• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are people starting to actually appreciate great golden age comics?

206 posts in this topic

I swing by General every so often, then have to run back here and post a book to feel clean again.

If only there were a Golden Age marketplace forum (or at the very least, a thread pinned to the top of this forum containing links to Marketplace items relevant to GA collectors)....

Would there be enough traffic to warrant a separate forum? I rarely see GA books listed for sale in the marketplace, but I do like your idea of a thread pinned to the top of this forum with GA books for sale. I know you mentioned linking the Marketplace listings, but you might as well go the full Monty and bring the books directly to the people that want 'em! thumbsup2.gif

Aside from my Spirt stuff (sections & Quality/FH), I rarely collected GA because of the percieved cost. Then I actually sat and read throught the threads in this forum and fell in love with the comics I saw. Needless to say, I've found myself buying more GA comics (Kirby stuff; late 40's and 50's). Thanks to everyone for turning me on to these treasures. thumbsup2.gif

Angelo

I swing by General every so often, then have to run back here and post a book to feel clean again.

If only there were a Golden Age marketplace forum (or at the very least, a thread pinned to the top of this forum containing links to Marketplace items relevant to GA collectors)....

Would there be enough traffic to warrant a separate forum? I rarely see GA books listed for sale in the marketplace, but I do like your idea of a thread pinned to the top of this forum with GA books for sale. I know you mentioned linking the Marketplace listings, but you might as well go the full Monty and bring the books directly to the people that want 'em! thumbsup2.gif

I just looked through the first 7 pages of the marketplace forum and didn't see enough GA for sale to warrant even considering a separate forum, so I made an effort to collect some links to see how that would work. If GA traffic in the marketplace doesn't improve after linking to it through that thread, then honestly there's probably not enough potential support. I'm hoping that it does, and will even post a couple of books of my own for sale in the marketplace (linked in the GA thread) to help keep it active.

I suspect all of us have some non-core GA books that on the margin we'd be happy to move to another forumite, but that aren't worth the hassle of eBay.

There are lots of great GA that has never been reprinted. That is why I love to buy coverless GA. Lots of fun stories & art that I don't mind cracking open to actually read & smell the vintage paper. acclaim.gif

Honestly, I don't dabble often enough in that great Golden-Era, but when I do that's the reason why...

Like a fine cigar... ah, the smell ! thumbsup2.gif

I just looked through the first 7 pages of the marketplace forum and didn't see enough GA for sale to warrant even considering a separate forum, so I made an effort to collect some links to see how that would work. If GA traffic in the marketplace doesn't improve after linking to it through that thread, then honestly there's probably not enough potential support. I'm hoping that it does, and will even post a couple of books of my own for sale in the marketplace (linked in the GA thread) to help keep it active.

I suspect all of us have some non-core GA books that on the margin we'd be happy to move to another forumite, but that aren't worth the hassle of eBay.

Thanks for creating the link thread. I might just take advantage of it and list some GA books in the marketplace myself. thumbsup2.gif

Great idea! 893applaud-thumb.gif It's a shame finding quality GA books sandwiched between the Avengers #185 CGC 9.2 (resub?) and a limited, price variant Wizworld sketch cover of Red Sonja signed by John Madden... tonofbricks.gif

GE

> Talk about staple placement, pressing, bindery tears and spine rolls is on a decline. And is being replaced by talk about how great these books really are. STOP IT!

Couldn't agree more. Things were just fine until Jon Berk started talking about the history of his under-the-radar books without any mention of their CGC grade or value. Apparently, this attracted a lot of bad company who started doing the same. I really miss the old times when we could discuss purple labels, resubs, and books like Action 1 and Detective 27 without all the noise.

Watching there boards over the last few months, I see the beginning of a rather disturbing trend.

Talk about staple placement, pressing, bindery tears and spine rolls is on a decline. And is being replaced by talk about how great these books really are. STOP IT!

Stephen

When are you going to post scans of some of the books in YOUR personal collection. poke2.gif

He at least posted a Pep yesterday. If it's for sale, it's not on his website.

i love bronze age books and love collecting them. but i think if i had more disposible income i would collect more if not exclusivly golden age.

i pretty much have to stay away if i want any depth to my collection.

but they are amazing

Yeah, I looked right away for it. They have posted a substantial number of new early Peps though. Waiting for scans on a couple...

Yeah, I looked right away for it. They have posted a substantial number of new early Peps though....

What a coincidence!

(OK, I confess I took the bait and have my eye on a couple. The prices are steep, but these are high demand books. Let's see how the scans look).

STEVE Got Larson?

Over the weekend we put on the site about 30 early Pep Comics. Right now there is about a 3-day lag between when books go on the site and the posting of the images. The problem is that while lots of people ask for scans right after books are posted to the site, others are not waiting and just ordering the books. Most of the #40s were sold along with the #22 and #26. We spend a lot of time telling people that the most of the scans they are requesting are for books that were sold off the site hours before. We are working on getting these scans up quicker.

Speaking of Peps, I have scanned the Mile High Peps from my collection (1-21,23-35,37-up) and will put them on the site over the next few days. These books are not for sale and will be placed in a special section on the Metropolis site. They are for gawking only.

Stephen

Over the weekend we put on the site about 30 early Pep Comics. Right now there is about a 3-day lag between when books go on the site and the posting of the images. The problem is that while lots of people ask for scans right after books are posted to the site, others are not waiting and just ordering the books. Most of the #40s were sold along with the #22 and #26. We spend a lot of time telling people that the most of the scans they are requesting are for books that were sold off the site hours before. We are working on getting these scans up quicker.

Speaking of Peps, I have scanned the Mile High Peps from my collection (1-21,23-35,37-up) and will put them on the site over the next few days. These books are not for sale and will be placed in a special section on the Metropolis site. They are for gawking only.

Stephen

Got a Millie the Model 2? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Watching there boards over the last few months, I see the beginning of a rather disturbing trend.

Talk about staple placement, pressing, bindery tears and spine rolls is on a decline. And is being replaced by talk about how great these books really are. STOP IT!

Stephen

Actually for the most part I think the GA section has always (at least since I've been here) focused on the enjoyment of the books with the occassional side-track discussion on a controversial topic. And even when that occurs it typically relates to GA books. thumbsup2.gif

Yes, there seems to be a very definite upswing in the viewership for the GA boards.

I still remember when I first came onto this forum a few years ago and the GA boards had the lowest number of posts out of all of the four comic book ages. Well behind the SA, BA, and MA boards as there were no CA boards at that time.

If you look now, the GA postings have now moved into second place behind only the General BS forum. Maybe this is a leading indicator of a possible shift in the mood of the marketplace. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Stephen

Steve;

You really have to talk to Geppi about filling in that gap with his MH copy of Pep #22. Either that, or sell your run to him for a small fortune.

Stephen

Steve;

You really have to talk to Geppi about filling in that gap with his MH copy of Pep #22. Either that, or sell your run to him for a small fortune.

Isn't that the only worthwhile issue of Pep to own? poke2.gif

On a serious note, given the very nice runs of "D" Archie-related issues that have been released thus far, does anyone know if there's a "D" copy of the Pep 22 to be released?