• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are people starting to actually appreciate great golden age comics?

206 posts in this topic

Dan Greenhalgh bought the Wonder Woman 105.

Now I really regret it...

blush.gif

But, I do remember it sold for a very nice price, for those days.

$3000 smackers!

You exploiter of widows and children, you! poke2.gif

Seems so cheap by today's standards... frown.gif

Granted, if you're a collector of vast means, SA collecting is as simple as signing checks, and you'll naturally gravitate towards the rarer GA stuff.

Collecting Marvels may be a matter of signing checks, but depending on your grade cut-off, collecting SA DCs is not quite that simple. My checkbook has been wide open for years now, but there have been very few opportunities to give people my money.

Ron from Surf City Comics (at least 6'5")

Is that Ron Murray? He is a big guy.

can't remember his last name. He lived out in California, and at one SD Con had a huge stack of NM 181 Hulks that many of the dealers there, including me, bought stashes of them.

Dan Greenhalgh bought the Wonder Woman 105.

Now I really regret it...

blush.gif

But, I do remember it sold for a very nice price, for those days.

$3000 smackers!

You exploiter of widows and children, you! poke2.gif

Seems so cheap by today's standards... frown.gif

It is actually. Funny thing is back in the mid-90's high grade Silver hit, for that time an all-time high in sales numbers. I remember thinking that they had peaked. There would never be $10,000 plus sales for AF #15's again. I think I was even quoted in an article saying that, what I doofus I was.

It is actually. Funny thing is back in the mid-90's high grade Silver hit, for that time an all-time high in sales numbers. I remember thinking that they had peaked. There would never be $10,000 plus sales for AF #15's again. I think I was even quoted in an article saying that, what I doofus I was.

I think we're all guilty of that from time to time. I had serious doubts that $40K for the WM AF 15 at Sotheby's in the early 90s would ever be topped in our lifetime. That's why I laugh whenever anyone calls a market top with absolute conviction, because I've seen people make similar predictions with similar levels of conviction (and be proved wrong) so many times over the years.

Dan Greenhalgh

Havnt seen Showcase in 10 years.Hows he doin and HE STILL DOES NOT HAVE A WEBSITE!

He's still on eBay. I remember Dan once claiming that he could beat anyone in comics one on one in basketball, and put his "mansion" up as the wager. Richard Evans (6'5") and Ron from Surf City Comics (at least 6'5") offered to take him up on the bet, he suddenly pulled up "lame"....

With that big belly???

I think we're all guilty of that from time to time. I had serious doubts that $40K for the WM AF 15 at Sotheby's in the early 90s would ever be topped in our lifetime. That's why I laugh whenever anyone calls a market top with absolute conviction, because I've seen people make similar predictions with similar levels of conviction (and be proved wrong) so many times over the years.

I too remember thinking $10,000.00 for a SA book was about as high as it could possibly go, and I'm still stunned at the levels these relatively common books go for. To me, once it reaches the level that you could buy a decent GA key it's become too much. Let's say you have $35,000.00 disposable income. Given the choice, do you buy a Capatin America # 1 in F/VF or Amazing Fantasy # 15 VF+?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Let's say you have $35,000.00 disposable income. Given the choice, do you buy a Captain America # 1 in F/VF or Amazing Fantasy # 15 VF+?

confused-smiley-013.gif

AF15 in VF+ ..... all day long

Only because it's more popular, but what if you like Captain America better? Not everyone is only interested in return on investment.

I too remember thinking $10,000.00 for a SA book was about as high as it could possibly go, and I'm still stunned at the levels these relatively common books go for. To me, once it reaches the level that you could buy a decent GA key it's become too much. Let's say you have $35,000.00 disposable income. Given the choice, do you buy a Capatin America # 1 in F/VF or Amazing Fantasy # 15 VF+?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Cap #1 without hesitation or reservation. But, I'd try to find some kind soul with a battered Tec #27 he would sell me for the same money....

Let's say you have $35,000.00 disposable income. Given the choice, do you buy a Capatin America # 1 in F/VF or Amazing Fantasy # 15 VF+?

confused-smiley-013.gif

AF15 in VF+ ..... all day long

Yeah, that's the one book I would take over some major GA keys.

Easy. If you are thinking of resale down the road - - AF15. But if you are leaning toward getting a sweet copy of a much harder to find but less collected comic, get the CAP. IMO, at this time, both examples in the grades you chose appear to have limited upside. But, Id lean to Spidey for the future over Captain America. Wouldnt you?

Dan Greenhalgh

Havnt seen Showcase in 10 years.Hows he doin and HE STILL DOES NOT HAVE A WEBSITE!

He's still on eBay. I remember Dan once claiming that he could beat anyone in comics one on one in basketball, and put his "mansion" up as the wager. Richard Evans (6'5") and Ron from Surf City Comics (at least 6'5") offered to take him up on the bet, he suddenly pulled up "lame"....

With that big belly???

sign-funnypost.gif I was thinking the same thing at the time. I figured he had like a 3 inch vertcial. Richard could do a reverse 360 helicopter jam. I would have loved to see him humiliate Dan though, since he was being such a braggart.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Cap #1 without hesitation or reservation. But, I'd try to find some kind soul with a battered Tec #27 he would sell me for the same money....

27_laughing.gif But you get my point. The current market would probably dictate the the AF 15 is the smarter buy (at least right now) but it just seems unnatural to do so. crazy.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif But you get my point. The current market would probably dictate the the AF 15 is the smarter buy (at least right now) but it just seems unnatural to do so. crazy.gif

Very unnatrual. I love AF 15, but not 35 grand worth of love...

I love AF 15, but not 35 grand worth of love...

Bill,

I'm actually a little suprised to hear you say this ( type this ) A high grade AF15 is the biggest no brainer of all time....the potential is so much greater than where the book stands now....and Spidey's popularity is almost umatched.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Very unnatrual. I love AF 15, but not 35 grand worth of love...

I would pick the v.f plus AF15 being that Cap is a 2nd Teir star compared to Superman Batman and Spiderman.Its the only reason. Investment speaking

I love AF 15, but not 35 grand worth of love...

Bill,

I'm actually a little suprised to hear you say this ( type this ) A high grade AF15 is the biggest no brainer of all time....the potential is so much greater than where the book stands now....and Spidey's popularity is almost umatched.

I'm not saying the AF isn't worth the money, or even that it wouldn't be a wise decsion, in reality it would be a much better investment. But I just prefer the Cap #1 or certainly the Tec #27. If I'm going to drop 35k on a book, it is going to be something that thrills me to own and read, and look at, and love. I just don't feel that love for the AF 15 that I feel for the big golden age books. Heck I've probably owned three dozen AF 15's in my life. Still think it is cool as heck, and my favorite Marvel Silver Age key, but in my personal view, not a financial one, I'd take any big golden age DC superhero book and most Timely superhero #1's over it any day in the week and twice on Sunday.

I would exclude second tier golden age books of course (Comic Cavalcade, Mystic, Daring Mystery, etc). I'd take the Af #15 in any grade over those. Just to be reasonably clear.