• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are people starting to actually appreciate great golden age comics?

206 posts in this topic

Yes, there seems to be a very definite upswing in the viewership for the GA boards.

I still remember when I first came onto this forum a few years ago and the GA boards had the lowest number of posts out of all of the four comic book ages. Well behind the SA, BA, and MA boards as there were no CA boards at that time.

If you look now, the GA postings have now moved into second place behind only the General BS forum. Maybe this is a leading indicator of a possible shift in the mood of the marketplace. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Indeed. It's hard to keep up sometimes. [Not that I'm complaining.... much.]

I have a few GA books in my collection, but wouldn't call myself a GA collector. Most of the stuff I'd want is so far out of my range, and I just can't bring myself to pay $500+ for a beater copy of a book I want. blush.gif

I've been dropping by the GA forums alot recently though. 3 main reasons:

1. As others have said, it's great learning about the history of comics and there's just a wealth of knowledge here.

2. Alot less controversy in this forum. It is a more fun forum to read tongue.gif

3. Kinda relates with my #2, this forum is infinitely more peaceful and civil.

So, keep up the good work guys! thumbsup2.gif

I have a few GA books in my collection, but wouldn't call myself a GA collector. Most of the stuff I'd want is so far out of my range, and I just can't bring myself to pay $500+ for a beater copy of a book I want. blush.gif

1. As others have said, it's great learning about the history of comics and there's just a wealth of knowledge here.

2. Alot less controversy in this forum. It is a more fun forum to read tongue.gif

Given the fact that most GA collectors expect to run across resto on a regular basis, that few GA collectors are truly "high grade, top census" chasers, and that many GA collectors don't even want their books in slabs, it kind of insulates the conversation from a lot of what's been driving people nuts in General.

Plus, most of these books are rare and/or expensive, and as such just acquiring any copy is an accomplishment we're all excited about. Just because someone's copy of Detective #35 is nicer than someone else's doesn't overshadow the fact that the lower grade copy is still an awesome book.

And with Jon Berk, RareHighGrade, sacentaur, Stephen Fishler, Bob Beerbohm, and plenty of other big time collectors/dealers posting here, the discussions have automatic significance.

edit: I forgot to list Bill Ponseti in that group of big-time GA collector/dealers even though he's very deserving of inclusion, and man, he's sure letting me know about it. wink.gif

Given the fact that most GA collectors expect to run across resto on a regular basis, that few GA collectors are truly "high grade, top census" chasers, and that many GA collectors don't even want their books in slabs, it kind of insulates the conversation from a lot of what's been driving people nuts in General.

Plus, most of these books are rare and/or expensive, and as such just acquiring any copy is an accomplishment we're all excited about. Just because someone's copy of Detective #35 is nicer than someone else's doesn't overshadow the fact that the lower grade copy is still an awesome book.

And with Jon Berk, RareHighGrade, sacentaur, Stephen Fishler, Bob Beerbohm, and plenty of other big time collectors/dealers posting here, the discussions have automatic significance.

Absolutely. Well said!!! thumbsup2.gif

I believe GA collectors can better appreciate how well an acquired book fits with a collector's true interests...Timelys, good girls, horror books, WW2 covers, etc. Getting access to such an incredible wealth of knowledge about comics, seeing scans of rarely seen GA books or celebrating the acquisition of a treasured GA book all make the GA forum very special indeed. cloud9.gif

GE

Speaking of Peps, I have scanned the Mile High Peps from my collection (1-21,23-35,37-up) and will put them on the site over the next few days. These books are not for sale and will be placed in a special section on the Metropolis site. They are for gawking only.

Stephen

Stephen, did you ever have the #22?

Speaking of Peps, I have scanned the Mile High Peps from my collection (1-21,23-35,37-up) and will put them on the site over the next few days. These books are not for sale and will be placed in a special section on the Metropolis site. They are for gawking only.

Stephen

Steve;

You really have to talk to Geppi about filling in that gap with his MH copy of Pep #22. Either that, or sell your run to him for a small fortune.

Geppi doesn't have it anymore.

Watching there boards over the last few months, I see the beginning of a rather disturbing trend.

Talk about staple placement, pressing, bindery tears and spine rolls is on a decline. And is being replaced by talk about how great these books really are. STOP IT!

Stephen

Actually for the most part I think the GA section has always (at least since I've been here) focused on the enjoyment of the books with the occassional side-track discussion on a controversial topic. And even when that occurs it typically relates to GA books. thumbsup2.gif

Yes, there seems to be a very definite upswing in the viewership for the GA boards.

I still remember when I first came onto this forum a few years ago and the GA boards had the lowest number of posts out of all of the four comic book ages. Well behind the SA, BA, and MA boards as there were no CA boards at that time.

If you look now, the GA postings have now moved into second place behind only the General BS forum. Maybe this is a leading indicator of a possible shift in the mood of the marketplace. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's definitely on the upswing as a forum (and that's a good thing yay.gif), but I don't know that it's a marketplace shift. I think there's more interesting conversation to have regarding GA books and it's showing now that there's a good mix of new and experienced collectors.

Sometimes on the internet you can have a perception that interest is broader than it is because the few like-minded individuals that exist on the planet get a chance to meet -- something that would have only rarely happened in the Pre-Cambrian days. The best indicator to me of interest is increasing sales prices on books -- which is something that I hope doesn't happen 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Gold is where it is at, there is so much new one can learn about the industry and comic history in general. Can't say that there is much about SA books that we haven't seen or heard before numerous times before. GA buying is more like treasure hunting, SA buying is more like grocery shopping.

Gold is where it is at, there is so much new one can learn about the industry and comic history in general. Can't say that there is much about SA books that we haven't seen or heard before numerous times before. GA buying is more like treasure hunting, SA buying is more like grocery shopping.

Truer words were never spoken!

893applaud-thumb.gif

GA buying is more like treasure hunting, SA buying is more like grocery shopping.

sign-funnypost.gif and true. I'm enjoying hunting for my new GA wantlist. Whereas when I was silver, the issue was whether or not I wanted to wait a couple of weeks to see if a better copy came along.

Well said.I still will be buying some SA in the future,but I am now mostly focused on collecting Timely's.To own these books that I once could only stare at behind glass in comic stores is very cool.And the whole rarity thing of some of these comics really is a challenge to me....and looking at all the great books posted in this forum sure didn't hurt... 893applaud-thumb.gif

IMO, there is nothing that compares to GA. My current goal, is to compile a run of Action Comics. I buy all of my books raw, so I can examine them thoroughly, before sending them in to CGC. headbang.gif

Stephen

Steve;

You really have to talk to Geppi about filling in that gap with his MH copy of Pep #22. Either that, or sell your run to him for a small fortune.

So who has the Mile High Pep now?

Stephen

Steve;

It's probably not a big deal but I don't generally let out that kind of info without asking the person first.

Unless of course they're a real "butter knife". tongue.gif

Stephen

Steve;

It's probably not a big deal but I don't generally let out that kind of info without asking the person first.

I understand of course.....but what, may I ask, is a "Butter Knife" as you put it.

Stephen

Steve;

I understand of course.....but what, may I ask, is a "Butter Knife" as you put it.

Sure. *butter knife* is the new *spoon*

Stephen

Steve;

Sure. *butter knife* is the new *spoon*

Oh right, how silly of me. I think....

gossip.gif It appears that there is a trend to substitute *spoon* in place of words you were told not to use when you were younger. blush.gif