• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Absolute Sandman Vol. 1

13 posts in this topic

I wasn't sure if I wanted to pick this up, since I have all the individual comics as well as the original hardcovers. But the Absolute Sandman is just such a beautiful package, I had to pick one up. Any other Sandman fans out there?

hi.gif

How is it? How many issues does it cover? What are the "extras"?

It reprints the first 20 issues with new coloring. Just picked it up yesterday, so I've only flipped through it. Looks like the extras include an overview of the main characters with unpublished drawings and sketches, and the -script for "A Midsummer's Night Dream" with the original pencils by Vess.

cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

I've not read Sandman. I've been waiting years for this DC to do this very sort of thing. I'm stoked. I'll have to wait to pick it up though. With my birthday and xmas coming that's the sort of thing that's best left to be gifted. =)

I've not read Sandman. I've been waiting years for this DC to do this very sort of thing. I'm stoked. I'll have to wait to pick it up though. With my birthday and xmas coming that's the sort of thing that's best left to be gifted. =)

Beginning to end, the best written long running comic ever made IMO. I've read it 3 or 4 times and can't wait to read it again.

The artwork, however, ranges from awesome to horrible.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to pick this up, since I have all the individual comics as well as the original hardcovers. But the Absolute Sandman is just such a beautiful package, I had to pick one up. Any other Sandman fans out there?

My honey is a fan, I plan to buy it as one of her holiday gifts.

I took a long flip through it and it's really tempting. The recoloring is excellent, especially when the art improves to match (I always thought Dringenberg's work was kind of rough, albeit effective) so that by the time you get to the last issue it's really pretty sweet. The oversized pages, the binding of the leather cover (no paper dustjacket), it's just a nice package. Yes, the $100 SRP is steep, but Amazon has it for $62 with free shipping. The trades for the same material are about $38, and I think the extra $24 for the better presentation and bonus material is so worth it.

I hope the |New Frontier| book comes out as nice.