time comes

Maybe if it wasn't such a recognizable pedigree it would do better with the glue removed. Most people would know the Larson had a PLOD at one time, and now it was blue. That stigma could mitigate the upward mobility of the book's price.

Maybe if it wasn't such a recognizable pedigree it would do better with the glue removed. Most people would know the Larson had a PLOD at one time, and now it was blue. That stigma could mitigate the upward mobility of the book's price.

...not as much as the G-D forsaken demonic curse on this hobby, spawn from Hell itself known as the restoration symbolizing damned purple label !!

The original Larson list notes for Marvel Comics 1, "tops few pp ruff due to being stuck together".

I presume this refers to siamese pages as I just purchased the Larson Planet 3 and that book has a similar notation on the list.

Glue is a somewhat common trait of Larsons - about 20% of the Larsons I've seen have some glue (usually very minor). Just as many have the name/code erased on the front cover. Some have water damage, and some have ripped siamese pages that may include corner chunks out.

They're still Larsons, and I love 'em all.

STEVE Got Larson? It's Marvel Comics # 1 for goodness sakes!!

Wow.Even the Larson does not have that rich blue cover.

....and the reason being it the first guy who bought this and other GA keys at the first Sothebys auction allowed the book to be displayed in full daylight and sun.....He was not a comic book guy....the book faded....